What's new

Any Chance of "Eddie Murphy: Delirious"? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
In Delirious, Murphy was discussing the AIDS virus, saying that your wife kisses her gay friend "...and then your wife comes home with the AIDS on her lips."

That extended bit - about homosexuals spreading AIDS through casual contact - isn't Eddie Murphy's finest hour. Especially since it was aired in what - 1983? 1984? - a time of great ignorance and paranoia about the AIDS virus. I think homosexual groups have a right to be angry with Murphy over the Delirious concert, and I think Murhpy has a right to feel embarassed by it today. Fear of AIDS led inexorably to hatred of gay people, which led inexorably to violence against gay people. There was a famous incident in the early-to-mid 80's (in Florida, I believe) when a family was fire-bombed out of their suburban house when it was learned that one of them was HIV positive. The reason Ryan White was such an important figure in the HIV struggle was because a child had become infected through a transfusion, and he humanized the disease beyond "gay people". Eddie Murhpy's wildly popular Delirious concert fed into the misinformation and fear over AIDS, but more importantly, he blamed gay people for spreading the disease.

If Murphy doesn't want the film seen, I think he's got a valid reason.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Good point about the AIDS material. However, all of the AIDS material from "Delirious" is included on the CD, which has never been pulled. I understand that Murphy doesn't have control over the CD release, but if it's already out there in one form, I can't see any point in holding back the DVD. Plus, I'd say most people who would purchase it have already seen it before and already know what it contains.

Jeff

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Most people would know what it contained, but as Murphy is now established as a 'family entertainer' there could be the chance that some of his newer fans may not be aware that he was once a 'raw motherf***er'.

They don't wanna hear filth florin' filth, florin' filth!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Ron, are you at liberty to let us know what is going on yet? We're pretty much at the end of the month.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
The thing I can think of (sorry to speculate...but it IS the end of the month) is Martin Blythe is leaving. :frowning: :thumbsdown:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps, but that seems a bit easy to speculate and Ron said it would not be something easilly guessed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I am sorry.

I had forgotten about this thread and my promise.

I have been informed that Martin Blythe is leaving
Paramount at the end of the year.

It's a great loss to all of us here at Home Theater
Forum as Martin has been a huge supporter of what
we do here.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Wow that is sad indeed.

Will he still be involved with dvds in any capacity ? or is that too soon too tell ?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I'm not sure how much more you can elaborate, but is Martin's pending departure voluntary or might it have anything to do with Viacom's apparent dissatisfaction with Paramount's DVD dept.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

Maybe the internet community drove him insane with our bitching and moaning!! :D :D

Seriously though, Mr. Blythe will be missed.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
That's a real shame. From what I can tell Martin has done a top-notch job at Paramount and he has been a great ally to us HTFers (even when we "bitch and moan"). I wish him well, but it's definitely sad to see him go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks