What's new

Aperture (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ted Todorov said:
I ended up with Aperture because I desperately needed to merge three different iPhoto libraries. I don't have much of a problem with its feature set, and PhotoStream integration is huge, but I haven't tried Lightroom so I don't know what I am missing. I do have do a HUGE complaint: performance (on my 2009 MacPro with 8GB memory), working in JPEG, is just awful. Beachball city. I do have a very large library, but still. Also, no easy (or indeed one which I have gotten to work) way to watermark photos. If a hugely improved Aperture X doesn't appear by the end of the year, I am jumping to Lightroom. In the meantime I am going to stick a fast SSD in the MacPro figuring it the single most effective way to up performance.
how big is your library?Did the preview generation setting help?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Reynolds said:
Ted, in Aperture's preferences, ask it to generate previews when quitting. It'll take longer to quit but should gain you a lot of performance while editing.
Aperture preview preference.png

This is the correct one, right?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
how big is your library?Did the preview generation setting help?
36,525 photos, no RAW, all JPEG.

WIll report on the setting change.

I ordered a SSD from OWC to use as a boot/Aperture drive, and intend to do a clean Mountain Lion Install on it, and load apps one by one, as needed -- trying to clean out 4.5 years worth of cruft (more, really since the Mac was originally setup via Firewire from an older Mac.)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So after installing the PCIe SSD, and moving the photo library on it, Aperture might as well be a completely different program. It flies, as does everything else. Can't tell if the preference change made a difference as it and the new drive happened at the same time.

If you have a Mac running slow, stick a good SSD in it, it's like having a new machine. No wonder the new Mac Pro will be SSD only.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well that's just cheating :)The SSD for us has to wait for the next Mac upgrade (from current iMac).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was wondering where this thread had gone off to :)Not long ago, I was wondering if I should buy aperture or Lightroom. Glad I procrastinated on buying aperture. Still haven't gotten Lightroom yet, though. I'm impatient to get the new version app, Photos.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
At least they promised to make it Yosemite compatible. I am not into photography like I use to be so hopefully the Photos app will be adequate. For those hoping for an Aperture update, that has to smart a bit.

-Keith

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely not happy. I guess I'll have to start moving towards Lightroom (which I have, as part of the Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom rental package) and I haven't invested the Tim in seriously learning to use it. With Aperture a I hit the ground running, for whatever reason I didn't find Lightroom anywhere near as intuitive

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks