What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey all:
Does anyone know if there is another Love Hina series after the Christmas movie?
John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
JohnAD:

There's the 25th episode (not sure if Bandai included that in vol. 6) before the Christmas special, and then there's the Spring Special and then the 3 episodes OVA which ends the series all together.

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
There is the Spring Special and the 3 episode OVA Love Hina Again. THe spring special is aweful in its animation and the story is so so. The OVA has different animation, it looks more manga like...the story is again ok, but better than the spring special.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
They should (hopefully) be here tomorrow from DDD :D
I am looking forward to watching them during Turkey weekend ;)
Love Hina has me hooked right now... I gotta pick up that Christmas disc + disc 02 sometime next month :)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Kong, Steve:

Thanks for the info. The 25th episode is on the Christmas Special disk. It's kind of sad that they didn't do much more, since the series ended only about halfway through the manga.

John.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Well, my favorite Japanese band at the moment is Do As Infinity. They've done a couple of songs for anime. Their song 'Tooku made' was the ending song for Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.
John:
I loved that ending song. I think I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks for the rec...
Rob:
Ayumi Hamasaki is definitely a must, plus the OST's for Escaflowne, Gundam Wing (I have a special place in my heart for Two-Mix :D), and Gasaraki...along with those you've already mentioned.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Joe:
No problem. I'm a little behind in collecting their CDs - the singles are ~13.50 at the Uwajimaya, and a little more if I order them from CD Japan. On the plus side, they usually keep a pretty good selection in stock.
Rob:
One more suggestion. I picked up the soundtrack to Sol Bianca: The Legacy a while back, since I really like the opening and closing songs. If you can find it, I would recommend it.
John.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Cool thread(s)...
Been looking for some good info on the various anime market out there. ;)
Just wish Tokyopop would hurry up and release Initial D :angry:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
So, you guys gonna plop down the $60 for the .hack//SIGN limited edition? I am still contemplating. I liked the first 2 episodes (the only ones I have seen)... but $60 for the box, disc 1, and plush toy :eek: :eek:
I don't really have time to watch the rest of the series right now with all the new anime coming out of Japan... So for those who have seen the series, how does the quality carry on through the rest of the series? Good ending (I heard you had to play the PS2 games to tie all the loose ends :rolleyes:)?
On the fansub side of things... Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex just keeps getting better and better, I just can't recommend it enough! There has YET to be a bad episode (1-4 have been released thus far, 2 more next month). Oh, and this is one soundtrack that I will happily plop down the cash for, Yoko Kanno's score is FANTASTIC :D

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I watched the film MEMORIES last night. WOW! I was blown away by the storytelling and the sheer artistry of the film. Does anyone know if this film has been licensed for the States? If not, then WHY? It's one of my favorite Anime films now.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Todd:
Anime on DVD (www.animeondvd.com) has a review of it. Basically, it's another Macek English-only anime. The review says that it's supposed to be pretty good, though.
Brian:
I've never heard of that movie. Is it new or old?
John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Brian:
Memories like Macross: Do You Remember Love is all tied in license hell. So, to see it is like nil. You can always buy the R2 Memories because it has English subs on them. However, it is a R2, so you'll need a multi-region player.
JohnAD:
Memories is a 3 separate mini movies in one big movie (kinda like Robot Carnival) created by Katsuhiro Otomo. The three stories are "Magnetic Rose," "Stink Bomb," and "Cannon Fodder". Most American fans don't like the 3rd one because it is a bit weird for some people who don't understand the significance behind the story, but that's to be expected coming from a western culture. "Magnetic Rose" is a sci-fi drama about some scientists who discover a ship/station that used to be a home of this one time famous female opera singer. "Stink Bomb" is a comedy drama about a guy who becomes a deadly, smelly poison to humankind. One sniff and you die. Pretty hilarious. "Cannon Fodder" is a silent (as in "no dialogue") drama story of a boy who tries his hand at becoming the cannon loader like his father before him to prove his worthiness in face of adversity. Very old idealistic Japanese way of thinking.
And speaking of DOA (Do As Infinity), I'm also behind in collecting their stuff. You do know that DOA used to write music for Hamasaki Ayumi before she started doing her own music herself (using her alias CREA for music credit). :) Just FYI. :)
Rob Lutter:
I may be picking up the limited edition of .hack//SIGN. It's an interesting anime concept that's along the vein of Everquest. So if you like Everquest, then you'll like hack//SIGN". It may not be for everyone's cup of tea, but it does have a story. I'll have to check it out more to know for sure.
I do agree with Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. Great intro...along the veins of a Russian version of the Rahxephon intro (also produced by Yoko Kanno and sung by Maaya Sakamoto). The R2 comes out in December! YAY! It's better than the movie, IMHO.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
AnimeonDVD.com has a new update to the .hack//SIGN Limited Edition: http://www.animeondvd.com/specials/hack/index.htm
Exclusive to the limited edition release, in addition to the previously mentioned items such as the Grunty plushie, there will be a .hack//INFECTION PS2 Video Game Demo Disc, an exclusive .hack//SIGN postcard set, an exclusive .hack//SIGN sticker as well as an exclusive .hack//SIGN T-shirt. With all that, there's probably barely any room for the DVD itself in that box!
NICE BOX! Less is more :emoji_thumbsup:
I will probably pick this one up and dump the PS2 game on eBAY (as I have no PS2).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Memories like Macross: Do You Remember Love is all tied in license hell.
Actually, Memories in in no such license hell. It's just that no one wants to pony up the cash it costs because of percieved limited appeal. DYRL has a long term lease to Best Video, and I don't think anyone has even managed to find out who owns the US right to buy them from them

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Kong:
Thanks for the info. No, I wasn't aware of that about Do As Infinity. Another reason to like them :).
John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am so sad right now...
I just got His and Her Circumstances (AKA: Kare Kano) Volume 2 in the mail and it exhibits A LOT of EDGE ENHANCEMENT. We are talking Episode I-like levels of EE on this disc. It is a shame because I thought Volume 1's transfer was almost perfect (for GAINAX). :frowning:
Hopefully it will be corrected in Volume 3.
EDIT:
Here is an example
Closeup
Another example
Closeup
(you may have to paste the URL for it to work)
Don't let this stop you from getting the disc though, it is truely a wonderful series :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks