What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Goodbye, Mr. Chips – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Spoiler alert: I always found it interesting how John Huston's MOULIN ROUGE offered a variation of GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS's classic ending, with the protagonist, in his death bed, smiling wistfully as he thinks about the loved ones in his life. And there they are, phantom-like, reminding him of what gave his life meaning and pleasure... before literally saying goodbye. Works magnificently in both cases.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Thought they debut at 21.99

$21.99 is the MSRP for the typical WAC titles. (Or, at least, it was, and might not be any longer.)

At any rate, what the MSRP might be is largely irrelevant to what the going rate might be at any vendors. I suspect that the only purpose of an MSRP is to establish a figure that determines wholesale prices to the vendors.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
Not to mention “Goodbye Rhett Butler”…Robert Donat unexpectedly triumphed over Clark Gable by winning the 1939 Best Actor Oscar thus upending the GWTW juggernaut somewhat..,

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not to mention “Goodbye Rhett Butler”…Robert Donat unexpectedly triumphed over Clark Gable by winning the 1939 Best Actor Oscar thus upending the GWTW juggernaut somewhat..,
Yes, and Gable wasn't even the first runner-up. James Stewart came in second for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Gable finished third in the voting.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, and Gable wasn't even the first runner-up. James Stewart came in second for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Gable finished third in the voting.
If they had an Oscar for swankiest actor, Gable would have won. He didn't really need to act in Gone With The Wind, as the tailoring did all the necessary work.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
My only exposure to The 39 Steps was in college. It was a very worn print that made it hard to appreciate. Needless to say, I will be seeking out a better version on disc.
Criterion release was great Donat could have made so many greats had his health been betterhttps://www.criterion.com/films/234-the-39-steps

Last edited:

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
If one were to have asked Freddie Young what his favorite film was in his long career, the answer might be a surprise.

As it isn't a Hollywood studio-bound film, but rather a full-on UK production, the assignment went to Mr. Young, who was with M-G-M UK - and Chips is his favorite of all his work.

I'll begin another graph with the word "if."

If 1939 is truly the best year for motion pictures, Goodbye, Mr. Chips is one of the top films produced in 1939. I've always equated this film with John Ford's The Long Gray Line - and they're both superb films. Some may find them overly sentimental. I've never seen it that way. I love them both.

Chips was an extremely important film in 1939. Extremely popular. Extremely printed. To a point at which the elements became rather ragged. I've not seen a great print in aeons- literally fourth and fifth generation elements.

Fortunately for all of us the WB archival techs were able to ferret out an old nitrate dupe, which is the source of the new 4k scan.

Since many people have received Rancho Notorious, word arose that there were shocks as to the quality. That's my position on Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

Suffice to say that it's one of the greatest films ever made, and belongs front and center in everyone's library.

For those who may be seeing this film for the first time. I'll express my supreme jealousy in advance.

Robert Donat is sublime and Greer Garson quite wonderful.

Image – 3.75

Audio – 4

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

SIMPLY A SPECTACULARLY SIMPLE PLEASURE ..HAS NOT LOST A FRACTION OF ITS APPEAL AND THE PRINT IS - A MIND BLOWING MASTERSTROKE!!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If they had an Oscar for swankiest actor, Gable would have won. He didn't really need to act in Gone With The Wind, as the tailoring did all the necessary work.
So many great performances that year = Gable did not really want to play Rhett bet he really treasured his Oscar for his win 1934 = BUT every film lover will say Donat was the right pick!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
An irrefutable masterpiece with one of the defining and all-time great performances by an actor - EVER! Garson is a treasure also. And the Brookfield school anthem is poignant, enough to bring a tear to the eye every time. But it's Donat who holds the picture together, miraculously to age from his mid-twenties to eighty. Make-up will only get you so far. Donat is Chips, at any of the various stages of this life well-lived. Hard to think of another star of any vintage who could make it look as convincing. O'Toole's performance in the '68 remake cannot hold a candle to him.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Goodbye, Mr. Chips falls into that rare category of picture-making that, once seen, will stay in your heart and mind forever. I don't know what that magical quality is. More over, Hollywood has never been able to bottle it to revisit the well twice - especially when they try.

It's actually what Orson Welles once relayed to Peter Bogdanovich as a 'happy accident' (when things work out). "You might say," Welles went on, "...that a director presides over happy accidents."

String enough of those together and you have a classic. Miss the bull's eye repeatedly and you either have nice pictures with zero afterlife or certifiable duds that will never become what all movies ought to, for those who truly love them - cherished memories, as dear to us as the one's in life we make for ourselves.

Few movies rank in this category. Goodbye, Mr. Chips is decidedly one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks