What's new

ABBA: The Movie on DVD (1 Viewer)

walter o

Supporting Actor
is it just me or when a record/music label handles a motion picture release, there seem to be delays, like these two?

Vincent Fok

Agent
Well looks like I have to take back what I've said. According to Amazon the Universal Music DVD is finally coming out in R1 on October 11 and it's now up for pre-ordering.

(Sorry, I'm not yet allowed to post a link.)

The only catch is that it's not sure whether the $13.99 price is for (most-likely) the regular version or the (wishful thinking) the 2-disc LE. Guess we have to wait a little bit longer to find out.

Vincent Fok

Agent
Saw a few PAL copies (the DVDs are region 0) at my local HMV store yesterday (which is indeed to my astonishment since EzyDVD hasn't even listed this title). It is the 2-disc edition (1 DVD9 + 1 DVD5 according to the specs on the back). It has the same cover art as the Universal Music version announced on the ABBAsite.

Meanwhile the R1 release seems to be postponed once again. Amazon.com has changed release date to to be announced. My pre-order has been canceled.

Looks like I'll have to pick this up today at the store. And if I need a NTSC copy I'll have to order from Japan.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
What the hell is the problem now? Once again, we get to within 2 weeks of release to learn we wont get it. If it has all the bells and whistles then OK...but really! Between Dune Extended cut, and ABBA: The Movie, maybe i would be better off not knowing 2 months in advance whats coming out.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Amazon took today off as the release day. It has the who knows of 2010 as the release year now. I know it will come, just wondering whats up?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Shame about the stupidly placed chapter stops that do not take you to the beginning of each song, but smack-dab in the middle of them. What the heck is that all about?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about just ordering the R2 Japan SE and maybe double dip if a R1 release aver comes.

They also seem to have put the layer change in the middle of a song - d'oh! Saying that, the picture quality and DTS soundtrack are excellent though.

Steve

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
There´s not supposed to be any PAL-speedup issues with this title. I read this in a video industry magazine here in sweden (Video Monitor or the other one, "what´s it called" :))

They understood that the speedup would ruin the experience (music-wise) so they created a frame of visual information to match the music and to eliminate the 4% problem.

I haven´t seen the result yet but i´m very anxious to do just that as i´m a militant opposer to PAL-speedup.

Nick Beecham

Auditioning
Niko

Please can you post your findings on the PAL speed up as soon as you can verify this. Presumably it should be easy - just compare any song with how it sounds on a CD.

I was holding out for the R1 version, if there was going to be any PAL speed up.

Many thanks
Nick

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't notice any pal speed-up on the UK 2-disc edition and I usually always notice it, but I will check again tonight.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That's nice James. I guess the U.S. distributor really screwed this one up! Time to order from up north. Thanks!

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks