What's new
World Wide Stereo

Are shadows to be expected with any flat panel? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I bought a Sony 830c and it looks good for the most part, but if I'm playing a game with a bright single color background (blue, in this case), I can see shadows here and there, like smudges. I can't see them during regular television viewing, and they probably wouldn't be terrible to most people even when playing the game. I'm within my return window, so should I return the set for a replacement, or is this a common thing with this technology? If I have to live with it, fine, but if it's not normal I don't want to wait until I can't return it and have no choice. Thanks.

BTW, my mom has a big smudgy shadow on her screen that is always there. She says it doesn't bother her, but I can't even look at her TV. I don't want this TV to end up like that.

728x90

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is LCD.

It has a back light.

It has issues creating black and issues with color uniformity.

That is why we all cried when plasma died.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So, to be expected? Assume you're talking to someone who knows nothing. What do you call this phenomenon, because I'm not even sure what to call it. Though, from your response, I'm assuming yes, taking it back will be a waste of time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not an expert either, but I've noticed similar smudges and streaks on my father's LCD (42" Philips), though his is several years old. I always thought it was some kind of "burn in" from watching channels with parts of the screen that remain static for long periods (like news, weather, or our cable system's music channels).

If you're watching a moving picture, it's not really noticeable, but if the screen is all one lighter color (such as when the screen goes gray for a second between commercials), you can definitely see it.

Not sure why this would appear on your newer TV (unless it was a store demo). If you're within the return period, I'd swap it for another.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I'm new to LED displays but I think what you're seeing is normal due to the limitations of the technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks