What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Men in Black -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Having had my fill of problem transfers this past week, I moved to what I hoped would be more stable ground -- a new Blu-ray from Columbia / Sony.

For a film over a decade old, Men in Black looks surprisingly good.

The color process seems stable, with only an occasional shot or two having flesh tones taking on an odd alien quality.

Dirt is amazingly not a problem, as I'm certain the print used to make this disc would have been run many times.

I perceived no obvious tears, finger prints or scratches.

The audio is called Dolby True HD -- apparently some early form of what we know today as stereo.

There are tons of extras on this Blu-ray, but the information that I was seeking was not included.

Doing an on-line search however, I learned that this very early "stereo" was actually an array of machines recording audio on sets of wax cylinders, each 46" in length.

Six of them in line.

All held together and kept in sync, as far as I can tell, with bicycle chains.

This works quite well, as when someone speaks... Mr. Jones, for example, the sound appears to come out of his mouth, and also to a certain point seems to follow him around on the screen.

Blacks seem rich, film grain, which was apparently laid on to the original negative by hand in those days, isn't overbearing, and is actually quite pleasant.

Color is rich and looks like the film that I recall seeing lo those many years ago.

Whatever Columbia's team has done here, the restoration work is brilliant, and as I said...

This does not look like a film THAT old. One would never know that it was highly flammable.

Men in Black is Highly Recommended... for a film of its age.

RAH

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
....well. no wonder some of the fleshtones look alien. I noticed unusual skitones on some of the flippers too. The way Sony has been going, it's getting hard to badmouth 'em, damn....I need a new whipping post.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just came back from EMA 2008,
I was very pleased with their presention of BD Live and showing us some of the extras on the BD.
It is a very nice Blu-ray.
and will be buying this tomorrow morning.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
LOL! Nice to hear some good news this week! Mine finally showed up last night, so this has me looking forward to it greatly.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Sony has been doing things right for a while now - particularly using very little to no DNR on their releases. Some people could learn a thing or two from them. I just received MIB in the mail the other day and will be watching it soon - always a fun movie. Always nice to read RAH's comments!

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Could be the fumes from the nitrate prints. Don't smoke in the booth! :D

(yes, I know they've been using acetate "safety film" for decades now)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mr Harris. It's always nice to see that irony is alive and well in the US of A. :D

Brad M

Second Unit
I finally got around to watching this and noticed that it is maybe a bit too clear. (Not really possible, I know) You can see the studio walls in the opening desert scene. When K says the line, "When did they let you out of jail?" and when he says, "Hand me that head" you can see the walls of the studio in the background. I wonder how many other things will pop out as time goes by.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Does this has to do with the clarity, or with different framing from the SD? I'm definitely going to check for it on the SD, I love these kind of errors.
Reminds me of a bit in Jurassic Park (a great film, but riddled with mistakes) when the car gets thrown upside down by the T-Rex, you can see a potted plant and a stage light clearly in shot
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brad M

Second Unit
I don't know Brian. It's the first time I've watched the movie in HD and on a real TV. If it was on the DVD, I never noticed but didn't have the same set-up so I could have easily missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks