What's new

All-Male or All-Female movies? (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
How about "My Dinner With Andre"? There is a waiter and a bartender, but I can't remember if you see any females around. Probably do.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Plenty of women in Patton. Remember the address he gives to the women's club in England? The nurse in the slapping scene? And the Russian women at the post-war party?

Marianne

Supporting Actor
"Flight of the Phoenix" (1965) all-male. The remake in 2004 had a "token" female (Miranda Otto).

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Sleuth, with Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier, has no on-screen female roles.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Then why is Eve Channing listed as playing Marguerite Wyke? :) And why does one of the IMDB reviews single out her performance for particular mention? :D

(I haven't seen the film in years and I would have sworn there were no women in it either. The memory does play tricks.)

Regards,

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen Gus Van Sant's Gerry but everything I've read indicates that it's strictly Affleck and Damon walking around in the desert for 90 minutes. A possible candidate...

--
H

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Several war movies have been mentioned--there are a number with all male casts, especially WWII.

The Women, already noted is the only all female movie that comes immediatly to my mind.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

There were a number of war films (westerns, too) that came to mind immediately, but in almost every case I remembered a flashback, or a pre-deployment scene early in the film or an encounter with WACs, WAVEs, school marms, saloon girls or native women somewhere along that line, however brief, that eliminated them.

Even a quintessentially guy film like The Dirty Dozen has a German officer's girlfriend, and a couple of hookers.

I don't think strictly all male casts are very common in mainstream dramatic films and all female casts are probably even rarer. (Even women's prison pictures or films set in convents - the most all female enviroments you can get - invariably have a couple of sadistic male guards or a warden on screen in the one case and a priext or bishop in the other.)

Regards,

Joe

MikeGale

Agent
Two Robert Aldrich movies come to mind: "Attack!" and "Emperor of the North" -- no women in sight.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
In Shawshank there is brief love scene with his wife (and her lover) at the beginning.

--
H

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Actually there are a total of four women credited in Shawshank including Andy's wife, a couple of grocery store customers and a bank teller. :)

Regards,

Joe

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i didnt think it was THAT strict. i remember both of those women (seen the movie enough) but i didnt know they were considered cast members for the purpose of this thread, since it wasnt specified.

oh who am i kidding, the only movie i'll be able to think of was disqualified, i'm just bitter.

CJ

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij

Christ, I'm worse than you. I've seen the movie for, like, twenty times and I didn't even thinking about it a bit when I started the thread.

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij

That's the genre I'm looking at initially...TORA! TORA! TORA!, Midway, or even Longest Days. But I'm not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks