What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Walk the Line -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
James Mangold's Walk the Line, which was nominated for five Academy Awards in 2005, and allowed Reese Witherspoon to take home the heavy statuette, was one of my favorites of the year. And as good as Mr. Hoffman's performance was in Capote, I'm one of those who believes that Mr. Phoenix, as Johnny Cash, should also have taken home one of those men in gold.

The film saw several incarnations in standard definition released in 2006 and 2007, and they were all quality DVDs with a beautiful image and quality audio.

As a film that I hold in high esteem, I've been waiting patiently for it to arrive on Blu-ray, and that time has finally arrived.

Everything that was good about the earlier release has been pumped up for Blu-ray. The imagery is perfectly and cleanly rendered with proper grain, superb color, full shadow detail, and rich, crisp blacks.

The performances are heightened by DTS-HD Master Audio which now permits the home theater viewer with a high end system to decode the original tracks, and to fully appreciate and understand why the film was nominated for an Academy Award for Sound Mixing. The audio, via DTS-HD is rich, full, room-filling, and discrete enough to register full differentiation between vocals, background music, and the ever-present guitar. Played at proper volume, this is one of the "lease-breaking" Blu-rays.

The track on Walk the Line will not only test your system's limits, but for those lucky higher end users, may well serve as a new standard for exhibiting precisely how perfectly balanced and full audio on Blu-ray can be.

Is Fox's Blu-ray release of Walk the Line what I would consider "reference" quality?

Most assuredly, yes.

Walk the Line is one of a handful of truly great bios of musicians, now Perfectly represented on Blu-ray.

Those who have not experienced this film are in for a treat. This is one to add to the library.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,

It's pretty ironic that I ordered this BRD release about four hours before you posted your comments and I started to have buyer remorse because I didn't read any reviews on it, until this thread. Anyhow, I'll be watching this puppy in the next couple of days so thanks for easing any misgivings I had in making this purchase.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No worries here, Robert. Fox has knocked this one out of the park. It sits with the absolute best
of their current work. Just remember to crank that volume.

RAH

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford ">[/url]

RAH,

It's pretty ironic that I ordered this BRD release about four hours before you posted your comments and I started to have buyer remorse because I didn't read any reviews on it, until this thread. Anyhow, I'll be watching this puppy in the next couple of days so thanks for easing any misgivings I had in making this purchase.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
This is currently only $12.99 at Costco, which I believe beats everyone right now.

I bought this and went online to check reviews of disc quality. I was surprised to see a lot of hate for this disc, primarily because it's the theatrical cut, and this was issued on blu abroad with the extended cut and more extras as a two-disc set.

However... there are people who have complained that the extended version features some EE & DNR. As its not the same cut, its not hard to believe its a different transfer than the theatrical that Robert has rated so highly.

PQ is tops for me, so I think I'll go with the theatrical based on Robert's glowing review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks