What's new

Women Talking (2022)

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Title: Women Talking

Tagline: Do nothing. Stay and fight. Leave.

Genre: Drama

Director: Sarah Polley

Cast: Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Judith Ivey, Sheila McCarthy, Michelle McLeod, Kate Hallett, Liv McNeil, August Winter, Ben Whishaw, Frances McDormand, Kira Guloien, Shayla Brown, Emily Mitchell, Eli Ham, Lochlan Ray Miller, Vivien Endicott Douglas, Nathaniel McParland, Marcus Craig, Will Bowes, Emily Drake, Caroline Gillis, Shannon Widdis

Release: 2022-12-23

Runtime: 104

Plot: A group of women in an isolated religious colony struggle to reconcile their faith with a series of sexual assaults committed by the colony's men.

Surprised there is no thread for this Best Picture nominee!
My take:

WOMEN TALKING (2022)
Sarah Polley's disappointing adaptation of Miriam Toews' novel (they co-wrote the screenplay) is loosely based on an incident in a South American Mennonite colony where a series of violent sexual attacks on its women splintered the sect. WOMEN TALKING's exact location is never revealed. They are all English speaking, but the settings are in keeping with the public's understanding of the Amish and Mennonites - few modern conveniences, spare living quarters, isolation.

The main setting is a barn where the leading female voices have gathered to choose a course of action in response to the brutality they have encounted at the hands of their men: Stay and make peace. Leave. Or, Stay and fight. Claire Foy's Salome and Jessie Buckley's Mariche are the pair most agitating towards action. Judith Ivey's Agata and Sheila McCarthy's Greta are the more measured, older women. Rooney Mara's Ona is most optimistic, hoping for a better life somehow. The one male at the gathering is Ben Whishaw's August who is not only sympathetic to the women's plight, but, more urgently, literate. He takes the minutes of the meeting. The women have been forbidden to learn to read or write.

As an acting ensemble, they are peerless. Each giving their character a sense of individual being, so as not to just be part of a “group”. Frances McDormand has a small supporting role, and is one of the movie's Producers. Luc Montpellier's muted Cinematography is in keeping with the drab living conditions. Hildur Guðnadóttir plaintive score matches the mood.

For all the fine acting and technical skill, Polley and Toews' screenplay lacks drive. By it's very structure, it was always going to be verbose, but, the screenplay keeps the details so vague that it drains the movie of any real drama. The term “Mennonites” is never mentioned, neither is the place (and the time is only mentioned in passing). It becomes more of a vague parable about the treatment of women in general than these specific women. While this was all certainly intentional, by eliminating the context of the true story it becomes almost a Twilight Zone-ish situation, taking place in neverland, veering more into polemic territory rather than taut dramatization. The themes and subtext are there, but, it never matches up with what is actually happening on screen.

WOMEN TALKING works best when it focuses on the acting and the individual characters. At times it feels almost like a Salem Witch Trials situation - only in reverse; From the “Witches” perspective. Unfortunately, Polley is never able to give the screenplay any real resonance of its own. The events are horrific, the women honorable - but there isn't a sense of momentum or a genuine discovery on the part of the characters. It's all very strained and pre-ordained despite the performances.

Attachments

• Womentalking1.jpg
    Womentalking1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Saw this last night.

I thought it was quite well done. Strong script, with some directorial flushes that prevents it from being too static or stage-y (flashbacks, cuts to daily life, etc.). Doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Acting is fantastic all around. Characters are alternately furious, soothing, optimistic, frightened, and more. I liked that triple Oscar winner McDormand (also a producer) essentially takes a step back and lets the other women shine.

As a film with abuse as a central theme, I found this more compelling than Tar, as its runtime feels right rather than over-stretched.

Yes, it’s talky, but I found it compelling.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Polley is a revolutionary filmmaker and one of the best directors on the planet; subtle but brilliant.

She grew up in the biz, and like the masterful Sofia Coppola, absorbed everything, including what NOT to do.

I wish she'd make more movies, but she's a painstaking master of her craft, and her kids are of course a - THE - huge priority for her.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Is this one of those movies like 'Snakes on a Plane' where the title describes what the movie is about exactly?
The title's actually a bit deceptive, but...

TRIGGER WARNING:

There IS some talking - by women! - in the movie.

:eek:

The good news is that it's actually an action flick, and coincidentally, a sequel to both Snakes on a Plane AND 12 Angry Men.

See, the dudebros are just trying to kill the snakes, but the women keep telling them they're doing it wrong, and that's why they're so angry this time. :)

Srsly.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
I realized I hadn't weighed in more specifically with my reaction to the movie, so here goes.

Easily the best of the 10 pics nominated for the BPO, WT is a masterpiece. (Its not winning the Oscar is very much in keeping with the Academy getting it right about 5% of the time at best.)

The movie is among the most disturbing I've ever seen, and the story so horrendous that I wondered if Polley was fictionalizing the horror to some extent.

Rather incredibly however, she actually downplays it in favor of focusing on the search for a solution to the terrible quandary the women are faced with.

The script is so good that had it been produced as a play, it would easily have won the Pulitzer, and swept the New York awards if presented on Broadway.

Back to the film, horrible as its subject matter is, it's absolutely stunning in every way imaginable, from art direction to scoring to lensing, and frequently hauntingly beautiful.

Riveting and magnificent, Polley has created yet another brilliant work of art head and shoulders above what any but a handful of other directors are producing.

On a scale of 1 to 10, an easy 10, and a film no one who appreciates good cinema should miss.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
(Its not winning the Oscar is very much in keeping with the Academy getting it right about 5% of the time at best.)
According to who? You? C’mon dude. You know they get it right 95% of the time. And that’s a fact. ;)

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Great movie. This, storytelling, fascinates me. I'm wondering if they could have done more. Like showing the men, showing the sense of dread, making the ending more exhilarating by showing the men shocked. All fascinating stuff to think about how to tell a story.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks