What's new

Official iPad Event *LIVE* Discussion Thread 10/16/14 (CONFIRMED) (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
McPaul said:
retina iMac very pricey
It may cost a bit more than a regular 27" iMac, but for $500, you get a Retina Display, an upgraded GPU, and an upgrade to a Fusion Drive. Meanwhile, a Dell monitor with the same resolution as the $2499 Retina iMac goes for, you guessed it, $2499 … for just the monitor.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Sam Posten said:
$700 more
$700 more than the 3.2 GHz model. But looking at the 'off-the-shelf' 27-inch iMacs, the 3.4 GHz quad-core Core i5 model has a somewhat closer CPU/GPU specification match to the Retina iMac. That model is $1999, hence $500 difference.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I am comparing standard models.
$1799 non-Retina 27-inch iMac - 3.2 GHz Core i5, 1 GB VRAM
$1999 non-Retina 27-inch iMac - 3.4 GHz Core i5, 2 GB VRAM
$2499 Retina 27-inch iMac - 3.5 GHz Core i5, 2 GB VRAM
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac
All have quad-core CPUs, 8 GB of RAM, and 1 TB of storage. The stock Retina iMac has a Fusion Drive. None of the three stock models has exactly the same GPU as any of the others.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
McPaul said:
Did they drop the price of the regular 27" iMac? it seems to be the same price to me...
I believe that the specifications and pricing for all of the non-Retina iMacs stayed the same. The addition of a Retina iMac was the change.

With the Mac Minis, there were price cuts and specification changes, though some of those changes (no more user-upgradable RAM, no more quad-core CPUs on higher-end models) were not for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks