What's new

Receiver selection double-check (1 Viewer)

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
After recently purchasing a new house, I have began converting my full finished into my pseudo-dedicated HT. I am currently looking at upgrading my old Sony STR-DB930 with a 7.1 system. After quite a bit of research, I am narrowing in on the Onkyo TX NR809. The receiver will be dedicated for HT use, installed in a cabinet in wall. I expect to have 3 HD sources, possibly as many as 5 future. (Currently: PS3, Cable receiver, Blu-ray/Netflix/Streamer Future: XB360, HTPC). I will be connecting the HDMI output to a projector, but do not expect to also connect to a second output device, but it would be convenient to be able to. I prefer using digital optical as my audio transport medium, although with HDMI maybe this is a moot point? (Im a bit out of date on the newer tech) The audio output will be to an Acoustic Research AR2C center, AR1 Front Mains, AR15 surrounds, and AR17 surround backs. Since my room (soundstage) is relatively regular rectangle at about 28x13, I don't expect a lot of room correction is required, but the bells and whistles always give me something fun to fiddle with, even though semi-automated setup is a definite plus. I plan on controlling this receiver and the other components with a Logitech Harmony 1100 w/ RF, as it is in a cabinet in the back of the room. My budget on the receiver is $500-$800ish. Do I need to be asking myself any additional questions to help narrow down my choices, or is there some receivers I should look at as well as the NR809?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Not sure what you want to hear. The Onkyo 809 will more than meet your needs, and then some, and in the sub $1000 categories, Onkyo's provide excellent bang for buck. Should you explore other receivers? I wouldn't bother as the Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon competition will be comparable and the "soundstage" differences will be next to impossible for you to audition unless you can find a store that would allow you to take several receivers home for a weekend. Not worth your while. You can get an Onkyo 809 for ~$670 (accessories4less.com) refurb. If you really want to torture yourself and what something in the same price range, I would personally pick the Marantz 6005 for $100 less. JB

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the input. Looks like I can get the NR809 for about $800 new at newegg, or the 6005 for around $600. Not a big fan of refurb equipment, just personal taste. Thanks for suggesting a look at the Marantz unit.. It sure is a beautiful unit, and I had missed it in my initial searching. I think that it also will more than meet my needs, and it sure is purdy. I will be doing a new analysis on this and seeing how it compares, but looks like it might be a better receiver for my needs.. Did I mention its really pretty?

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
One thing I have been a little confused on is the purpose of "front height channels". I see that a lot of units offer surround back OR front height, selectable. Considering that I primarily watch movies (sourced from Blu-Ray, or DVD), I had planned on using my setup in a 7.1 arrangement with Front mains, a front center, 2 surrounds, and 2 surround backs. Is there any advantage to incorporating front height channels and what exactly do they do?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Front Height channels are designed raise the front sound stage. Using FH or SB channels is one of those debates that will rage on for some time. I say try them both and see which one works best for you, if either. If a refurb isn't something you would consider ac4l.com has the 6005 new for $599 (+ sh) and the 5005 for $469 (free sh). Both come with a 3 year warranty. These are the main differences between the two. The 6005 has... 1. 10 more watts per channel (110w x7 vs. 100w x 7) 2. HD radio built in 3. 2 extra HDMI inputs 4. LCD display on remote 5. 1 extra subwoofer output (2 total) 6. DC trigger (to trigger a remote screen, etc) A new 5005 for $469 shipped is a pretty good deal. The 5005 and 6005 are last years models so they may not have the latest internet/streaming features that the 809 might have. Also consider the H/K 2600/3600 and Denon 2112/2312. Or go to BestBuy and walk into the Magnolia sound room and ask them if they have any open box or display models. I just bought an open box Pioneer Elite 35-SC for $649 from my local BB. It's good as new and comes with a 2 year warranty. They had a Yamaha A-1000 last week for $399.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks