What's new

Apple Rumors - WWDC Thread - Panther/G5 (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Can anyone post the contents of the keynote? I'm unable to attend a live streaming, and I'm unfamiliar with where the heck you guys find all of these sneak previews.

I'd sure appreciate it (hint hint Apple otaku's - Michael, David, Patrick, Joseph, Camp...;) ).

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Most Mac sites are getting SLAMMED right now. I'm having luck on Spymac.com's chat feature.

File Vault does sound cool. The new Quicktime codec sounds nice too...hopefully a challenge to Microsoft's high-def WMV.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Jobs confirms web site sneak preview!!!!!!

Go to store.apple.com and keep reloading if you actually want one!! Eventually you can order.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like he may have burned off some steam over the weekend after the firing. A lot of sarcastic and comedic items in the texts.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I am updating the above BIG SPOILER post with notes as they happen-- so it should continue to be a source as news develops. Just keep clicking reload to get the newest version- I'm updating every 2-3 minutes.

lol: Dual processors are offered, with up to 8GB of memory (yes, you read that correctly). Jobs says you could transfer the entire content of a DVD in a second off RAM.

Prices: $1999 $2399 $2999

1.6GHz, 80GB HD, 256GB RAM, $1999
1.8GHZ, 160GB HD, 512GB RAM, $2399
dual 2GHz, 160GB HD, 512MB RAM, $2999

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Should be about $50,000 to get 8GB RAM from the Apple Store. The prices for the towers seem more than reasonable, though the delay in shipping has me thinking a second rev may be too long a wait. (Put that credit card away!!)

The case seems much smaller, maybe a companion FW storage case is coming or the XStation.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Just got back from the satellite downlink.

The G5 is amazing. They did independet benchmarking and found that the G5 is the fastest PC available on the planet. They did many head to head faceoffs between a dual 2 GHz G5 and a dual 3.06GHz Xeon. The G5 absolutely smoked the Xeon box with little difficulty. On single processor challenge, the G5 crushes the P4 in floating point operation and is about even in integer based computing.

The G5 has NINE fans but is quieter than the previous G4.

The G5 has a 1 GHz frontside bus, fastest in the world.

The G5 uses 400MHz DDR RAM.

Along with the processor, Apple seemed to go for the gusto for the entire package.

did anyone see Expose? Wow. That is worth the Panther upgrade alone.

Bring back the Snail commercial!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Lots of neat things in there. I dug out a Sun branded firewire camera that I've had for awhile, but never used (it was included with my Sun workstation, but the software sucked). I was surprised to see that the new iChat beta recognized it right away. Now I just need to find someone else to talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks