What's new

Axiom and Paradigm (1 Viewer)

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Which ones are better? Axiom M80 Ti and Paradigm 7 or you can't compare this two together?

Or which brand is better?

John

Keith*D

Agent
I don't think that the Paradigm monitor series is comparable to anything Axiom makes. I would feel safer comparing the paradigm studio series. The Studio/40 is one of the better speakers in the world for the money as far as I am concerned. Also in that short list are the Axiom M22ti and the M60ti. The M80ti is a much better speaker as far as I am concerned, but it is all up to the listener.

Keith

Keith*D

Agent
Yes, you could indeed. Not so much in sound but in quality. Unless you have a really big room than I would look at the M22ti, M60ti, Studio 40/60, they are the best for the money IMO.

Keith

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I would say that is an extremely loaded question - there are tons of companies that offer extreme value for their products at their pricing - it all depends on how much you can afford and your relative wealth can allow you to spend.

If I were you, I would just assess how much I could spend, then buy the best speakers I could afford with it.

cabreau

Second Unit
How cheap do you mean? I haven't heard anything as cheap as Paradigm Atoms that sound as good (to me). But I've heard a set of Boston Acoustics at $1200 that I THOUGHT sounded better than the Studio 60's at $1500.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
No one can tell which speaker is better. The best speaker is the one that sounds best to you. We all have our personal preferences, so be sure the decision is with your own ears.

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Say I want to spend around $500 to $700
I already buy and JBL SCS136SI
Complete 7-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package.. I wonder if I need floor speaker?

John

Sheldon C

Second Unit
John, I have the m60's which are 800 a pair, more than you want to spend. I can't tell you how damn good these speakers sound, I have lost so much sleep lately because I can't turn the damn system off! I have heard that the bookshelf m22's sound pretty much exactly the same as my speakers but don't go as loud or have quite as big of a soundstage. Most don't like the m40's quite as much, so I would recommend the 22's over the 40's especially if you have a sub. The 22's cost 400 bucks if I remember right.

ps, I will be receiving a pair of axiom m3ti's on Monday so I'll post my impressions of one of their bookshelf speakers soon after.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
John -
If you've narrowed your choices down to Axiom & Paradigm and are just wringing hands over which specific model, the good news is that you really can't lose.

I've gone through both Paradigm Monitor & Studio stuff and also have Axiom M3ti's in the 'puter loft. I've recently heard a pair of M60's and M22ti's, too. All are truly wunnerful - they're not identical, but they are all very, very good at what they do. I did go from Monitors to the Studios in my Paradigm stuff - I guess that says something there (either about their sound, or the effectiveness of marketing and the sales spiel ;-).

If that price range is a big determinant, then also look at the Axiom Outlet area in their online store. They have "blems" there that practically everyone agrees have miniscule-to-nonexistent blems (I'm still looking for something more than the one pinpoint indentation on the back of one of those 3ti's). Prices there are usually 10% off, which would give you M60ti's @ $720 shipped once they think they've found a blem...

I would generally agree that the Paradigm Studios and the Axioms are a better comparison than the Monitors - except when you can't directly A/B the Monitors with those alternatives. I've also never had the luxury of comparing Axiom M60's vs. Paradigm Studio 60s (which seems like a numerical natural), but that could be some fun (and that's where your budget just might dictate the wiener).

What the heck - decide what you prefer (bookshelf or floor-standers), pick a price, and be thrilled with your choice.

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, the Axiom M60ti is 250 watts and the M40ti is 175 watts.. I just wonder what's the point of buying speaker that I can't use the watts.. because if I am getting an Denon 3803 the output is only 110 watts

John

Keith*D

Agent
Wattage is not that important. You are buying a speaker for how it sounds, not what it can use. The M60 is generally considered to be much more accurate than the M40, as are the M22. The watts you are referring to are simply a maximum, using less on a better speaker is not waste. If you are really looking at floorstanders ONLY and teh M40 is the top of your budget than I would look at PSB image 5T speakers or something other than Axiom. If bookshelves are okay with you than go with the M22.

Keith

JohnChu

Stunt Coordinator
ok... I can get the Axiom M50ti for $780 Cda or $600 US.. is this an good deal?... what can I compare the M50ti to .. with Paradigm?

John

cabreau

Second Unit
The only thing in the price range of the M50Ti is the Paradigm Studio 20's, which are about 700 dollars. Just judging from the looks, I'll bet the Axioms will have better full-range sound, if they are true 3-way. Once I've got my Paradigm HT room all settled and squared away, I'm going to try out the Axioms or the Rockets for my backup HT room. ;)

SethOakley

Agent
John, I just posted a thread about Paradigm and Axiom then I read this. I currently own the Paradigm Monitor 7, and my dad owns the Axiom M22ti’s. He came by to set them up cause he’s still adding components, and I was disappointed in my speakers. Head to head, yeah they are probably about the same but I paid a lot more. I power mine with the Denon 2803, at only 90W/Channel. That receiver powered the M22’s nicely, and I truly feel if I could do it over, I would have saved the money and ordered the M22’s as well. All this being said, if you are going to have the 3803, and considering the M60’s or M80’s, it’s a no brainer. I still love my Paradigm stuff, but come upgrade time I will definitely consider the M80’s. However, if you aren’t sure about a floorstanders, go with those M22’s like Sheldon said. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I had my subwoofer going with these, you would definitely need the subwoofer to be satisfied with the M22’s. I don’t know of many who have Home Theater without the sub anyway. Sorry this post has kind of been all over the place, I’ll just say that in my non-professional head to head comparison, the Axiom M22’s at worst matched the output of my Paradigm Monitor 7’s. Who knows, if I would have bought the M22’s I could have bought a better receiver or subwoofer or projector or screen or surrounds or………………..maybe afford to buy my wife a Christmas gift. :)

cabreau

Second Unit
I don't think that you can compare the Monitor series with the Axioms. The Axioms seem to be a higher caliber speaker, more like the Paradigm Studio series. Seth, have you compared those Axioms to the Studio 20's for instance? I'd be interested in hearing the results, because I really like the looks of both the Axioms and the Rockets.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I have heard the M22 and the Studio 20...though not side by side.

It is a very well matched comparison. I think the M22 was a little cleaner from the mids on down.

SethOakley

Agent
Cabreau, I compared those two speakers cause that’s what my father and I own. All I know is that for the money, the Axiom is a better performer. BASED ON PRICE ALONE, I believe you would have to compare the Paradigm Mini Monitor or something from the Performance line of Paradigm to the M22ti’s. $400 for a pair doesn’t buy you much from Paradigm, but it sure does with Axiom.

Maybe I’m wrong, but that is how my mind works. I want to get the best speaker I can for a certain price point. If we are simply trying to get the best speaker out there, most of us aren’t even in the game cause we can’t afford it. So when you said that I cant compare the Monitor 7 to the Axiom M22ti, you’re probably right because the Monitor 7 is quite a bit more expensive. If you’re budget doesn’t have a ceiling, by all means we should look at all avenues. But for the other 99% of the world, I think comparing speakers in the same price category would be effective.

You called for an Axiom M22ti vs Paradigm Studio 20 comparison. Based on MSRP: You could get (4) M22ti’s($400/pair) from Axiom, or (2) Studio 20’s($800/pair) from Paradigm. To me, comparing those two speakers would be hard to compare because they are in different price categories. Am I wrong with this thought process?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks