What's new

A question for Mr. Belston or Mr Finn (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
adklz said:
"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" was released on DVD, but only in the big Elia Kazan box. It's been on my wish list forever, but I'm sure not buying that big box just for one movie. It would be great if it received an individual release. It would be even better on blu-ray. Heck, at this point I would settle for it being available from Netflix on disc or streaming. I just want to see it again.
Thanks for the response Jim. I've since told her it was coming next year, but Blu-ray only. She was quite disappointed. As is, The Elia Kazan Collection, like you, would be too costly. Maybe Fox will reconsider and add to their schedule an individual DVD release.
Eric Vedowski said:
"A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, WILD RIVER coming to Blu-ray in '13 as singles and as part of Blu-ray upgrade for Kazan set" Lou Luminek tweet from August 2012. I've seen "Duet for One," I hunted it down after seeing rave reviews for it. I agree-Andrews' best performance and a very good film.
Thanks Eric for providing the above info on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/240#post_3987031
BD players are getting really cheap these days...
It's not just the price of players today for some people.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/240#post_3987052
You can play DVDs in them and they work on SD TVs, what else could be a problem that I'm missing
Some people just don't want to support Blu-ray in anyway as I found out over the years dealing with certain members here.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
Some people just don't want to support Blu-ray in anyway as I found out over the years dealing with certain members here.
In the UK, to try and head off resistance to Blu-ray - and to reduce production costs - some of the smaller labels switched to duel-format releases. In the case of the BFI, they didn't actually increase the costs of the duel format sets above the cost of a single BD. The resistance then was from consumers who were actually quite angry at having a BD in the set; a disc they felt they'd never use and simply didn't want.
So, for a number of titles, though they held excellent HD elements, they produced them DVD only. Because it was what that particular demongraphic, in the main, demanded. Eureka seem to having a problem knowing what to do; they switched to duel format but it look like they've had the same issue, because they've gone back to issuing seperate DVD and BD releases in many cases.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I guess the point I was making is that you can hook a BD machine to a regular TV and still get an image if she wants the movie that badly, and it will still play all her DVDs too.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
My cousin wanted a blu ray machine to play through a regular tv for now. No go. Almost all new machines no longer have audio out (rca plugs for the sound. Only HDMI qhixh his television does not support.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Some people just don't want to support Blu-ray in anyway as I found out over the years dealing with certain members here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I go back to the Laserdics days and Image Entertainment. I used to get sent the Image digest, amongst other catalogs and video store newspapers from my then Lansing/Mi supplier of LDs. The editor of the digest mentioned DVDs(which were in pre-release mode then) but he was adamant that Image would definitely not be issuing DVDs. Wonder what happened to that guy?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]In UK the BFI issued some good Dual Format and booklets. Somewhere along the line I had one cancelled of a couple of sort after films by me made by a forgotten independent studio. It was then re-announced as a DVD with the two titles in it. No Blu Ray forthcoming after that of those titles. No reason was ever found for this change on that release. Hell, I know a guy who rejected the musical version of Lost Horizon with the extended version etc because he had the original VHS. He had ordered the DVD and is a fan of Peter Finch and made me wear it. We had a big row and I didn't win. I might add that we have had a few more rows since but I am more wary of him now. [/COLOR]

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Joe Caps /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/240#post_3987438
My cousin wanted a blu ray machine to play through a regular tv for now. No go. Almost all new machines no longer have audio out (rca plugs for the sound. Only HDMI qhixh his television does not support.

That's weird. I bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 for my boyfriend in August and it certainly had component hook ups as well as HDMI. Is this the newest of the new machines? No, but it's still fairly new.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Still can't believe the Analog Sunset needs explaining in 2012...
http://www.blondertongue.com/UserFiles/file/documents/Tutorial_Analog%20Sunset.pdf

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Congrats to Mr.Finn!
James Finn has been promoted to the newly created position of Senior Vice President, Worldwide Communications, Media and Partnerships. Finn will expand his domestic responsibilities to include international publicity and corporate communications, while taking on oversight of Media and Marketing Partnerships and Promotions for the division
http://www.wcax.com/story/19825343/twentieth-century-fox-home-entertainment-elevates-marketing-executives-for-global-alignment

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Eric Vedowski said:
I've seen "Duet for One," I hunted it down after seeing rave reviews for it. I agree-Andrews' best performance and a very good film.
"Duet For One" was new level for Julie Andrews. One of her best performances by far. The scene in the car with Alan Bates is incredible. It's a wonderful, haunting film. It's sad that it has never made it to DVD. Would love to see this on Blu.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
AnthonyP said:
Thank you for your time and sharing Mr. Finn.
I was wondering if you can share anything about titles being licensed to Anchor Bay (or are there others outside of them and Twilight Time)?
Though I imagine Fox doesn't control specifics, I was curious about whether you might be able to say whether we can expect titles they have re-released on DVD this past year to see a BD release from them eventually or not (do they have viable HD masters, etc.) and whether you might be able to say if that is an ongoing relationship or just includes the few dozen titles they have already released/announced?
Also, do companies like an Anchor Bay make the decision whether or not to include extras available on previous DVD releases for BD or is that something Fox might dictate to them?
Follow-up to my question a couple months ago in case anyone else might be interested also.
I received a reply back from AB inquiring about a dozen or so titles they have licensed from Fox and have re-released on DVD to find out if they might be coming on BD soon or eventually.
Unfortunately, we do not have plans to release those titles on Blu-ray at the present time but we always take our consumers' opinions into consideration.
Amy Svireff, Marketing Coordinator
Hopefully that doesn't mean ever. It would be sad to think that AB is licensing them because re-releasing them on DVD, after already being available for a decade, is worthwhile but a BD release isn't.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/210#post_3980044
Just wanted to take a moment to thank Mr. Finn and the group at Fox for these wonderful editions of Hoffa and War of the Roses.
Just got my copies today and just the packaging design and the generous booklets make these feel worthy of being Criterion titles. I'm sure the new extras and the HD transfers will be equally impressive.
Thanks again
glad to hear it. Danny was a pleasure to work with on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks