What's new

Acoustic Research Component cables? (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Lee,

No need to apologize. I realize some of us have a life outside of this forum...

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
i highly recommend canare v3-5cfb component video cable. that's what bettercables.com uses. have not seen one negative review on it yet.

happy listening/watching

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Jefferey, BetterCables is no longer using Canare coax. I suspect it's one of the silver-coated offerings from CoastCom or Belden.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
This is a great cable thread going here.
I learned a few things no doubt.
I wanted to let everyone know Rhino currently has some of their cables on sale.
While looking to upgrade my cables (namely component cables) this is the first place I turned & hit what I think is a jackpot of info. :)
I'm currently using the basic AR cable connecting my prog-scan Malata dvd player to my Mits HD display.
Seems like a fair quality cable for the money.
However I just upgraded to a Denon 5803 (I'll have some thoughts on this receiver later posted in the hardware section) & need to make a couple of 7-8ft runs.
DVD player will still go straight to the Mits, Denon will video switch for the rest of my needs.
Anyway I checked out all the cable vendors I knew of & pretty much all the sites listed in this thread.
Bettercable Silver Serpents sure look sweet, but the price is out of my budget at the moment.
Honestly I was looking for a great cable bargain.
I think I found the bargain I was looking for at Rhino.
$60 for a 3 meter Belden 1694a cable with Canare connector.
They also have a package deal combining a 1 meter digital coax with a 2 or 3 meter component cable which I also took advantage of. :D
I order these yesterday (Sunday) & got an e-mail stating they will ship Tuesday.
Cool!
Thanks everyone for the info here in this thread.
Todd

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I have changed all my cables to AR Pro Series over the last year. I have great buying experiences with bothwww.accessories4less.com, which is an AR authorized dealer with great prices and great customer service, and ABT Electronics which will price match authorized dealers and also has free shipping. The only reason I go back and forth between the two retailers is availability of merchandise.
I am a big fan of the AR Pro Series, they are solidly constructed and are a big step up from original manufacturers' cables.
Ralph

Jared W V

Auditioning
Great thread; learnt plenty! Any opinions as to which Toslink cable is better: AR Master or Bettercables? Both about the same? I'm looking for a value toslink cable for around $100. Also, I guess the Bettercables S-Video cable is the best value in it's price range?
Thanks
Jared ;)

James St

Supporting Actor
I was planning on buying Rhinocables since they were on sale. It looks like they dropped their prices even more. They have also added Tech-Flex to all 2-4 meter cables. Anybody have any idea what Tech-Flex is?

MarkHendrickson

Auditioning
James St, I believe that Tech-Flex is the poly mesh tubing that some use in making cables. I've used it extensively in building my own cables and a few for friends.

I've heard various claims regarding the benifits of the mesh but we like it purely for the aesthetics.

PatrickLG

Agent
Hi

TechFlex, is nothing more than a cable bundling solution used in studio equipment racks.

The intention was to be able to bundle cabling securely,

and cut open easily to replace a damaged/defective cable

in a crisis situation.

They are now used as cosmetic covering.

PLG

James St

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, guys. Does anyone know how long these prices will last for Rhinocables?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I think its their new permanant pricing so it should remain in effect until the price of the materials (cable etc.) goes up significantly.

Tech-flex is mostly used as a bundling/cosmetic material for cable management. Its a lot lighter therefore less strain on your components than using a factory bundled cable such as the Canare V5-cfb.

Michael X

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I was going to start my own new thread, but I'll post here first and see what happens.

I'm currently debating on new A/V cable to connect my DVD player to my pro-logic receiver, and I'm still wondering what will work the best for a cheap price.

I was just going to go with RCA (Thompson) 3ft "digital" cables which were at Target for $11.99, but then I noticed Sears and even Target are now carrying the Acoustic Research basic cables...6ft for $18.99. The big factor isn't really price so far, but the construction. I noticed the RCA brand (and other "digital" ones) use complete coaxial construction throughout, while the AR uses the twisted pair kind for the audio part of the cables. RCAs are just "oxygen free copper, double shielded" while the AR touts " 75 ohm signal integrity and Teflon shielding".

I tried some of the links in this thread and noticed Accessories4less has the AR Pro cable in the 3ft length I'm looking for, about $20.

Is the coax construction better for overall video/sound quality, or the AR with its 75 ohm video and twisted pair for the audio? I don't need overkill yet, since I'll get component video and digital audio cable when I get a new TV and DD/DTS receiver.

JimP

Auditioning
Hi Folks,

Seems like everyone seems to speak pretty highly of rhinocables, was going to go there to see what they had for component video cables, only, it seem their website must be down or something, because I can't get to their website. Try as I might, rhinocables.com can't be found...

Is that the right address?

thanks

...Jim

MarcF

Auditioning
Todd,

I think I'm sold on Rhino cables,

which component cable did you end up going with?

Standard, Performance, or Premium?

Thanks.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Hey Marc,

At the time Rhino only had 2 choices in their component cable line up.

I think I have the standard cables.

If I'm not mistaken the performance line is new.

The price is even lower now if this is the case. grrrr.

I was not looking to spend huge bucks on cables, thus I think these are an excellent performer at a great price.

Todd

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Todd,

I think Rhino had to lower their prices due to the recent competition from some E-bay sellers. Dont know how they and others are making a profit in this crowded market place.

I recently purchased their new performance series component cables. Slight improvement over their regular (1694a series)and to me worth it.

If interested in up-grading they may do a trade in deal. Havnt asked but they have been very accomodating to my special requests in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks