What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (2 Viewers)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David Norman said:
I haven't seen Burn Witch Burn though it's been on my Kino wishlist for a while. It sounds like a film I would really
like and it's hard not to like Janet Blair in anything. I would like an answer to the question -- is there something more than a little misogynistic in all these films that the mortal husband always seems to want the wife to give up any powers?

It is a such a frequently recurring theme in so many versions of these and the female almost always says OK.

A good suspenseful story (based on Fritz Lieber's The Conjure Wife), as much psychological as supernatural, but without giving too much away, the wife's protecting his ass here. Shot in great contrast black & white deliberately in 1962, as well, which really amps up the feel of a feature length Twilight Zone episode.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What fun! It is now a few days later and my wife and I are still talking about Sullivan's Travels.

One of the things I realized is that there were several times during the film I hit the pause button and we reviewed certain dialogue. It was so good and was going by so fast. Some of it rather suggestive, too, for 1941.

I love it when you're still talking 'bout or thinking 'bout a film days later.

tumblr_lm59gfKXHG1qfw8bio1_1280.jpg

And I never gave this a lick of attention while I was watching. But, I guess Veronica Lake was only 4' 11" tall!

sullivans-travels-1.jpg

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
And for those following along -- new 15% Coupons should be arriving in emails tomorrow (or 20% if you are a member and lucky enough to make their list)
USPS Coupons have been showing up in mailboxes with 2 20% coupons good past Christmas for those who receive mailing from them.

There are some more upcoming $10 off $75 online promotional codes upcoming

The 'leaked' BF B&N ad for next week show a banner advertising their typical 30% off coupon (coupon not shown) which would be active Thurday through Sunday.
Normally they would also have a CyberMonday online code ??25% off for the last day of the sale.

British TV 50% off should start Dec 1 and go through Dec 15
40% Off all instore BD (sometimes DVD also) starts Dec 16 and runs through Christmas

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. I got my two 20% coupons in the mail yesterday.

When does this Criterion sale end?!?

EDIT: Oh. And on the Veronica Lake issue, I must have been distracted by something else not to notice her height...

veronica-lake-photo.jpg
Veronica-Lake.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, David. I knew I could count on you for that answer.

And, as always, thanks for all your insight on these deals and others.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
New 15% and 20% coupons went out in emails overnight if you get them. Expiration -- Sunday night at the close of business.

Black Friday ad scans pretty much confirm an upcoming 30% coupon. In the past these have had instore prints plus online codes.
These should go out sometime early next week -- sometime Monday, sometime Wednesday. the instore coupons often work early though the online
rarely work before Thurday Midnight (B&N stores have always been closed on Thanksgiving).

$10 Off $75+ total purchase online only (normal exclusions -- no preorders, no GC, etc)
BNTURKEY1 November 19, 2015 at 12:01am to November 21, 2015 at 2:59am Eastern Time
BNTURKEY10 November 23, 2015 at 12:01am to November 26, 2015 at 2:59am Eastern Time.

Free $10 Promo (activated 12/26) with $75 GC purchase is supposed to end 11/22 so don't forget if that a plan.
In the past the GC promo ran through the end of the month.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Update:
Black Friday 30% off Single item actual coupon has a confirmed sighting. Online and Store code/coupons will be available. One coupon for everyone, Re-usable nobody knows until either store or online.

CyberMonday 25% off Single item online code for everyone. Reusable? depends if they fix the glitch. If the BF is re-usable online then CM may be moot for Criterions anyway, but often BN has a few unique sale items just for that day.

Other email coupons should also be mailed Dec 3 -- normal style Unique ID non-member/member. Could be 15/20 or may well be 20/25%

If anyone needs 15% instore coupons for this weekend I do have some extras so just ask (expire Sunday night).
The online 20% above is still active and re-usable

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
If you're thinking about zatoichi, you may want to use the black Friday coupon on that if your store has a copy. remember that word has suggested the print run is expired and it may soon be unavailable once current stock is sold until criterion repackages and reprints it, which could take years, they have several dvd box sets that are pseudo out of print now and have been for a long time awaiting repackaging.

Zatoichi is 225 list so 50% off then the member 10% discount then the 30% off brings it down to 70 before tax. For 25 films.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
20% Off Online -- Re-usable and seems to be working for all customers. Unknown expiration
F8X7X8P

$10 off $75+ Total Purchase
BNTURKEY10 November 23, 2015 at 12:01am to November 26, 2015 at 2:59am Eastern Time.

BLACK FRIDAY 30% OFF
30BFRIDAY - ONLINE Active November 26, 2015 at 12:01am to November 30, 2015 at 2:59am ET

Store Coupon
2015 B&N 30% BF Coupon

25% off online CYBERMONDAY (last day of Criterion Sale
25CMONDAY November 30, 2015 at 12:01am to December 1, 2015 at 2:59am ET

Current and upcoming discount codes for online and store purchases

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question that may have already been answered....

During the B&N sale, if a particular title is sold out, will they let you order and honor the sale price once back in stock?

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Question that may have already been answered....

During the B&N sale, if a particular title is sold out, will they let you order and honor the sale price once back in stock?

I'm not sure but you can order online and they will have it in stock. I think there is a shipping charge if the order is not large enough (which is almost never a problem for me)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm not sure but you can order online and they will have it in stock. I think there is a shipping charge if the order is not large enough (which is almost never a problem for me)

If you can order it online they will send it to you. SOME pre-orders qualify as well. The discounted price (before coupon codes) will show if it will be included. I t will also give the ship date for pre-orders. Some item DO "sell-out" and those items MAY be available later. It depends.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let me clarify the question...

Some items will sell out fast.

If an item is sold out and on back order can you still order it and have the sale price honored?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

If an item is sold out and on back order can you still order it and have the sale price honored?

I the item is "available" to purchase on the website you can buy it. It may be on backorder and there will be an indication "expected ship date ..." AS LONG AS YOU ORDER (and pay) BEFORE THE SALE IS OVER then you will get the price"

To Clarify a bit ... If the item comes up on the site you can purchase it. If it is NOT available for purchase it will NOT appear on the site.

This is different from the Criterion website where items will still appear even if the they are "Out of Print" or sold out.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

They won't give rainchecks if an item is truly OOS at the warehouse and you can't place an order while the sale is active, but a month is a pretty long time.
You can order something is backordered at the discounted price and even if ships after the sale ends, your price is locked in.
It much more uncommon for things to be completely OOS and stay OOS during the 4 week sale than the Criterion 24hr Flash sales.

Most preorders will not be on sale EXCEPT for those released before Aug 1 though any extra discount codes are usually not allowed though there have been a couple
exceptions recently. B&N seems to be changing a lot of their long standing coupon types within the last month and for the first time in my memory are sending out
%off codes that discount the full order rather than single items which have been their std coupons over the years. 10-30% off have been some of the more recent or
upcoming Cart discounts.

If you have a list of items you know you want you can also order them to the store to be held for you. If your store doesn't have them and orders from the warehouse
it's a 2 week hold, if it's an instock item the reserve period is 72 hrs normally. The price you pay if the store price when you pick the items up, not when you order them
however. The same goes for any extra coupon discounts so it can be a bit of an art to time things so everything is active at the same time. OTOH if you change your mind
after you bring it into the store you can decline to purchase without penalty.

Sometimes the timing of the coupons is known a week or 2 ahead of time, but that's not 100%.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
What fun! It is now a few days later and my wife and I are still talking about Sullivan's Travels.
Happened to me with that film, too. On DVD and then again on Criterion blu. Veronica Lake just looks darling in that film.

I'm a real Joel McCrea fan -- all the way from Most Dangerous Game to Ride the High Country.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks