What's new

Batman ('60s series) STILL NOT coming to DVD! (Major update post #52) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Thanks you for saying this; it cannot be repeated enough. Just ALSO remember that the main party that Fox is contending with is DC Comics, rather than Warner Home Video. Besides Fox/DC/Dozier-Greenway (if indeed Dozier-Greenway is still at issue; there are rumors Dozier's daughter has been settled with, but I am not sure if that's true at all), there are just a TON of smaller parties who all want a piece of this very lucrative pie.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Because George Barris and Dean Jeffries designed and built a BATMOBILE that was based on an original design and not any preexisting version.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I think at this point in the game everyone here understands that it's not just the studios involved on the whole. However, it is in complete control of the studios as to wether they will meet the demands of a financial settlement with the various parties involved. To secure the dvd and distribution rights for an upcoming and any future release of this show. I believe the ball is most definately in motion to somehow release this show. How long that takes is anyone's guess. Alot of shows that I never thought would see a dvd release have come and this and many more are sure to follow. It does anger me, however. I'll get over it when I own it I'm sure.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
If everyone who ever worked on, owned some miniscule percentage, or was somehow connected to the show is due some percentage of the pie, why are there any shows from this era available? Personally, I don't buy in to this at all. If this was truly the case, I would think that "The Twilight Zone" would be in rights hell. In that case, you were dealing with dozens of writers, actors, musicians, set designers, the studios, and Rod Serling's estate. It just doesn't make sense to me that Batman is some extraordinary exception.

Personally, I'm done waiting and will pursue alternate ways. If they can't resolve their differences and money disputes in the 10 years since DVD debuted, or in the 30 years since home video debuted, then they never will or just plain aren't trying.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I am starting to disagree. Why would someone as connected to the show as Adam West be taking matters into his own hands if there were even a hint that a legitimate release could happen in the next several years?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but wouldn't that have been a "work for hire"? I can understand them getting credit for their work, but rights to DVD residuals? Doesn't make sense.

It's not like the people who built props, etc. for other shows of the era are getting any residuals for their work.

Seems suspicious to me, unless Barris and Jeffries had really cunning lawyers...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

That's my point. If every person who had some form of creative input got residuals, then we wouldn't see any TV on DVD from this era. There are original set-pieces and props on every television show. Plus, it's very uncommon for people to get residuals from television shows. Gilligan's Island is one of the most notorious for this. None of the stars of the show have received a dime since the day it was cancelled, yet it's been in re-runs ever since and now available on DVD. Somebody had to design the wrecked Minnow, their huts, and the professor's countless inventions.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm curious why all the cameos have to be cleared as opposed to being work for hire. If the original cameo was done gratis - does that matter? Did all the cameos for Get Smart have to be cleared?

I'm not questioning this, just want to be educated. As others have said, why are all these ancilliary issues beyond the ownership of the character/prints an issue for Batman and not other other show?

For example, someone mentioned costumes being a sticking point; Edith Head didn't own a piece of every movie for which she outfitted the cast with original creations; why is Batman different?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Exactly my question. I wonder if these are the real issues.
One of the most concise discussions I've read about the Batman quagmire was written by Dave Lambert (who's chimed in above) on his blog found here

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the mention. I'm toying with the idea of writing an "expanded" version of it.

The reason that this show has these issues, and other shows do not, is because the language in the contracts which should have been present to cover such things, apparently wasn't present. At least, that's what I hear.

More on that when, and if, I do my "expanded" explanation of things.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Thanks, Dave. That's interesting and puts a new (to me) twist on things...it's not what WAS said, but what WASN'T. That makes a lot more sense although one wonders why the attorneys were asleep at the wheel when the contracts were drawn up for this series if other series had such language.

If time permits, I'd encourage you to do the "expanded" explanation. For those of us who like to learn more about the business end of the industry it would be an invaluable reference.

Regarding the Dozier angle...not to be tacky, but his widow, the lovely actress Ann Rutherford, is still alive and somewhat active. She's been known to make publicity appearances occasionally. Perhaps a Batman fan could pose a question to her (respectfully and professionally of course) at one of these events. She probably doesn't know all the legalese details, but I bet she has a general sense of what is going on. She is not the mother of the daughter in the suit though; I believe her mother is Joan Fontaine, another lovely actress still with us albeit reclusive. Dozier sure knew how to pick 'em
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Villafana

I can see your argument, but can't agree that WB has been fantastic in getting good product (77 Sunset Strip, Maverick, Cheyenne, Hawaiian Eye, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Surfside Six, Lawman, Bourbon St. Beat, etc) out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

See, the thing here is that you say WB hasn't been getting good product out, because they haven't gotten out the product YOU want.

While there's a good-sized number of people out there who would buy 77 Sunset Strip, there are lots more - at least as far as Warner can tell, based on info they have available to them (rankings at TVShowsOnDVD, requests/sign-ups at Amazon, customer queries direct to the studio, customer feedback at retailers, prominence of fan sites, etc.) - for, say, more seasons of Everwood.

So why shouldn't Warner spend their time and resources right now on the show they have more demand for?

The product they put out generally IS good. Among the best in the industry, in my opinion (and I see a LOT of product!). Sure, they don't all hit home runs...I haven't stuck in my copy of Birds of Prey yet, but I've heard the complaints. Still, for the most part the studio does the best darn job they can with what they have managed to get released.

Even if they haven't gotten to your list of favorites yet. And I'm sincerely very sympathetic if that's your situation. I'm not trying to torpedo you here, or beat you up in any fashion. I understand your complaint. But please remember, Warner has a Big, really HUGE library of properties. They can't put them all out at once. Hopefully they put some product out that YOU like sooner or later, but in the meantime, the rest of us are really enjoying many of the titles that they have released.

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
based on what I have seen, I do not believe that Warner(WB)
have(and will not), release any B&W shows that they own...
as they seem to think that if it isn't color(and recent), they
have no business with it.
I (personally)would FAR prefer Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip & Surfside Six
over Everwood(now that is at least > 2 < people that want these)!;)
that's just me, though...
I like 60's T.V.(the best).
:star:

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I refuse to get stirred by any talk about Batman coming to DVD. Let's face it, it's the ultimate "when hell freezes over" title. And you just know that when and if it ever does come out, it'll be a Best Buy exclusive. :p

DVD S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Sarff
(you are welcome Ronald)....!
I am of the opinion that Warner releases
great movie titles(including boxsets), which
I do appreciate(being a fan of the 30's, 40's
& 50's films, especially, but not confined to noir titles),
great job WB!
but T.V. titles.......70's,80's,90's,00's(and animation), yes
good job!(but where is 'Homefront'-huh?)
it is a story only half told(no 50's and no 60's).:frowning:
:star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks