What's new

ABBA: The Movie on DVD (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Supposedly Universal is working to get this 1977 movie on DVD that features mostly concert footage from ABBA's '77 Australian tour. Currently it's only available in VHS form in England and Europe. Anyone know when it might be available on DVD?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Universal Sweden is working with the original materials for a worldwide release.

If you reference "ABBA: The Definative Collection" which is the DVD release of all 30 Videos, that is the quality level they are going for.

This year they are aiming to release the TV documentary of the 79-80 tour "ABBA: In Concert" that aired here on PBS in 79.

ABBA: The Movie, is being restored as well and is loosely slotted for a 2004 release.

it's 2.35:1, so wait for the DVD, the videos are PAL with speedup and P+S

Saw A:TM at the theater a few weeks back and the WS framing is *essential*

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info, Moe.
If you reference "ABBA: The Definative Collection" which is the DVD release of all 30 Videos, that is the quality level they are going for.
I just hope they don't go through the same problems they initially had with that fantastic collection. Hopefully Universal has learned some things with the botched releases of the Back to the Future set and the ABBA collection.

2004, huh? I can dig it. A 5.1 option would be sweet. You say you saw the movie at a theater recently, how did that happen? Was it a revival theater? I'd never expect to see the ABBA movie showing at a theater again.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles screened a very pink but complete print of the film as part of their tribute to director Lasse Hallstrom, who directed this film before MY LIFE AS A DOG and WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
An update from ABBA Site:

December 2003
Frida and Benny attend screening of restored ABBA – The Movie

ABBA’s classic 1977 feature film was celebrated as part of the Swedish Film Institute’s restoration programme and the Institute’s 40th Anniversary celebrations.

December 3, 2003

ABBA – The Movie, Lasse Hallström’s 1977 feature film made during ABBA’s tour of Australia, has recently been restored and received a special gala screening yesterday at the Swedish Film Institute in Stockholm. The screening, which was a part of the Film Institute’s 40th Anniversary celebrations, was attended by former ABBA members Frida and Benny, who both thoroughly enjoyed the event. ”I think it’s fantastic that the Film Institute looks after these movies and renovate them so that they can be preserved the way they originally were,” Frida told a television reporter.

The screening of the movie was preceded by an opening speech by Åse Kleveland, the Director General of the Film Institute. This was followed by a short lecture by Anita Falk, in charge of the Institute’s restoration project, who told the audience about the work done on ABBA – The Movie. Swedish TV personality Pekka Heino then introduced the film and invited guests on to the floor to ask them questions about ABBA in general and The Movie in particular. Among the interviewed guests were Frida, who shared some of her memories of the 1977 Australian adventure, Claes af Geijerstam, sound engineer on the tour, and Maritza Horn, one of three backing vocalists in ABBA’s tour entourage.

Much to the delight of the audience, costume designer Owe Sandström had brought along some of his costumes from the 1977 tour, including one of the wigs used during the mini-musical The Girl With The Golden Hair.

Among other members of ABBA’s inner circle in attendance at the screening were backing vocalist Lena-Maria Gårdenäs, guitarist Janne Schaffer, former Polar Music Vice President Görel Hanser and photographer Anders Hanser.

The restored version of ABBA - The Movie will be used when Polar Music International/Universal Music release the film on DVD. This release is currently scheduled to occur within the next few years.

"Next few years"?? At least they narrowed it down to this decade.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
ABBA The Movie will follow ABBA In Concert, and since this is now back to first quarter 04, expect ABBA The Movie in 2005

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I want this! I remember seeing this in the theatre as a kid, and would absolutely love to see it again.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Don't know if anyone else caught it but TCM actually aired ABBA:The Movie last night and I finally had the chance to see it for the first time. It was better than I thought it would be. Not a bad concert movie at all, with a bit of a comedic plot thrown in.

The picture looked great but the sound wasn't that good. I'm wondering if what TCM aired was the restored version or not since the DVD is on the way. Anyone know?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It was also shown last month on Oxygen or Womens Entertainment. I only caught a few minutes of it (and no blank video on hand to tape it!) and really liked it. At one point this past fall, their website stated that it was being worked on for a 2005 release.
Has anyone seen "Super Troupers" that was released recently? Didn't get it for Christmas, so I will be ordering it myself.

Here's the DVD info:
ABBA's 1977 feature film ABBA - The Movie, depicting their tour of Australia, will be released on DVD in 2005. Work on this project is ongoing at the moment, in terms of technical aspects as well as research into possible bonus material. At the moment, it looks as the DVD of ABBA - The Movie will be released at some point during the second half of 2005 (July-December). More details as soon as we have them.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The cable HD channels INHD and INHD2 were showing ABBA: The Movie last month. It was cropped to 16:9, as they do with most 2.35:1 movies unfortunately. Picture was decent, but seemed a little dark. Music seemed good, but I don't remember what the sound was, probably stereo. Quite a few good songs on there. First time I ever saw it.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Here's the latest info, from "The Official Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn, Frida Fan Club Magazine" (the official ABBA Fan Club) from #83, June, 2005:

"The USA's Warner Home Video has a DVD of ABBA- The Movie set for an August 16 release. It contains a new introduction and commentary by Lasse Hallstrom and a theatrical trailer. It is remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 and subtitled in English, French and Spanish. This release is not to be confused with Universal's which contains SFI's restored film and Benny and Berhard Lohr's new soundtrack."

So, that's the latest...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Anyone heard anything new on this? The DVD at Amazon was listed as "No Longer Available" this past weekend, and now is completely gone! Amazon.ca and .uk no longer list it. Nothing about at it ABBAsite.com... Has this been pulled for some reason?

jeff strickler

Stunt Coordinator
From Davis DVD...

Warner Home Video's planned release of ABBA: The Movie has been officially cancelled. It appears that the studio jumped the gun a bit and assumed it had release rights for the DVD, which - it turns out - they didn't.

Proper rights holder Universal Music Sweden instead will release the tour film worldwide this September 26th in both a single-disc edition, as well as a limited edition two-disc special edition. Fully restored and remastered from a new high-definition transfer and remixed into surround sound, the disc will feature an anamorphic transfer with Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS Surround and Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo tracks. Bonus materials on the two-disc set will include new interviews with director Lasse Hallstrom, Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, trailers, TV spots and still galleries featuring memorabilia and the original tour program.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the update on this Jeff. I went to my Amazon wish list and saw it was gone. All the other ABBA DVDs had come from Universal, i had assumed this one would as well. Hope we get it in September so i can delete it off TiVo.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I thought it odd that the fan club artilce I quoted from above mentioned both Warner and Universal discs being released. As long as SOMEONE releases it!!!

Vincent Fok

Agent
Anyone heard anything regarding this title?

For a DVD that is allegedly coming out within a month (and announced only on the ABBAsite), things are not looking optimistic with no official announcement from Universal Music, no pre-ordering available anywhere and no further news. :frowning:

*Sigh*, this and Let It Be are the two biggest non-release disappointments of 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks