What's new

Batman ('60s series) STILL NOT coming to DVD! (Major update post #52) (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Reread a few post up. Fox didn't have to have WB's permission to release the film, as the home video exploitation rights ('other media') had already been covered/negotiated many years ago.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Really, are you guys reading any of this thread instead of just reacting in a "Fuck the studios" way? Do any of you honestly think that FOX and Warners are too stupid to release this and don't know thats it's a potential cash cow? Warners whores Batman out in every possible way imaginable, if they had anyway to get this out in a profitable manner (sorry, but DVD releases aren't charity releases for fan boys...), I'm sure they would of long ago.

And if this makes me a studio apologist, then so be it. I just don't see the point of bashing the crap out of two studios who have for the most part been fantastic with getting good product out if their hands are tied.

If I stumble across copies of this, I'll sneak them, otherwise I'll wait.

I think the real sad part is that Adam West feels the need to preserve his legacy at his own expense. Bless him for doing it.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I can't remember where I read this, but reportedly Adam West recorded bonus material for the series recently. If true, something must be in the works, unless they're just hedging their bets and getting some stuff on tape while he's still with us.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
At the very least I wish the show would go back into syndication on Nick At Nite or another high profile station. I know the AmericanLife Network is currently showing Batman and Green Hornet but unfortunately I don't get AmericanLife through Time Warner here in Greensboro.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Well maybe - just MAYBE - the fact that DARK KNIGHT is at $324M and counting will motivate the concerned parties a bit. It's hard to imagine a better time.

Like a lot of folks, I just don't see how a share of the pie isn't preferable to no pie for nobody, even if it takes some negotiating. Like BLADERUNNER, I'll just believe it's going to happen someday.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I'm very disappointed by this and given how much money Batman is making right now and will make over the holiday season coming with B:TAS coming and the almost-inevitable BR/DVD release for TDK, this is really a missed opportunity.

C'mon Fox and WB, kiss, make up, and in the words of U2 "Gimme what I want and no one gets hurt." ;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I can't tell you how enamored I was with yvonne Craig when I was a kid. Batman, Trek, Bonanza it did'nt matter if she was in it I was glued to the set. I was Partial to her in Green thou, think that's why I became a Trekkie. And the Hips were'nt even the best part !

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The problem is that even if you could see this in syndication with ease, the syndication versions that they show today aren't of very high quality. Obviously, there would be a lot of cuts and pretty much any footage without dialogue is quite noticiably sped up.

troy evans

Screenwriter
The thing is it's because of the popularity of Batman that this is the #1 most requested tv show on dvd. Everyone involved wants their cut of that. If this was a show no one had intrest in we either would still not get it or the studio could have secured the dvd rights far cheaper.The new film, in a way, has contributed to that and I'm sure as Batman becomes more popular the parties involved want more money. Where I get pissed is when the studios wont settle the rights issues so it can be released. In some cases with some properties I can see the studios point that it's not cost effective to release if you can't guarantee buyers. We'll, we're so far beyond that that the millions in securing rights would more than be made up for in sales where as everyone wants these damn dvd sets.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Fox made and released the series, so why doesn't Fox just release it and deal with the consequences later. WB owns the DC version, not the campy classic.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I'm not a roomful of lawyers waving my arms & shouting...but I'm pretty sure they can't do that!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I'm not bashing the studios. I have just reached my limit of patience with this issue and the Bionic shows issue. When and if Batman and the Bionic shows are finally released then I'll gladly plunk the cash down for them. I'm just saying that until that time comes, I will pursue other avenues.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Everybody here keeps stating that this is a Fox/Warner issue; in reality it's a Fox/Warner/Dozier (Greenway) issue. If it was *just* Fox and Warner we would probably have seen some kind of release by now.

Other issues involve:
* Cross-licensing of cameos from other shows of the day (Lurch from the Addams Family; Green Hornet; Colonel Klink from Hogan's Heroes.)
* The depiction of the Batmobile. Some kind of CGI enhancement would probably have to be used in order to get around the current separate licensing issues.
* The ever popular "music clearance issues"; especially for many of the shows in Season One.
* The "Wall Cameos" -- It's rumored that many of these would have to be renegotiated with heirs of the estates.

If we couldn't even get "The Fugitive" in its original state, this show probably doesn't stand a chance of ever being released the way it was originally aired on ABC.

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
the bootleg from the original masters is indeed available...
and un-cut, but shows wear(due to the fact that no restoration
has been done), the color had to be sharpened a bit on my
T.V.
except for a Catwoman episode(second part of her first episode
of the 2nd season), being(for some reason), taken from a TV
Land Canada broadcast(un-cut and in magnificent color) and the
Tallulah Bankhead- Black Widow episodes being shaky to an extreme,
these are very, very watchable(I have watched almost all of the 1st
2 seasons) and far superior to broadcasts shown on TV Land(U.S.),
Family Channel and Sci-Fi.all bumpers(ABC color presentation &
Batman-In Color) and preview of next week's villians are there.
the thing is, if this show became a legitimate release so many people
would double-dip(I know that I would).
like that hasn't been done with Star Trek(triple, quadruple dipping)?
I say, why wait until' you are dead to be able to enjoy this great show?
Fox & Warner's(and whoever else involved), seem to think that it would be
preferable that we should never see this again(same for The Green Hornet,
although Warner's has nothing to do with that).
I couldn't wait forever....
how many decades have to go by without...?
:star:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Okay, first it was THE FUGITIVE. As of today, I can add BATMAN to my shameful list of bought bootlegs!

Having said that, I will still pay top dollar for legit releases of both these series, if they are unaltered.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well considering its the oly batman missinf from the shelf , i will wait, things do have a way of working out, the fact that Adam West has the forsight is a good thing.

i can see the music rights holding this up
i can see the differences between FOX/WB/DC being a hold up
Cameos of other charaters from other series (ie Lurch)
Dozier's estate being a hold up

but what is the deal with the Batmobile, why would you need CGI
and for the other Cameos whay would that be a hold up?

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
and so you would find an altered Batmobile,
not to mention music, or whatever else,
acceptable after your oh-so-long wait?
uh-uh(ugh)(!).....
not me.
I want this to be the way I remember it...
the way I grew up with it.
:star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks