What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kiss of the Spider Woman -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hector Babenco's Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985), is the most important and interesting independent film thus far to have been released on Blu-ray.

To go into the story line is to damage the experience, and I'll not do that.

Suffice to say that William Hurt (who won the Best Actor award for his performance), along with the great Raul Julia and Sonia Braga, form a trio that is not easily forgotten.

Released by what appears to be a new entity, Independent Cinema Restoration Archive via City Lights, the film looks much as it did the last time I saw it on 35mm film. Grain may have been reduced a bit, but it appears not at the detriment of the overall image.

The original monaural audio track is available, along with a 5.1 remix.

There is also something else here that helps to create the illusion of film, and that is that the element used for transfer shows very slight wear and tear of the laboratory life of an independent, most likely after being removed from Metrocolor.

Occasional minus density, a fine mark or scratch here and here. Nothing problematic.

I can only assume that cost kept the film from being digitally spruced up.

The transfer itself is fine, yielding a quality Blu-ray. Make no mistake. One will not be selecting KotSW to show off a system.

There are plenty of discs available for that.

Kiss of the Spider Woman is about script, acting, cinematography and overall quality filmmaking.

Those who have never experienced it are in for a treat.

As a note, City Lights has set up an interesting distribution deal. The film will be available exclusively on disc as well as download via Amazon for a limited period, (October 21) after which it will be found in normal distribution channels.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I was already intrigued by this title but am even more so now. Thanks for the review and the 'seal of approval'. ;)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear that the presentation is 'approved'.

Saw the film theatrically so many years ago and have been waiting a long time for a home video release that would do justice to the film. (Haven't watched the VHS tape in ages.)

- Walter.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks for the clear review. Suddenly we get both a DVD and a BD version of this movie. This film has never been on DVD and I still own the VHS tape. I'm glad I can safely order the BD apparently.

Cees

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe the discussion relates to analogue artifacts.

The element used for transfer was far from pristine, but clean up could have cost more than the film will bring in from sales.

The only odd point is that the film is being presented by Independent Cinema Restoration Archive, and the amazon notes carry the line:

"Notice: This full-length feature film has been digitally remastered and restored."

If one is going to preach film restoration...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks