What's new

About to make a buy... (1 Viewer)

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I was going to wait to purchase some new speakers but being highly disappointed in the speakers on my samsung lcd I decided I can't put it off any longer.

I think I'm going with the svs sbs-01 5.1 system. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 12" sub but not sure if it's really needed for I have a pretty small living room. (11'x20'). Would the 10" do the trick in a room that size. I don't need an overkill, just a good sounding system.

I'm fairly inexperienced with all this so I could use some info on the best way to wire the sub up. Should I purchase special connectors from svs or am I better off purchasing cords somewhere else?

And if anyone can tell me why another system around the same price would be a better purchase, I'm listening.

Pretty excited to order!

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
JMO but I'd say get the system with the 12" sub. Can never have too much bass:D Seriously, this gives you headroom and the ability to handle a larger space in the future. Remember that you don't have to turn it all the up to get good performance. Like I said, JMO.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Ok, this is basically my girlfriend asking this. And she has the right to since we share expenses.

The svs system runs about $1000. To her that's insane, but she understands I want quality speakers. So is there anything even close to this system that runs a cheaper or is this the best bang for your buck in comparison to others sets in the $700-1000 range? Or cheaper for that matter.

I look at it as you get what you pay for. A $500 5.1 set up might be ok, but you would get so much more quality if I were to spend more. I know most here have way better set ups, but for someone that just wants some good quality speakers would I be just as well off with a cheaper set or is the svs wise buy?

Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into this?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1K is really the absolute minimum, not to mention something of a steal, for a decent 5.1 system. No, it is not insane. Spend $500 and you will probably be looking to upgrade in months. Buy this system and you may be satisfied for years. Personally though, I would look into the PCi 25-31 sub instead of one of the boxes, just because of its smaller footprint. That is something you have to decide for yourself, based more on the shape and size of the two subs.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I agree with John, 1k is pretty much the minimum: you definitely want a sub that will give you a theater feel, and 11'x20' is a decent sized room. A 10" sub might struggle there so don't worry about overkill. Drop a line to the people at SVS for recommendations if you haven't done so already. They thought a powered cylinder would work best in my room, and I did continue shopping but eventually went with their advice. The box subs for the bass I wanted were huge. Once your girlfriend hears your quality, finely tuned setup she'll see the investment is worth every penny. Word of caution; you may not want to frequent movie theaters very much after the install - but then you won't have to... :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If $1K is too much maybe consider just getting the 5 main speakers to start and then add a good subwoofer later...though you'd still end up spending the $1K but it'd be spread out a little.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Appreciate the ideas. I think I will email svs and see what they suggest.

I do think my girl will love the speakers, she's just cautious about spending money with the way things are right now. I'm quite sure we're fine, but it's nice she thinks the way she does.

I'm getting so tired of the tv speakers. I'm hard of hearing so I have to turn it up as loud as it goes and it isn't always enough.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:eek: Pete: you and your girlfriend are going to be absolutely thrilled with the sound from your new 5.1 system...especially if you go with the SVS system you are contemplating. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. :D

I don't have anything to rave about for speakers: 2 Polk R30 towers for fronts, 2 Polk R15 bookshelfs for rears, a Polk CSi25 for a Center and a Sony SA-WM40 12" subwoofer and I can't imagine having to listen to my TV speakers. That would really suck.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
The best thing about being hard of hearing is that you can get away with craking your system PAST reference levels and no one will complain :D :D :eek: :laugh:

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I must be thinking about this too much. Last night I had a dream I found some svs speakers at tj maxx, stemming from a tj maxx visit yesterday.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That's better than dreaming you saw a pair of womans shoes and a purse on the SVS web site. At least your priorities are in order!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And I thought I said exactly the same thing just a few posts up, Gene! :D So, make room for me in the minority. ;) My speaker set-up cost < $500 and I'm VERY happy. I know I could be happier if I spent more...but I don't have it to spend right now...damn kids/college, etc. :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ya. I saw that. But believe me, we're both in the minority! It's a small club, but a very happy one
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Man, this is driving me crazy! I go back and forth! I'm not saying I have money to burn, but it wouldn't hurt me to buy the svs system. But part of me, as well as the other half, leans toward lower priced set up. I just don't want to regret not spending a few hundred more in a couple years. Also, since I plan on using it for HT as well as music I tend to lean back towards the svs.

Tonight I'm making as diagram of my living room and sending it to svs and see what they have to say. Then I'll just have to make my decision.

Or go back and forth some more knowing me. Oh the drama!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even though I think a $500 system can still provide a lot of enjoyment, there is a noticable difference between it and a $1000 one. If this is going to be the only speaker purchase for quite a while (and it sounds like it is) then by all means get the best you can afford. You can always make more money but time travels at it's own pace. Enjoy it as much as you can.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Ok, I have a diagram of my living room completed. Have I left out any vital information or does it look good as it is?

*It is more clear then it shows up here.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

I TOTALLY understand the going back and forth, it took me three years to take the SVS plunge. What helped me was deciding I wanted to put together the best system I could that wouldn't hurt us financially, and my wife's agreement. If you can do that with the SVS and don't, you'll probably enjoy whatever you wind up with - but you will always wonder what you may have missed. They do have a nice return policy... :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And I'm glad he did. Cuz I'm the benefactor/caretaker of Barry's old Sony sub.

Someday I hope to grow up and be just like Barry with a nice, shiny SVS sub! :)

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

Hey, hope you two are still getting along!

I'm really happy Mike stepped up and provided a good home, I just hated the thought of taking ol' Sony to the shelter; these days, they tend to put 'em down! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks