1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Maps: Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Hanson, Sep 28, 2012.

1. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

This post sums up the proper response:
    Figuring out the correct orientation for a USB cable is a two second effort, so even the dual sidedness is hardly some digital miracle.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    As someone who has had to deal with multiple family members damaging USB ports on devices I disagree. Ymmv.I personally hate plugging my nexus and kinfpdle devices in, the micro USB is a PITA to me personally. Again, YMMv but I personally value the improvement. If you don't there are cheap alternatives.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Pricing is a different issue over usefulness or necessity. It is no secret Apple charges a premium for accessories and always will. I agree that it sucks and that I would like to see Belkin and other reputable vendors be able to sell these cables for less. I took issue with the 'no technical reason', not the value proposition.

4. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Psst.. there is a solution for that. It's called wireless charging. Samsung and Nokia both have options for it.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    If a manufacturer builds a charger that connects ground to a hot signal, energizing the external antenna of the iPhone 4S, Apple can't help you. You should blame the criminally negligent accessory maker.

This
    I want to live in the future. Pity WebOS died; this had a chance at traction three years ago.

Not this. Robert elegantly captures the essence of those who care about the nuances of usability in their gadgets and those who don't.

6. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    EU wants all companies, ahem Apple, to use standard chargerhttp://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604904-37/eu-wants-all-companies-ahem-apple-to-use-standard-charger/

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    People in hell want ice water. Both are unlikely to get their wishes fulfilled.

=p

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    It would be nice for consumers to have this standardized, but failing that, it definitely sucks that Apple not only charges a substantial premium on such, but also changes the connector every couple years so you can't reuse old accessories for new iOS devices (at least not w/ full functionality). I actually went ahead and bought their pricey docking stand for the iPad3 (mainly for my wife) when the iPad3 came out, but it won't work w/ anything newer than that now. Meanwhile, it's annoying to have to remember which cable has full functionality w/ the iPad3 -- I have a spare from a previous device. And they do this regularly. Just glad I didn't sink much more into accessories like many others. And I'll believe that future-proof malarky when I see full compatibility for that next 10 years, thank you very much. _Man_

9. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    So if Android manufacturers were to tell the EU to fuck off and shove their "environment" up their asses it would be a "tsk tsk, shame shame" situation, but when Apple does it elicits smileys and a "stick it to the man" attitude?

Whenever people claim not to be fanboys, stuff like that does not bolster their case.

10. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Apple's argument on their cable is pretty stupid, frankly. Their phone device is not using a memory target that even tests their standard and so the benefits of saying "it's future ready" are ridiculous. And while they contend that having it able to plug in either way is good, the cable is so flimsy consumers break them easily:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4929986?start=0&tstart=0

I do love the reviews on Apple's site: http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MD818ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable
    And so on.

I've had this experience as well, I'm working on my second cable on my iPadHD. Snapped one off on a card charger which forced me to get tweezers to pull the damn thing out a few months ago.

Apple's "tough we like it this way" is preventing them from admitting they were just wrong.

11. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    When you can't even get the legion of fanboys to admit it's wrong, how do you expect the company to do so?

12. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    Barf! iPhone, iPad owners complain of motion sickness due to iOS 7http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57604741-37/iphone-ipad-owners-complain-of-motion-sickness-due-to-ios-7/

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    Well, don't know about others, but I'm finding iOS7 stalls a bit and/or behaves a bit jenky from time to time on my iPad3 even though I already turned off or toned down some of the new UI/OS touches and features. So much for being more refined and responsive than Android now... unless perhaps you're running the very latest hardware... _Man_

14. HDvision

HDvision Well-Known Member

David
    iOS will need at least four updates to be workable. It"s a total anti user disaster (like, when I'm listening to music, on the way to pick up my daughter at school, and I check the phone for what time it is -- wait -- now the time does not appear when I click on the home button (it's there, but tiny in the top bar thus impossible to read), however, if I up the volume, or down, there it appears, or, I get to click twice on the home button. Wow, Ives is the best.

As for the charger degrading, it's clear Apple is now THE cash cow, and damn the users. They will do this until all Steve's work is burn out, and then migrate to other companies to destroy.

As you probably have noticed, it's impossible to go back to iOS6 now, Apple servers won't validate your phone. I took my app off the App Store, I don't think it's worth it anymore, and I lost too much money on it.

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    After demoing ios7, I jokingly told my wife that it was going to give me vertigo, the sense of falling into folders was so strong. So I'm not terribly shocked that some are having motion sickness from the new graphics.Apple seems to have put of effort into accessibility features, so hopefully they'll offer some changes to those that are made physically ill by such graphical motions.

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks for that. I wanted a 4" and 6' cable, so I bought from Monoprice. The Apple brand cable is now my travel cable, per the insight that monoprice is more prone to bending failure. If need another 3' cable, I'll buy Apple for the better quality and nearly the same price. But the 6' are very expensive.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    im still befuddled by Maps. The map is fine for navigating, turn by turn. But Apples traffic is in the suburbs worthless. Google knows about and displays traffic congestion in real time at my local intersection. Apple knows nothing about it. I'm also uncertain if Apple incorporates traffic into estimated travel time. I find I need to check both apps before leaving in potential busy traffic. But I need to play with google maps more, since Apple Maps is currently untrustworthy on traffic.

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    REALLY technical deep dive on why you don't want to buy a counterfeit charger. It's not worth losing your life over.
    http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html