What's new

Press Release UPDATED 10/3: WHV Press Release: Barbie (2023) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why?

one or more song.
Per Academy rules, no film can submit more than two songs. Some choose only to submit one in order to prevent a scenario in which they take votes from each other and let something else win. This rule was enacted sometime after the 2008 ceremony, when Enchanted had three nominations but "Falling Slowly" from Once won.

So the question for Barbie will be which song or two songs will be chosen for submission. I think "I'm Just Ken" is the best one and the one that is the most integrated into the plot, so I would go with that one personally.

Isn't Oct. 3 the release date?
It was rumored to be, but WB never officially confirmed that. I think they're holding off in light of its success.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Maybe the "3 young children in tow" was a substantial factor in knocking it down from say a 5/10 all the way down to 0/10, heh... :lol:

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yep! And that's probably how long I'll wait to see it.

Mark

Based on what @Tino just admitted in another thread, he didn't actually wait that long... ;):lol:

It'll probably land on (HBO) Max before I cancel, but probably before I'm ready to buy it at whatever discounted price, especially since I'd probably see it again on Max...

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
^Maybe the "3 young children in tow" was a substantial factor in knocking it down from say a 5/10 all the way down to 0/10, heh... :lol:

_Man_

I suspect that person decided it was a 0 of 10 before he saw it, but if that person has objective reasons he thought it was basically the worst movie ever made, I'd be interested to hear it.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So the question for Barbie will be which song or two songs will be chosen for submission. I think "I'm Just Ken" is the best one and the one that is the most integrated into the plot, so I would go with that one personally.
I agree that "I'm Just Ken" is the best song in the movie, of the other songs, my not-out-on-a-limb prediction would the unspectacular Billie Eilish track that plays over the end credits.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It would be if I'd made the predictions a year ago :thumbs-up-smiley:.
Even then, it was known to be the new film by Greta Gerwig. Both of her previous directorial efforts were nominated for Best Picture. She clearly has the Academy's respect and attention.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Even then, it was known to be the new film by Greta Gerwig. Both of her previous directorial efforts were nominated for Best Picture. She clearly has the Academy's respect and attention.

Yeah, but even those of us optimistic "Barbie" would be good didn't think it would do what it did - both critically and commercially.

I felt 100% sure it wouldn't be the product placement POS so many believed, but I didn't think it would be Oscar-contending!

Or such a huge hit. Honestly not sure what I thought it'd do commercially - I guess I figured it'd do fine, but I didn't expect the cultural phenomenon it is.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I pre-ordered the French Steelbook 4k UHD, and if relevent to discussion, I believe they are stating it should be released (or perhaps arriving?):

Vendredi, décembre 1 -
Mercredi, décembre 6

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, but even those of us optimistic "Barbie" would be good didn't think it would do what it did - both critically and commercially.

I felt 100% sure it wouldn't be the product placement POS so many believed, but I didn't think it would be Oscar-contending!

Or such a huge hit. Honestly not sure what I thought it'd do commercially - I guess I figured it'd do fine, but I didn't expect the cultural phenomenon it is.
I posted this question in the box office thread.

I was wondering if Barbie would have been as successful with an unknown actress playing Barbie.

I personally think Margot Robbie was miscast and not very good in the title role. Imo it was a generic performance. I can’t imagine her being Oscar nominated for this role.

Thoughts?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Updated with official Warner Bros. press release for 4k and Blu-ray Disc

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Pretty odd they just suddenly drop the release date w/ such very short notice like that (for such a huge hit film), LOL!

Wonder what actually happened... not that I'm complaining or anything... though certainly hope it doesn't become some kinda new trend... :P

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I posted this question in the box office thread.

I was wondering if Barbie would have been as successful with an unknown actress playing Barbie.

I personally think Margot Robbie was miscast and not very good in the title role. Imo it was a generic performance. I can’t imagine her being Oscar nominated for this role.

Thoughts?

I think the movie's star power in general helped "Barbie".

With an unknown, it'd have been easier to pooh-pooh the flick.

The accumulation of respected actors gave it more credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks