What's new

A question for Mr. Belston or Mr Finn (1 Viewer)

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
I promise to dig through all the inquiries -- there are a lot of thoughtful and passionate questions, suggestions and insights on this strand -- just haven't had the time to do so yet. Some things I can comment on or tease, other things I either don't have an update or don't have one that I can publicly discuss yet. Thanks all. And if you are in LA on the 20th and want to check out Gentlemen Prefer Blondes on the big screen, we'd love to have you....just DM Ron.

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Thx James.
I only want to know whether Pink Panther series and The King of Comedy will be released on Blu anytime soon?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
James,

All of us appreciate the fact you are still checking in here.

I also second THE KING OF COMEDY. Great De Niro film.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Mr. Finn...
Is there another release for Michael Mann's LAST OF THE MOHICANS being prepared? The reason for the question is that I viewed it on cable in a much better version than the blu-ray released last year.
I found the blu-ray to be unwatchable(way too dark) while the cable showing was just 'right'.
Thank you

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/240#post_4000813
Mr. Finn...
Is there another release for Michael Mann's LAST OF THE MOHICANS being prepared? The reason for the question is that I viewed it on cable in a much better version than the blu-ray released last year.
I found the blu-ray to be unwatchable(way too dark) while the cable showing was just 'right'.
Thank you
IMO, the BD is correct as far as the darkness.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
It may be correct but it is not the version I saw in first run theatres back when. It is not he same as the 'Director's cut dvd that I have nor is it the same as the cable version(of the latest cut) I saw the other night. The Blu-ray IMO is too dark.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/240#post_4000820
It may be correct but it is not the version I saw in first run theatres back when. It is not he same as the 'Director's cut dvd that I have nor is it the same as the cable version(of the latest cut) I saw the other night. The Blu-ray IMO is too dark.
As I remembered, it was very dark when I saw it twice during it's first theatrical run.

Crawdaddy

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/240#post_4000813
Mr. Finn...
Thank you
unwatchable - really? That's the first i heard that comment.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've read that comment - or similar - on the 'net on a few forums.
Not that I agree with it; I'm *delighted* with the release; one of my favourite films.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Finn said:
unwatchable - really? That's the first i heard that comment.
Thanks for the reply. On my calibrated 60 inch Kuro the Blu is too dark overall while the dvd is just fine. A shame as I believe that with the 3 versions of the film I've seen the last one that contains the blu-ray is the best. Oh well, I'm usually thrilled with Fox product and am looking forward to the 50th Anniversary of Cleopatra.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Mr. Finn, just a follow up as to I heard there's a digitial 3D restoration of 1953's INFERNO. Any chance a 3D Blu Ray could be in the offering? Next year is the 60th Anniversary of that film, after all.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
INFERNO was restored several years ago from left/right 35mm materials by the late Daniel Symmes. All alignment issues were corrected and there are now HD left/right masters.
One of the top ten 3-D motion pictures of all time.
Dan's restoration is stunning.
www.3dfilmarchive.com

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Bob Furmanek said:
INFERNO was restored several years ago from left/right 35mm materials by the late Daniel Symmes. All alignment issues were corrected and there are now HD left/right masters.
www.3dfilmarchive.com
As you know, I've seen the film in 3D twice (dual strip) and agree with the assessment that it is a top ten film. I believe a 3D blu ray of it would be absolutely stunning.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw "Inferno" at Film Forum in 2010 I believe it was - dual strip 35mm - great experience, really enjoyed the movie for what it was - I would buy it on BD3D if it ever came out in the format.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Furmanek said:
www.3dfilmarchive.com
Was this restoration screened at the Expos or did we see a pre-restoration print? I don't remember, only that I was impressed. I was already a fan of Roy Ward Baker's work, but Inferno was a revelation.
Todd J Moore said:
As you know, I've seen the film in 3D twice (dual strip) and agree with the assessment that it is a top ten film. I believe a 3D blu ray of it would be absolutely stunning.
Indeed it would.
One of my Most Wanted films on Blu-ray.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I'd certainly like to see some best picture winners like Cavalcade and some westerns like Garden of Evil, My Darling Clementine, and The Gunfighter. As well as the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals and Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat.

L

Larry-Bender

Hello Mr Finn--I asked Twilight Time if they had asked Fox if they could obtain DOCTOR DOLITTLE and STAR! and they said that Fox sounded like they were going to do these titles on their own. Any truth to this? Regards Larry Bender ak. Trajan.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bob Furmanek said:
INFERNO was restored several years ago from left/right 35mm materials by the late Daniel Symmes. All alignment issues were corrected and there are now HD left/right masters. One of the top ten 3-D motion pictures of all time. Dan's restoration is stunning. www.3dfilmarchive.com
Agreed. Had the chance to see this restoration TWICE at Film Forum over the years. One of the most effective 3D films I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks