What's new

3-D movies (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
it seems that many studios have at least one or two of the old fashioned Red/Blue 3-D movies...Universal for example with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, Columbia has THE MAD MAGICIAN, Warner: DIAL M FOR MURDER (though i wonder if prints survive) and Fox must surely have theirs. And yet nothing has been release by these companies on LaserDisc or DVD. I am just wondering why they are not released in the 3-D format...
Too difficult for successful transfer?
People won't buy them?
Prints are not available?
any comments from those in the know? i would appreciate it ....thank you.

DaveX

Agent
I know of a couple 3-d films on DVD, but I would LOVE and buy many more. If you don't know of any, I'll tell you what they are.
I know Jaws was in 3D in the theatres at one time. Amazing.
Studios, 3D DVD's would be huge.

GregK

Screenwriter
Regarding the 3-D films from the 1950's, note that almost
all of the major releases (including the dreaded "Robot
Monster") were in the superior polorized 3-D process. But
many were later re-released in anaglyph (red/blue) 3-D,
as anaglyph requires no special screen, no adapter for
the projector, (or an interlocked projector, in the case
of dual print 3-D releases) and the red/blue glasses are
cheaper. Polorized 3-D is nearly impossible for CRT video
playback, so again the dreaded anaglyph format was/is used
quite often for 3-D video. But cancellation of the left/
right images is poor with anaglyph video, and thankfully
most studios are now steering clear of video anaglyph
encoding.
If your display can handle the field-sequential 3-D format,
look for what may be the best 3-D video yet this October: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../026953.html#6

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Friday The 13th Part 3 I never had the chance to see that great movie in 3-D.
Amityville Part 3 was also in 3D, Did anyone manage to see that ???
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
C:WINDOWSDesktopbsmoke.art
" Chicks cannot hold dey smoke, that's what it is "

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Okay, I am nearing 30 and I recall the wonderful 3-D rebirth in the early 80's. Granted, there were a few bads ones (Treasures of the Four Crowns) and there were great ones (Friday The 13th Part 3, and the re-issued Dial M For Murder and House of Wax).
Though it may seem like a rather silly statement, it amazes me that we can send people to the moon in the 60's, but here we are in 2001 and we can't come up with decent presentations for 3-D at home.
I would very much love to be able to purchase the DVD's for 3-D films, if they were presented in that format. 3-D is very much a forgotten art form. One that is lost on todays movie going public.
I had the pleasure of seeing Friday 3 at a 3-D marathon two Halloweens ago. I must say that the print, though aged was still in great shape and presented a nice picture. The people that came were simply blown away at seeing the film in 3-D. It was a remarkable experience. (I always tell this story in regard to 3-D films. The owner of the theater told the crowd that only two prints existed of this film at the present in the 3-D format. That is what makes this films such a rare experience when it comes to your area. Whether this is the case or not, it makes me concerned about how the studios have kept these films.)
The technology is surely there should the studios take the time to endulge themselves and get out these films.
Seeing the film House of Wax is a treat enough for the wonderful performances, Vincent's work is a masterpiece, but to rob the public now of this film in the way that the director intented for it to be seen, is truely a crime. It is a portion of movie history that the studios are keeping locked away, and instead, and are opting for the two-dimensional format.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Jaws 3-D and Friday the 13th Part 3 were both released in field-sequential 3-D in Japan on the defunct VHD videodisc format. The discs had Japanese subtitles on them but the masters for these without subtitles must exist somewhere. 3-D TV Corporation put out a number of the smaller movies in field-sequential 3-D on VHS, including The Stewardesses, Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, Comin at Ya and Cat Women of the Moon, which I've had for about 10 years and still think they look good (except for their being on VHS of course.)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see Paramount re-issue Friday the 13th Part 3 in it's original 3-D format. I've never seen this in 3-D, but from everything I've heard, it's one of the better uses in 3-D of any film that's used it.
I'd also love to see Warner issue a 3-D version of Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder. One of my favorite Hitchcock movies.
------------------
Help urge Fox to release Terror Train on DVD Uncut!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../003324.html#0

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks