What's new

Apple Maps: Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
If it were only the dual sided nature of the cable and the ability to charge things with higher loads alone it would be enough to merit the switch to lightning, but it's even more than that. You can find hints to those reasons by the leaks from WWDC but there is much more to come from this connector, we are only at stage 1 of a cable that Apple has engineered to last the next ten years.
This post sums up the proper response:
Don't worry - even though the only benefits of Apple's Lightning connector over Micro USB are being able to insert it upside down and a hardware-enforced requirement to pay Apple a cut on any Lightning cables, there were plenty of fanbois in the media ready to portray it as some super-futureproof, all digital miracle. (In fact it's shown exactly the same futureproof, all-digital ability to support new interfaces without hardware changes as bog standard USB. Even the Lightning video out is a hack that compresses the video to the point it could be send over USB, and in fact probably is.)
Figuring out the correct orientation for a USB cable is a two second effort, so even the dual sidedness is hardly some digital miracle.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As someone who has had to deal with multiple family members damaging USB ports on devices I disagree. Ymmv.I personally hate plugging my nexus and kinfpdle devices in, the micro USB is a PITA to me personally. Again, YMMv but I personally value the improvement. If you don't there are cheap alternatives.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hanson said:
Sam, Apple is holding those who simply want to charge their phones hostage with this overpriced accessory. .
Pricing is a different issue over usefulness or necessity. It is no secret Apple charges a premium for accessories and always will. I agree that it sucks and that I would like to see Belkin and other reputable vendors be able to sell these cables for less. I took issue with the 'no technical reason', not the value proposition.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
As someone who has had to deal with multiple family members damaging USB ports on devices I disagree. Ymmv.I personally hate plugging my nexus and kinfpdle devices in, the micro USB is a PITA to me personally. Again, YMMv but I personally value the improvement. If you don't there are cheap alternatives.

Psst.. there is a solution for that. It's called wireless charging. Samsung and Nokia both have options for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If a manufacturer builds a charger that connects ground to a hot signal, energizing the external antenna of the iPhone 4S, Apple can't help you. You should blame the criminally negligent accessory maker.

Sam Posten said:
I personally hate plugging my nexus and kinfpdle devices in, the micro USB is a PITA to me personally. Again, YMMv but I personally value the improvement. If you don't there are cheap alternatives.
This
mattCR said:
Psst.. there is a solution for that. It's called wireless charging. Samsung and Nokia both have options for it.
I want to live in the future. Pity WebOS died; this had a chance at traction three years ago.

RobertR said:
Figuring out the correct orientation for a USB cable is a two second effort, so even the dual sidedness is hardly some digital miracle.
Not this. Robert elegantly captures the essence of those who care about the nuances of usability in their gadgets and those who don't.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
EU wants all companies, ahem Apple, to use standard chargerhttp://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604904-37/eu-wants-all-companies-ahem-apple-to-use-standard-charger/

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It would be nice for consumers to have this standardized, but failing that, it definitely sucks that Apple not only charges a substantial premium on such, but also changes the connector every couple years so you can't reuse old accessories for new iOS devices (at least not w/ full functionality). I actually went ahead and bought their pricey docking stand for the iPad3 (mainly for my wife) when the iPad3 came out, but it won't work w/ anything newer than that now. Meanwhile, it's annoying to have to remember which cable has full functionality w/ the iPad3 -- I have a spare from a previous device. And they do this regularly. Just glad I didn't sink much more into accessories like many others. And I'll believe that future-proof malarky when I see full compatibility for that next 10 years, thank you very much. _Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
So if Android manufacturers were to tell the EU to fuck off and shove their "environment" up their asses it would be a "tsk tsk, shame shame" situation, but when Apple does it elicits smileys and a "stick it to the man" attitude?

Whenever people claim not to be fanboys, stuff like that does not bolster their case.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Apple's argument on their cable is pretty stupid, frankly. Their phone device is not using a memory target that even tests their standard and so the benefits of saying "it's future ready" are ridiculous. And while they contend that having it able to plug in either way is good, the cable is so flimsy consumers break them easily:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4929986?start=0&tstart=0

I do love the reviews on Apple's site: http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable
This is the second charger I've bought in three months and it's already broken. I didnt abuse it, it just broke. It's way to fragile on the inside and too expensive. What a rip off apple
The Lightning connectors are far too flimsy. I've had three of them fail now, and they are too short. Particularly at the outrageous price Apple wants for them. How about making a 6' cable for 1/3 the price of the short one you sell now?
This cable is the worst thing that has ever been made by Apple!The cables become worthless in Months. I have had 4 of them and all of them have gone bad. They start out by being finicky and then slowly downgrade until they just don’t work at all. I have to admit that first one I treated the same way as my older 30 pin cables (which were nearly indestructible) pulling it out by the wire or just not being careful. But the remaining 3 cables I have treaded extremely gently and still no luck. I have no idea why Apple can’t come out with a decent cable for their own devices. Everyone that asks about by Apple device I tell them everything was fine until Lightning came out and it’s time for them to look at Non-Apple devices.
And so on.

I've had this experience as well, I'm working on my second cable on my iPadHD. Snapped one off on a card charger which forced me to get tweezers to pull the damn thing out a few months ago.

Apple's "tough we like it this way" is preventing them from admitting they were just wrong.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
When you can't even get the legion of fanboys to admit it's wrong, how do you expect the company to do so?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Barf! iPhone, iPad owners complain of motion sickness due to iOS 7http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604741-37/iphone-ipad-owners-complain-of-motion-sickness-due-to-ios-7/

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, don't know about others, but I'm finding iOS7 stalls a bit and/or behaves a bit jenky from time to time on my iPad3 even though I already turned off or toned down some of the new UI/OS touches and features. So much for being more refined and responsive than Android now... unless perhaps you're running the very latest hardware... _Man_

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
iOS will need at least four updates to be workable. It"s a total anti user disaster (like, when I'm listening to music, on the way to pick up my daughter at school, and I check the phone for what time it is -- wait -- now the time does not appear when I click on the home button (it's there, but tiny in the top bar thus impossible to read), however, if I up the volume, or down, there it appears, or, I get to click twice on the home button. Wow, Ives is the best.

As for the charger degrading, it's clear Apple is now THE cash cow, and damn the users. They will do this until all Steve's work is burn out, and then migrate to other companies to destroy.

As you probably have noticed, it's impossible to go back to iOS6 now, Apple servers won't validate your phone. I took my app off the App Store, I don't think it's worth it anymore, and I lost too much money on it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
After demoing ios7, I jokingly told my wife that it was going to give me vertigo, the sense of falling into folders was so strong. So I'm not terribly shocked that some are having motion sickness from the new graphics.Apple seems to have put of effort into accessibility features, so hopefully they'll offer some changes to those that are made physically ill by such graphical motions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for that. I wanted a 4" and 6' cable, so I bought from Monoprice. The Apple brand cable is now my travel cable, per the insight that monoprice is more prone to bending failure. If need another 3' cable, I'll buy Apple for the better quality and nearly the same price. But the 6' are very expensive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not sure I buy these conclusions, consider it a data point, not crowing:http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/apple-maps-google-iphone-usersIf it's true tho it reiterates to me that tech heads and early adopters opinions aren't as influential as we believe them to be.
im still befuddled by Maps. The map is fine for navigating, turn by turn. But Apples traffic is in the suburbs worthless. Google knows about and displays traffic congestion in real time at my local intersection. Apple knows nothing about it. I'm also uncertain if Apple incorporates traffic into estimated travel time. I find I need to check both apps before leaving in potential busy traffic. But I need to play with google maps more, since Apple Maps is currently untrustworthy on traffic.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
REALLY technical deep dive on why you don't want to buy a counterfeit charger. It's not worth losing your life over.
http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html
Creepage and clearance
The UL regulations[14] require safe separation between the high voltage and the low voltage. This is measured by creepage - the distance between them along the circuit board, and clearance - the distance between them through air. The regulations are complex, but in general there should be at least 4mm between high-voltage circuitry and low-voltage circuitry.
iPad

The iPad charger provides safe creepage and clearance distances between the primary high-voltage side (bottom) and secondary low-voltage side (top).
The image above shows how the genuine iPad charger's circuit board separates the high voltage (bottom) from the low voltage (top). The happy face on the right marks an empty region that provides a safety gap between the primary and secondary. (This is a contrast with the rest of the circuit board, which is crammed full of components.) This gap of 5.6mm provides a comfortable safety margin. The happy face on the left marks a slot in the board that separates the low voltage and high voltage. The photo below shows how an insulating fin is built into the case and through this slot to protect the USB connector. Additional reddish-brown insulating tape goes through this slot, and the whole high-voltage section is wrapped in yellow insulating tape. The result is multiple layers of protection.
iPad

The iPad charger case has a plastic fin that slides around the USB port to provide extra insulation.
The creepage distance on the counterfeit charger board below is scary - only 0.6 mm separation between low and high voltage. The sad face on the right shows where a low-voltage trace is nearly touching the high-voltage trace below. (The ruler on the right indicates millimeters.) The board isn't as bad as it could be: the happy face on the left marks a slot cut in the circuit board under the transformer to increase the creepage distance. But overall, this board is unsafe. If you use the charger in a humid bathroom and a drop of water condenses across the 0.6 mm gap, then zap!
Counterfeit

Dangerous creepage in a counterfeit iPad charger.
Safety in the transformer
For safety, the high-voltage and low-voltage sides of the charger must be electrically isolated.[15] But obviously the electrical power needs to get through somehow. The flyback transformer accomplishes this task by using magnetic fields to transfer the power without a dangerous direct connection. Because the transformer is a large and relatively expensive component, it is tempting to take safety and quality short cuts here. The genuine transformer (left) is considerably larger than the counterfeit (right), which is a hint of better quality and more power capacity. Disassembling the transformers shows that this is the case.
iPad
Counterfeit

The flyback transformers from an iPad charger (left) and a counterfeit charger (right). Dime and banana are for scale.
The key safety requirement of the transformer is to separate the high-voltage windings from the low-voltage secondary winding, and the counterfeit charger fails here. The pictures below show the transformers after removing primary windings and insulating tape, revealing the secondary winding. The wires look similar at first glance, but the the genuine charger (left) has triple-insulated wire while the counterfeit (right) is uninsulated except for a thin varnish. The triple-insulated wire is an important safety feature that keeps the high voltage out even if there is a flaw in the insulating tape and in the wire's insulation. Also note the additional black and white insulation on the wires where they leave the transformer. In the counterfeit charger, the only thing separating the secondary winding from high voltage is the insulating tape. If there is a flaw in the tape or the wires shift too far, then zap!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks