What's new

2 systems - 1 output question.. (1 Viewer)

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
I am an average Joe with a limited knowledge when it comes to audio equipment..... and a budget to match...
I was thinking of a situation, but as I read further and gather more information, I think i grasp the idea behind Bi-amping, as I read in the primer (which I am still rooting around in) and another thread.

Two sepereate signals HF and LF to the same speaker (that can support bi-amping)
and not running one signal into another amp and splitting it off from there. (which is what I thought bi-amping was at first)

I am putting this to a new thread so as to avoid hijacking another thread.
----------------------
Scenario:
I have my old HTiB sitting idle in another room and it drives me crazy... (its not really that good but it did serve its purpose in the past)

Question:
Would it be advantageous to take that second system and use it for the sole purpose of surround signal? I don't want to overload the surround channels by adding more speakers but I would like to increase the amount of speakers to the rear of the room.

Splitting the signal from the DVD into to separate amps and leave the primary amp as it is. take the secondary amp turn off the front channel and run just the rear channel and passive 10" sub

Or

Splitting the rear signal off as it exits the primary amp and run one lead to the speakers and another to the second amp? then go from there....

Is this just plain overkill or is it worth the effort for the end result?

someday I will upgrade but until then....

Thank you,
Lyle

"The only Dumb question is the one that goes unasked"
"you gotta learn sometime...."

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Lyle,

I’m afraid your post is pretty fuzzy. It’s not clear which DVD player you’re talking about (the one on the HTIB or the one in your current system), what you mean by “separate,” “primary” and “secondary” amps (Built into the receiver? Or the old HTIB? A separate multi-channel amp?). Not to mention, nothing in the body of the post remotely resembles the title of the thread - which only adds to the confusion.

A couple of things are certain, though. First: Unless the HTIB has pre in/main out jacks (probably doesn’t), you can consider it out of the picture. Second:

Splitting the rear signal off as it exits the primary amp and run one lead to the speakers and another to the second amp?
You can’t send speaker leads to an amplifier input.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about that, I was trying....
Something along the lines of this
Using rear output into the audio input on the secondary amp/reciever.
home.earthlink.net/~elwe/hometheatre/theater1.jpg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ah. So you're taking the pre-outs on the surround channels, to power a second amp, to power 4 more surround speakers. This sounds like it should work. This is unrelated to biamping, etc, though. And then you'd have like 6 surround channels? That seems like overkill, except for maybe like a big 7.1 setup with 4 L/R surrounds, and then 2 rear backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks