What's new

Apple Rumors - WWDC Thread - Panther/G5 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
In this screencap (MacRumors.com) of the Apple Store slip-up, the heading states: "The World's Fastest Personal Computer."

:D

Dual 64-bit processors, AGP 8X, PCI-X, FW800 ...

Word has it that the G5 (I guess we can call it that now) is cooler and uses less power than the G4 meaning Apple has the ability to move WAY beyond anyone in portables...

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
These aren't the iMacs. Expect maybe $1700ish, 2299ish-2700ish, and $2900-4000ish. (numbers based on absolutely nothing in the way of facts)

It has gotten to the point that some folks are dying for these chips to the point price won't matter. The day I bought my 6116 I was planning an upgrade and the same with my 8600. However, my Apple Care doesn't run out on my Dual 500 for a few months and it remains a solid machine to date and it blows away my 3 year newer PB G4 12" with an 867. I can easily wait for Rev 2 or the first price cut, but some folks can't.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
No PowerBook specs leaked.
If you believe MacOSrumors.com you will soon be able to pick up the Dual 1.8GHz 17" Powerbook. They are of course a widely trusted source. ;)

I took a look at the 12" vs 15"Ti vs 17" setup at a Fry's store tonight. Even 15" was huge compared to my 12", but those 17" PB are just too big to be a true portable.

Does anyone have a wireless 802.11g router that supports wake from sleep with powerbooks? I see posts that the Netgear and Linksys have crash when a PB wakes from sleep and attempts to connect. I'm looking to setup a wireless 802.11g network off of a wired Gigabit ethernet switch. I don't own either device and could use some suggestions.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Yeah, I've been able to spend some time working on the 17" PowerBook at the office and I'm not terribly fond of it. Sure the extra screen real estate is nice and if I lived like a vampire, I suppose the ambient lit keyboard would be cool. But it isn't something I'd be comfortable carrying around an airport (no matter what Verne Troyer thinks.) My biggest gripe is the massive amount of space between the leading edge of the machine and the bottom of the keyboard. I just don't feel comfortable typing on it. The 12" is a nice machine, but I'm dying to see what they are planning for the 15" model.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
This WDC sounds exciting - a big one in terms of introducing hardware innovation. Will Jobs' keynote be aired online?

Is all of the buzz surrounding the G5 exclusive to the PowerMac line? In other words, will we see a revamped iMac/iBook/PowerBook with the G5? Or will the G5 filter down later?

The speculative specs make me drool, but PowerMacs are priced out of my league for personal use.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The price point Apple was quoting hardware partners was $1599 for the low end.

Peter,
Eventually it will trickle down into the iBook and iMac.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Looks like Apple accidentally leaked the specs for the new Powermacs. Here is a story on the subject.

The specs look damn impressive! I've been saving for a while to buy a Mac. Looks like I picked the right time! :D

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
It appears that the specs are real...

Job opening @ Apple

Title:Web Publishing Manager WW Apple Store

Summary
Function supports the World Wide Store management team and the 2+Billion online business. The position manages day to day publishing requirements such as image updates, third party loads, pricing changes, new feature enhancements, application improvements and application testing. Position also supports product launch deadlines, managing graphic and business resources to achieve business objectives

:D

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
:laugh: I'd apply, but I don't know if I could handle working for Steve!

Just the thought of dual 64-bit 2 ghz PPC 970 processors hooked up to a 1 ghz bus makes me tingly.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I've been told the new hardware will be ready to ship within 48 hours. The revised 15" PowerBooks are apparently ready to ship, but they are going to hold off releasing them for up to 30 days because they don't want to steal any of the thunder from the G5.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Ok, Why Optical???
One rumor site indicates the new case design (reportedly much more narrow than the current G4, aluminum on the front) allows for either vertical or horizontal placement (like the Playstation 2). They said the logo even flips to the proper orientation.

I wonder if the optical out is the start of an entry into the HTPC market? A more narrow G5 would look mighty nice sitting horizontally on my audio rack.

Just thinking out loud.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering why optical over coax, though honestly just being sarcastic because even optical is a huge leap forward here along with all of the other listed features. It was pretty much a shock, people were not expecting anything even close to this aside from the processor speeds perhaps. This new case sounds very interesting. My guess is a design matching the X-Serve.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
From the rumors, think ALUMINUM. :)

I guess we'll be able to talk about reality tomorrow at this time. As someone in the market to add a few Xserves, I'm eagerly awaiting these new machines!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
So, what time does this all go down tomorrow?
The Quicktime from Apple's site is going to be posted after the keynote, not live -right? Are there live webcasts anywhere?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Showtime is 10:00 am PDT or 12 noon CDT. You can watch it live if you have access to the satellite feed. If not, you'll have to find a place (most likely an Apple Store) that's carrying it. Myself and a few co-workers will be sneaking out of the office to head out to the Schaumburg Apple Store.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Nothing over at time.ca, ;) but here's another rumor from some german site:

the translator,MacCaine) is a fake, definitely.
The Machines are not shaped as seen on the picture, no grill-style air-intakes. But small holes on the top and bottom, rounded out on the front. Similar to the ones from the eMacs.
The Machines are rounded out to top-front side and to the front.
All have got Superdrives.
The sides are covered with Alu, the right cover can be opened to access the inside.
On top and bottom, the machine has got 2 polished steelparts.
The Slots for the drives are in a "box that can be pulled out!!!!!!" On this box is the Apple Logo and "Powermacintosh 970" It can be rotated 90 degr. If rotated you can use the machine as desktop or as tower. There is space for 5 drives - optical or HD.
on the frontside there are 1 FW 800 Port, Headphones, Mic, bluetooth logo, three apple typical buttons, and chromed speaker.
on the back are 1 FW 800, 1 FW 800, 2x USB, 1 USB 2.0, ethernet, ADC, DVI and four diagonal PCI Slots!!!!!, speaker connector, mic.
Size of hull.: 15cm x 65cm x 40cm

There is a new alu/white keyboard, optical 2 button mouse without cord, srollwheel made of alu, bluetooth.

The machine did't start from a OsX 10.2.6 HD
I'll probably catch the Keynote after my review finishes at 4CST. My plan is to watch it before reading all the spoilers. It starts AFTER the live keynote.

Link to Keynote 1

Link to Keynote 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks