What's new

ABBA - THE MOVIE [UK HD DVD Release] Anyone have this? (1 Viewer)

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious...

I got a copy last week and not even one minute into the VC-1 encode, I saw a digital dropout which looked like a master video hit and not an HD DVD error (meaning, I think, that the error is embedded in all the copies). The audio was not affected.

At between 40 - 50 seconds in, there is a shot of a kangaroo and, right on its leg, there were VERY visible black horizontal "dashes" in the image.

I checked the disc on both my Toshiba A1 and A35 and the error was present on both, even FFing and rewinding.

Little things like this really bum me out, especially if someone didn't catch this obvious dropout during the QC process.

Does anyone have this HD DVD besides me to check their copy?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I just looked at my recording from InHD a few years ago, and there is nothing like that. the closest I've seen to your description is the crossfade between the kangaroo lying down and the kangaroo standng up cleaning himself, there are black horizontal 'dashes' across the entire screen where the former shot of the kangaroo lying down was. If that's what you're talking about, that's the way it was edited, not a flaw in the transfer/encode.

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I see what they did now...

Those black splice lines in your pics seem to be mostly gone on the HD DVD after some sort of digital cleanup, but it looks like, when they cleaned up those frames digitally, they LEFT some of the splice lines on the leg in the fur. Probably because it would be very hard to paint out those splice lines on the texture of the fur perfectly.

Unfortunately, because of this, the short black lines now no longer look like a splice... they look like a digital anomaly!

Thanks a bunch... at least I now know that what I'm seeing is just sloppy cleanup on a DRS system or DaVinci Revival.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
If they removed them, that sucks because it's just a crossfade from the first scene. Sounds like they altered the print - wonder what else has changed.

VincentK

Grip
so, i just got this disc last week as well. on the label it says 1080i. this doesn't seem right. can someone confirm?

they did a really good job on the audio though. dts-hd master audio sounds amazing!

one other thing. am i missing something or are there no subtitles on the 40 minute extra interview? i can't really speak swedish!

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
VincentK asked: "so, i just got this disc last week as well. on the label it says 1080i. this doesn't seem right. can someone confirm?"

I've got the Toshiba A35, but my projector is only a Sony 60XS955, which is 720P that can display 1080I. I don't know how to truly check if it is 1080P or not with my set up. Otherwise, I'd let ya know. Didn't notice that until you mentioned it!

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Please...can anyone provide a source where I could purchase a HD-DVD of ABBA-The Movie.

VincentK

Grip
the only way i can think of how to do this would be someone who has an HTPC and can look at the actual video files. we need someone like Xylon from the avsforum! :)

i got it through xploitedcinema.com. he special ordered it for me, i think it ended up being slightly cheaper than amazon.co.uk

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator

Ahhh... so that was you! I spent New Years Eve with Tony, the owner of XPLOITED CINEMA (he's been a friend for years) and I mentioned I got the HD DVD and he said he just special ordered it for someone. Heh!

You and I might be the only two who have it... LOL!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Just curious, does the HD DVD have the same audio issue as the DVD. The sound on the DVD is a little quiet, except the musical numbers.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I just tried ordering the Blu-ray Disc version but amazon.uk said it wouldn't ship to my address (in the USA, not a PO box).

Is there something going on with Amazon UK not shipping to the USA?

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I Watched most of this film in Blu Ray at a friends house in Amsterdam about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty awesome. I didn't notice any defects (but I am not ultra picky anyways) other than the image seemed to freeze every now and then for a split second, like maybe there was a fingerprint or scratch on the disc or something. It looked quite film like on his big screen, we watched a few reels of the print he had access to and the Blu Ray blew it away. (sorry I know this is Hd dvd thread, I'm sure they HD DVD is just as good)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
just ordered the BD "used" so hopefully they'll ship to the USA.

Anyone know of the HD DVD and BD use the same video encode? What studio is releasing this?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Universal Music owns the ABBA music franchise. I think i read in another thread that Universal Music was releasing titles on Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks