What's new

Time to try Apple Maps for Navigation? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I recently ran into an issue with Google Maps via Android Auto. While navigating to a destination, the route was no longer being shown on the map with a blue line -- only the text window with the "next turn" info was present, and the voice commands were still active. I discovered there is a bug with the latest version of Google Maps that is causing this. I had to clear the cache and data for the GM and AA apps on my phone, and then everything worked as normal.

I am not sure if this bug extends to iPhones and CarPlay.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have not tried Google's Waze, no comment there. I have extensively used both Apple and Google Maps and have a strong preference for Apple Maps.

Apple Maps IMO has a better UI. I simply find Apple Maps easier to read. Also Apple Maps alerts you earlier when you need to make an exit or a turn, making it a smoother, more relaxed experience than having to take last minute action on a crowded multilane road.
Lastly in *my* experience, and I strongly acknowledge it depends on where you are, Apple Maps is more accurate, makes easier to find your destination, is less likely to lead you astray. This is chiefly based on a month of driving in Sardinia, Italy and a bunch of weekend or day trips up to various spots in the Catskills from NYC.

All that said I am mostly using Google Maps, because it is the (not named) source of Tesla's maps. They have said they are working on replacing Google Maps with their own data, but it certainly hasn't happened yet. And, they don't now (and I doubt they will in the future) allow you to use Apple's CarPlay.
If people unfamiliar with Tesla are wondering why not use your iPad or iPhone instead, Teslas have a 15" touchscreen making maps more visible and safely usable. Also, you can use Tesla's Navigation with FSD, meaning the car itself with take the correct exit or make the required turn without you having to worry about it at all, thus lessening my complaint about Google's last moment alert to exits.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
And, they don't now (and I doubt they will in the future) allow you to use Apple's CarPlay.

Not to derail the thread but this is yet another reason I would never own a Tesla. I test drove one before buying my last vehicle and they have a lot going for them but heavy incentive-based pricing along with overall fit & finish killed the deal for me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I use the basic Map in Google no fancy overlays. It seems to be an issue with the GH app connecting into the Google map App.

I haven’t found a setting in the Waze app for those little balloons that appear.
Here is an example

Not sure what you mean by this. What does Google Home have to do with Google Maps in this situation? I may be missing something.

You're right about Waze. I still have it on my iPhone but haven't used it for years. Just checked and things do appear to have changed. There used to be options for limiting those annoying icons. Maybe the feature is still available on Android devices.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn’t say Google Home. GH (GrubHub)
When one gets a delivery offer on GrubHub (GH) you need a map to get to the customer.
In GH settings you change it to a choice of three maps.
Apple
Google or
Waze.
If I choose Google Map it never properly opens the app when I tap go to address in the GH app.
If I change it to Waze it works everytime.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn’t say Google Home. GH (GrubHub)
When one gets a delivery offer on GrubHub (GH) you need a map to get to the customer.
In GH settings you change it to a choice of three maps.
Apple
Google or
Waze.
If I choose Google Map it never properly opens the app when I tap go to address in the GH app.
If I change it to Waze it works everytime.
That’s not normal behavior for google maps. As a rule, it’s fast and loads as you’d expect. It sounds like there’s some problem with the grub hub app.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I mostly use Apple Maps and have for several years. These days via Carplay in our Honda CR-V.

Annoyingly, it used to give ETA estimates that were a little conservative so I knew I would make it there at that time at the latest. Now it seems like they underestimate, and it always takes longer.

But it works pretty well. I've noticed more Waze-like features like speed checkpoint alerts & such lately.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve been using Apple Maps exclusively for several years now. In fact, I used it today for work while driving from Arkansas to Mississippi and back. The drive time estimates were spot on.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I, too, love the improvements made to Apple Maps and use it always. However, I can’t believe there’s no “avoid/limit left turns” option. Living in Chicago it’s a necessity. At a controlled intersection it’s fine but far too often it takes me to an intersection where I’m expected to cross two/four lanes of heavy traffic going in both directions.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I, too, love the improvements made to Apple Maps and use it always. However, I can’t believe there’s no “avoid/limit left turns” option. Living in Chicago it’s a necessity. At a controlled intersection it’s fine but far too often it takes me to an intersection where I’m expected to cross two/four lanes of heavy traffic going in both directions.
That used to be one of my biggest complaints about Waze. I don’t know if they ever corrected that. I don’t think it’s ever happened to me with Apple Maps.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I really like Apple Maps, but:

It is still missing saving data for off line use: every time we visit our friends in the Catskills we drive for long periods of time with no reception (either T-Mobile or AT&T) and any hike or just a dogwalk near their house - zero reception.

It would make a HUGE difference if I could pre load all NY State mapping data before we leave home for our trip. I don’t know why but I had some memory of saving Apple Maps data being mentioned at the 2022 WWDC, but apparently not?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks