What's new

Any Chance of "Eddie Murphy: Delirious"? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Ron,

With all due respect, I think that today's gay community is a lot less sensitive than the 1983(?) gay community. I mean, South Park is still on the air and they make fun of everyone, including the gay community!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well, in all fairness, as stated above, 'Raw' contained a great deal of content geared towards homosexuals as well, so with all due respect, I consider that a moot point. Neither act was less crude than the other as far as his material was concerned, although 'Delirious' was MUCH funnier. If, in fact he did get extreme flack for his gay remarks in 'Delirious', it would've only made sense for him to steer clear from that subject in 'Raw' if only to avoid further controversy....but he didn't.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gents,

If memory serves me correctly DELERIOUS and RAW
were released in a fairly short timeframe of each
other.

It wasn't until the '90s that Murphy reflected on
the controversy surrounding Delerious and
apologised.

As to why RAW is being released I cannot fathom
other than to speculate that title never came
under fire quite like DELERIOUS did.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Ron,

When I watched Delirious the other night, the copyright at the end said something like "Copyright 1983 Eddie Murphy Productions" (or something close to that). Whereas, Raw is a Paramount film. I didn't see a Paramount credit anywhere in Delirious except on the actual packaging. I'm not sure when it went out of print, but it was last re-promoted by Paramount on 7-8-91. Might have been a 10 year license or something, but that's just a guess on my part.

Jeff

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

The reason for that is because 'Raw' was a theatrical release back in 1987, much like Martin Lawrence's 'RunTelDat'.

'Delirious' on the other hand was simply a 1983 HBO special. I remember I used to see the commercials promoting 'Raw' when I was 10 years old, and at the time I couldn't quite understand why my mother wouldn't let me see it. lol.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll gladly buy RAW, and hope like everyone else that Delirious isn't far behind.

It's been a long time since I've seen either of these, but I do remember alot of stink in the press about RAW. I don't remember any complaint about Delirious, but then I was maybe 10 years old when it came out on video. Was it even a theatrical release?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

No, just an HBO Special. It even says "Home Box Office Presents" in the opening credits.

Raw at one time was the highest grossing standup comedy film ever (theatircal release). It's probably been surpassed since then, but it was highly successful at the time.

Jeff

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that the "Gay Community" (whatever that is anyway) would be offended today by Delirious getting a low-key DVD release. Heaven knows there are more offensive stand-up performances available on DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Neither do I but that's not the point of what
I have been trying to say here and I think there
are many that may have misunderstood me.

It is my understanding that after all the
controversy surrounding Delerious,
Murphy reconciled the situation by vowing
to keep the HBO special off the market. I
think it has more to do with Murphy's inner
feelings than anyone else's.

Look, I'm just reporting what I have heard
over the years about this release. Can I say
this is absolute fact? No, but apparently
despite all our tugging at Paramount's shirt
the title is still not out on DVD.

Why Raw is being released is beyond
me, but I certainly am thankful.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I have to agree Ron. Although this isn't quite what I was hoping for, it's better than nothing. Although 'Raw' pales in comparison to 'Delirious', it still ranks as one of my favourite stand-up performances to date, so yes, I am thankful that it will be released. As for 'Delirious', sure we could debate tooth and nail, forever wondering why it isn't out, but whatever the reason is, it's obviously out of our hands. I'll take what I can get, and if 'Raw' is it, then who am I to complain. I still have the VHS version of 'Delirious' to fall back on, although that tape has to be wearing mighty thin by now. lol

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Cool. I am glad the RAW is coming to DVD but I also hope that Delirious comes to DVD. Eddie Murphy is one of my favorite comedians. Eddie Murphy was much better in the old days. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of his newer movies such as Dr. Dolitte 2,Shrek, Vampire In Brooklyn & Nutty Professor but the best comedy of Eddie Murphy is from his old days. Movies/tv shows/specials such as Saturday Night Live, Eddie Murphy: Raw, Eddie Murphy: Delirious, Beverly Hills Cop 1-3, 48 Hrs. & Another 48 Hrs., Trading Places, Coming To America, et al.

I really wish the Eddie Murphy: Delirious would come to DVD. Yeag, I read in this thread that it was pulled by Eddie Murphy because of the gay jokes which I can't understand. I mean, there are comedians doing gay jokes nowadays but you don't see gay people trying to ban it. Some gay people are hypocrites, they attack Eddie Murphy for Delirious but there are comedians doing gay jokes nowadays but these comedians aren't being attacked for their gay jokes.

I just hope that Eddie Murphy has a change of heart & releases Delirious on DVD.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Perhaps Delirious will get released on DVD sometime in the future, but feature an apology from Eddie Murphy for some of the content, much like Kevin Smith tries to apologize for his harsh view of DVD's on the Chasing Amy Criterion DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was able to obtain definitive information
on why Paramount has not released Delirious...

It is no longer their title. The rights have
been reverted.

There is also some other very sad news I learned
today regarding a change at Paramount that I will
be at liberty to discuss with you at the end of the
month. Please no speculations. Stay tuned!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Now you know that's not possible, Ron! However, I will wisely keep my speculations to myself. ;)

Can I at least ask if you will be creating a new thread to discuss the topic once you are at liberty to do so, or will you be adding to an existing one? (Just wondering where I should be looking for this new info.)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Ron

I believe you are talking about Mel Karmazin's quitting of Viacom. It is also said that Summer Redstone is to step down in the next three years.

for more info www.mediaguardian.co.uk and requires free registration

Cheers

Oscar

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ron

I was going to post more yet you replied sooner than I thought.

I will PM you before doing more speculation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys, no speculation. You won't guess it.

What's going on at Paramount involves something
more of a personal nature to HTF veterans.

Let's leave it alone and get back to discussion
about DELIRIOUS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks