What's new

Apple iPad Event October 22, 2013: Official LIVE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Nice to see the Mac Pro start at $3K. It will be interesting to see performance numbers on those machines once they get in peoples hands.

The iPad lineup is a mess IMHO. Of course Apple ain't no dummies. :) I am sure they have their reasons and they will make a ton of money off the line up. Personally, without the fingerprint sensor I wouldn't consider them but I don't think the majority of the market would have that opinion.

Laptop changes look nice as well.

-Keith

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Very impressed with today's announcements except for the fact they are keeping the iPad 2 around. That makes no sense to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
By chance I'm home and checked Apple's site for the news. Wow! Did not expect a Retina Mini with A7! Looking forward to seeing one. This might be my one device to rule them all (or at least cut out a Kindle Paperwhite from the mix).

And Mavericks for free!?!? Wow. I'd heard that speculated but pleased to see it. Now to find out if breaks our software and maybe upgrade next week.

Disappointed the new iPad doesn't have the fingerprint reader.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Confused by the free iWork and iLife apps. We've not been able to get them for our 5s's. (It was offered during phone set up at AT&T and we hit the 'later' button -- because we're not going to download 500 MB of apps in the middle of buying the phone -- and we've not been able to download them for free since. It might be because we own them via HomeSharing (my wife and I), and that's confusing the system.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mine is fine too. My Mom will love it for the next 3 years. Simple CODB for me to get the new one each year (I skipped the Lightning spec bump)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I got Mavericks and have been using it for the past couple of days with no problems. It took a couple of hours altogether to download and install on my end.

As much as I love Apple products I just can't justify the prices Apple charges for their tablets.

I would love to have all the feature set of the Mac Pro built into an iMac that had upgradable modules. I am spoiled with my iMac having everything in one place.

matt:

You need to write a review on the Mac Pro when you start using it at work.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Did I fall asleep and skip a year? (Thread title has 2014) :)

My two Macs at home are both still on Snow Leopard, so I'm looking forward to finding time to do some backups and install Mavericks soon.

Re: iPads, I'm a little disappointed they still have such low amounts of storage. Minimum should have bumped up to 32 GB by now. Also would have liked to see some kind of innovative new keyboard cover apparatus.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glenn,

My only fear for you would be how much RAM you have on those Macs.

On the one hand, a new OS would use more resources.

On the other hand, Mavericks is supposed to deal with memory very well.

I guess if you take the Sam Posten advice and back everything up then you
can experiment.

...and by the way, I fixed the title. Thanks. Never even realized the year
was wrong. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Parker Clack said:
I got Mavericks and have been using it for the past couple of days with no problems. It took a couple of hours altogether
to download and install on my end.

As much as I love Apple products I just can't justify the prices Apple charges for their tablets.

I would love to have all the feature set of the Mac Pro built into an iMac that had upgradable modules. I am spoiled
with my iMac having everything in one place.

matt:

You need to write a review on the Mac Pro when you start using it at work.
Once we get it in I'll let you know. It will be a graphics design department, so I don't get over there a lot.. but I'll have to post it up when we do get it. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Call me irresponsible or stupid. I've collected each iteration of iPads but I did skip iPad 4 in favor of iPad Air. So that will be a nice upgrade and with 128gb of memory. The iPad mini with retina will be fun to get too. I use the old mini at work and leave the big ones at home. The new one I'll have to think if I get it or not.I plan to also get the new Mac Pro as my desktop is dead. I'll be doing a mixture of CAD work via bootcamp to run SolidWorks and photorealistic rendering work on both the bootcamp and Mac side. Of course I'll be using the Adobe CS6 suite, not the cloud version. And I'll be running a Wacom Cintiq off it as well. So this will be my full on design tool, from sketching and painting, to photoshop and illustrator to full on CAD. This should take the load off the MacBook Pro. I'll be very poor. I have to figure out how many cores I can get by with. Would love 12, but 6 might be okay.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Insanely jealous Nelson, that sounds awesome. Split the difference and go with 8 and a badass graphics card =) For solidworks I would think you want heavy GPU and the CPU can be lesser...

I too skipped the 4th gen so this will be a nice bump. For a day or so I thought about skipping the air to focus on PS4 and Xbox but I use mine so much I think I am gonna do it day 1....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting at least 2 years Sam for this release of the Mac Pro! Like Carlo in the other thread, as the reality of the new Mac is setting in, the cost looks like it will be serious. So I'll be reviewing the options. The 8 core is definitely an option. I need to do more reading, but I thought the video cards are not upgradable.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Late to this thread.I'm a little soured on Apple right now as I'm still waiting on the 64GB Gold iPhone 5s I ordered the Sunday afternoon of "Launch Weekend"!It finally shipped to the AT&T store I ordered it from last Friday ... Only to be returned when the postal carrier couldn't decipher the shipping address on the package!!! AT&T is telling me now that it could be another 2-3 weeks if I really want to hold out for a 64GB Gold ...So, getting back to this thread: I own the iPad 3, and like you guys, I’m both dissapointed and shocked that the new iPads don't include "Touch ID". I envision this feature as eventually being extended to credit card transactions once the APIs are opened up to third party developers. Not having "Touch ID" in the iPad lineup until October 2014 is going to hold back some of that anticipated development since "universal" apps would not be able to utilize the feature. I can only assume at this point that Apple may not wait a full year before releasing new iPads with Touch ID, so I guess I'm sticking with my iPad 3 for just a little longer. Perhaps by the time Apple ships iPads with Touch ID I'll finally own my Gold iPhone 5s!!!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm happy with my iPad 3, but I know that the CPU is starting to show it's age with the resolution. I'll be upgrading to an Air 32 or 64GB shortly after they go on sale :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks