What's new

Advice on wiring for dance/exercise room speakers -- potential future use as home theater (1 Viewer)

debdance2

Auditioning
Real Name
Debbie
[ATTACHMENT=257]Dance Room.pdf (4k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]
I have a room in my basement that I am about to finish as a dance/exercise room, but most men look at that room and immediately think "HOME THEATER!!!". There are no windows, it is about 14'6" X 14' plus a bump out of 5'7" X 7' and 9' ceiling (see attached file). I want to wire it for sound to mostly play music from iPods and also to play exercise videos (think yoga classes, Insanity, P90X, my teen daughter watching a video of a cheer she needs to learn). I want the sound to be decent. I am not an audiofile but I understand teens want to hear the music loud, and I want to set it up so that, when I put my house on the market years from now a home theater enthusiast will be satisfied it is pre-wired for a good home theater.
I've gotten different advice from guys at Best Buy, Listen Up, and independent contractors who set up AV in custom homes, but the threads I've read here sound like many of you have some very good knowledge.
First I need to make sure the wiring is set up right before the put up the drywall:
1. Where to put the speakers? I've heard in-wall, in-ceiling. I don't want to take up floor space but I really don't mind having speakers hung from the outside of the wall if that sounds better. This is dance/exercise, so though I want it to look nice it doesn't have to blend in like normal living space. Keep in mind, the "front" of the room (the wall facing the doors) will have a large mirror, 6' in height starting 6" from the ground (so the top of the mirror is 6'6" from the floor), and covering the entire length of that almost 14' wall. The TV screen will be right above the mirror in the middle of the front wall, nothing too big for now (32"?). Whoever buys the house, if they want to change the room to home theater they would probably remove the mirror and need to patch up that drywall anyway, so they could always extend some of the wiring to make it lower. The flooring will be a hard surface, probably laminate. The receiver will be in that back corner of the bump out, in a "mini-bump-out" built into the wall.
-Front right & left: From the reading I've done on this website, I'm thinking the front two speakers should be wired to the front wall, just above the mirror, but how far from the edges of the wall?
-Center: I'm thinking I will not use one for my purposes of dance/exercise, but I should put the wire for a center channel somewhere close to the TV screen. I think setting my receiver on stereo mode will be fine to hear the vocals for my purposes.
-Rear:in-ceiling? in-wall? on the wall? I don't have a mirror to contend with on the back wall (just heads & bodies), so what height? Distance from the edge?
-Should I wire it for 7.1 or is 5.1 ok? If 7.1, where do those two extra speakers go?
-Sub-woofer: where? I would prefer to not have it anywhere we could run into it while using almost every inch of the floor for dance (think leap sequences from corner to corner). The AV guys who came by said I could put it in the back corner of the bump out, right next to the receiver, and still get the base sound and vibration throughout the room... do you all agree? Or should I really take some of my floor space and put it in the right front corner or that corner between the main room and the bump out?

debdance2

Auditioning
Real Name
Debbie
2. Is 16 gauge speaker wire appropriate?
3. I have these old speakers that I think were very good in their day. I was thinking of using them to start off, or maybe keep using them? My main question about them is: they were originally purchased as rear wall speakers but I want to use them as front wall speakers, is there a fundamental difference in the front and rear speakers or can they be inter-changed? I know a sub-woofer is fundamentally different. Maybe for a true audiofile there will be slight variations in the speakers to accomodate the different types of sounds heard in the rear vs. the front, but to mainly play music and exercise videos I'm wondering if the speakers I have can be used for front: Difinitive, model: BP-X.
BTW, THANK YOU in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks