What's new

AMC to remake The Prisoner for TV (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey guys...do us a favor...play nice here.

Let's discuss this show without any personal
attacks, accusations or sarcasm. I am getting
complaints about the dialogue in this thread.

So from hereonin let's keep the conversation civil.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by RichM

I found the sound quality pretty poor so I am sure I missed a ton of dialogue, maybe I will have to re-watch with subtitles on.
The sound quality was poor here, too. I had to crank up the volume louder-than-normal, and I still had to go to the subtitles for a lot of things (like everything 93 said). My V audio was messed up too, this week

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I love the original and agree that this "remake" wasn't a "remake" at all. I agree they could have called it anything else and it probably would have played better. It was all over the place without really allowing you to make sense of why they are jumping you all over the place. It was like watching them build 6 different puzzles at the same time and none of them fit together to make a completed one. You were just left with 6 incomplete puzzles with pieces missing from each box. There were more questions left over than answers provided.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Robert A. Willis Jr.

Good program. Not necessarily close to the to the original, but what is now a days.
The Battlestar re-imaging was leaps and bounds ahead of the original, in my opinion :)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by Parker Clack

I love the original and agree that this "remake" wasn't a "remake" at all. I agree they could have called it anything else and it probably would have played better. It was all over the place without really allowing you to make sense of why they are jumping you all over the place. It was like watching them build 6 different puzzles at the same time and none of them fit together to make a completed one. You were just left with 6 incomplete puzzles with pieces missing from each box. There were more questions left over than answers provided.
How about renaming it Eternal Confusion in the Spotless Mind ?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

The Battlestat re-imaging was leaps and bounds ahead of the original, in my opinion :)
The what?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Quote:
The Battlestar re-imaging was leaps and bounds ahead of the original, in my opinion :)

And it worked because most of the core concepts of the original were retained in the re-imagining. The destruction of the Colonies, the rag tag fugitive fleet, the Cylons, the basic design of the Galactica herself, the occasional use of the original series Cylons, etc. What the series added was the sense of threat and dread of the survival of humanity in the face of a superior foe, something I never got from the original.

This "Prisoner" remake seemed to be satisfied with using a known title, some terminology, the main characters being called #2 and #6, the existence of "The Village", and tossing everything else out. I'm glad that IFC showed the original during the run-up to the AMC series so I could make a comparison based on viewing and not memory.

The original "Prisoner" is an enduring product of its time with a significant pop culture legacy (e.g. The SImpsons). The remake will be forgotten.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Before we get too far into talking about other shows, Like Battlestar don't forget some of us are still not finished the series so no spoilers please.

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
The trouble with making a new version of something like The Prisoner, is that the original was such a unique combination of elements that the new version cannot help but be like New Coke.

But I'll give this new version a go. Mckellan and Caviziel are good actors, its not like they cast Keanu Reeves as No. 6!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The problem with so many of these remakes and "reimaginings" is that they simply use the original title as a brand name that is slapped on to a generic product that bears little resemblance to the source material.

The obvious exception is Battlestar. It gives nothing away to say that the modern show is a terrific and mature adaptation of the original source material, and goes to places that the original show wouldn't have dared or couldn't have dreamed of. Every ounce of the original's juvenile storylines are gone.

The Prisoner is one of those properties that was so good originally that it should never have been considered for a remake, like Planet of the Apes. (Oh, and, for cryin' out loud, someone stop Tom Cruise and John Travolta before they do Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!)

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think quality of an original should bar a remake. If they are going to remake it, so be it, just make an enjoyable film in the process!

And McKellan a "non actor"? How is somebody a non-actor? You turn up, say the lines, you're an actor, whether you're Humphrey Bogart or Tor Johnson. Sigh...

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
Having seen an episode, I don't this this new show is too bad. Kinda pointless (not a term I throw around regarding remakes) but hardly worth pointless and rude vitroil its been getting from some commentators. Not like doesn't have to equate with hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks