What's new

New Oscars inclusivity initiative; ten Best Picture nominees again (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
From Deadline, emphasis mine:

After a series of meetings, and approval Thursday by the board of governors, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the next phase of its ongoing efforts toward equity and inclusion, Academy Aperture 2025. This comes after a previous initiative largely aimed at making membership regarding women and people of color more representative, a goal that was set for this year which AMPAS says has been surpassed.

A new phase has begun, and in terms of the Oscar race itself includes going back to a set number of 10 Best Picture nominees, replacing the current eligibility rule that allows for five up to 10 nominees. This does not apply to the upcoming 93rd Academy Awards (2020 release year), but will take effect for the 94th Oscars (2021) and into the future. The Academy will also create a quarterly viewing process through their streaming site starting also with the 94th Oscars that is designed to “level the playing field” and make all films easier to see year round rather than in the usual crunch of “awards season.”

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure how the number of nominees makes much of a difference. They still have to get members to vote for films.

And if they're really interested in considering nominees over the full year, rather than having "the usual crunch of 'awards season'," perhaps they should consider quarterly nominations. Have four 3-month nomination windows throughout the year, with two nominees from each window, then the final two nominees can be any films released any time during the entire eligibility year. This would prevent studios from flooding the market with their prestige films from October to December.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When the Academy gets more slots, historically, they fill them with more art fare that has little interest or relevance to the larger public. When they do nominate a more popular film in an extra slot, they more often than not deny the film a Best Director nomination, thus taking away its chance of winning for all intents and purposes. Since a BD nom is the best indication of whether a BP nom has a chance, until the number of BD slots is equal to the number of BP slots, it’s a meaningless change.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
All of that is true. But when ten films were listed, they still got the distinction.

In my personal opinion, Up was the best picture of 2009 and Toy Story 3 was the best picture of 2010. Fortunately, they were recognized as being in that group. They didn't have a chance in hell of winning, as we know. But they were still there.

I'd rather have great films included than not included.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm guessing that's why they said it will start in 2022 (for the 2021 release year.) :laugh:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think if the Oscars were handed out tomorrow, Onward would be a serious contender for Best Picture, and I would be absolutely delighted because I believe it is sensational. I have no doubt that even in a normal year, I would consider it to be one of the best pictures of the year.

That being said, if animation is ever going to break its glass ceiling, it would be nicer if it wasn't by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks