What's new

Amazing Race Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
So far, there hasn't been any rivalries between teams in this race, which is one of the things that I enjoy seeing.

I am pulling for the hippies and the nerds, although I just don't see the nerds making it to the finals. And it seems like the hippies are the only team that have been able to keep up with the frat boys.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
My wife and I commented that we too like the hippies, but the are just way too too. Neither of us would want to spend too much time with htem; they would get annoying quickly.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Not a good stretch for the all-female teams... Last night was the third straight elimination of the all-female teams, right?

There goes the frat boys obsession! Now if the frat boys could be next.... :)

Jay

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It looks like this race has become a lopsided one, where the hippies and frat boys have finished in the top 2 in every leg so far.

The other teams will pretty much be racing for #3 spot.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I don't know...

I've been with this show from Day 1, yet I didn't f eel much like watching Race 8, and I havn't seen one episode of Race 9.... Has anyone else felt this way latley?

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Anyone have a Tivo problem this week? In my local guide, it showed that it was to be played at 7pm and 10pm. Of course, my Tivo was set for "new episodes only" and only picked up the 7pm time slot which ended up being local programming. So we missed out on the real 10pm time slot and missed the episode.

Anything good or interesting happen other than the elimination of the boob-sie twins? I'll probably check out the AR website this weekend for clips and summary.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I gather there was a listing screw-up in the SF area. Biggest event other than elimination was seeing Lori freak out because the final roadblock was assembling a statue that unbeknownst to the racers had two extra pieces. It threw everyone, but Dave & Lori seemed to be the most worn out.

Also, Phil's elimination of the Dans was kind of weird; they were talking about being friends and he asked about them hooking up with Eric & Jeremy, which (at least from the editing) seemed to be a much bigger deal to the guys than the girls (and it also wasn't clear what definition of "hook up" Phil was using).

Also, Lake has done 4 roadblocks and Michelle has done zero. Even though it hasn't been mentioned, I believe the six-apiece rule is back in effect, which means that team is setting itself up to get pretty thoroughly hosed in later, more physical, challenges.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The ratings are falling in the U.S., but in Canada they are in third behind the American Idol shows.

Brent

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Lake&Michelle used their Yield on Danielle&Dani, and it actually worked, helping to knock them out. That might be a first.

Lake&Michelle were also first (in the episode) to try and book tickets via the internet, but couldn't read the site in German. BJ&Tyler came right behind them, switched to English, got the tickets, and were first all the way through. There were some interesting airport shenanigans, if you're into that sort of thing.

L&M dropped all the way to last before recovering. Ray did really well on the Roadblock, head-to-head with Dani. Fran&Barry walked by another clue box again, but only lost five minutes. The episode went like this.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can see the frat boys using their Yield on Lake & Michelle, as payback for them using a Yield on the Pink girls. ;)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
This sucks! The nerds got eliminated! And I honestly thought this would be a non-elimination leg, based on the trend of the past 2 races.

I was rooting for 3 teams, and now only left with one, which are the hippies, although I don't like them as much as the other 2 teams that I pulled for.

Once again, the same 2 teams finish #1 and #2, by huge margins. And surprisily, there has been very little bunching up this season.

I wonder how the ratings are in its new time slot. I just get a sense that people aren't into this much as much as past seasons.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The no-bunching has helped them to keep their leads. And with all legs being elimination so far, they might be doing this to shake out the weaker teams first. Then they can bunch more to vary the order for the rest of the race. Or at least we can hope.

I'll miss Dave&Lori's "nerd theme music".

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Personally, I don't really like the bunch ups.

If the intention is to "even everyone out" so each leg is more of an individual leg that isn't impacted by what you did on the previous leg, then they may as well do away with letting people leave for each leg according to their placement in the previous leg. Know what I mean?

Either change it to a race where each leg everyone starts out equal and leaves at the same time (and the last one in is eliminated). Or allow how you did in a previous leg to impact how you do in the next leg (like what they have been doing).

Occasional bunch-ups are expected, but I don't like the idea that there should be an effort to have more bunch-ups, or a bunch-up every leg. Because, again, what would be the point of having teams start each leg in the order they finished the last one if you just expect that everyone is going to get evened out at a bunch-up anyway?

I like the nerds and was sad to see them go. The hippies are great, though.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Some of the bunch-ups are for logistical purposes, I'm sure. The production crew needs to move from place to place ahead of the racers, and it won't due to have them getting more and more seperated, where you need to leave people behind to run things for the slackers while the rest of the crew moves forward.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Without some bunch ups, I think you'd end up with boat racing.

One team would get far enough ahead early that it would be almost impossible for them to be caught, and then you've just got several episodes to drag out the inevitable.

I don't mind the bunch ups at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks