What's new

#1 Factor in buying TV DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Audioman321

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jane Smiths
I think the main reason for me to buy one, is that I like the show very much and want to see it again and again.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Magnus_M

Stunt Coordinator
There's several factors in deciding what to buy, but price is a very important one.
Having the shows and being able to watch them anytime I feel is another one, not being restriced by air dates and having to sit through commercials etc.

But #1 is how much I like the show, if it's great then I'll buy it without hesitation.
If it's decent I'll wait for a good deal, if it's an unknown at a nice price I might take a chance.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

I do that on occaision myself. On "Black Friday" of 2006 I picked up Season 1 of Charmed because a store had it as one of their $14.99 "Loss Leaders". Liking the show I have purchased Seasons 2 & 3. (Another store had them as bargains last summer) Seasons 4-8 will be purchased as soon as they hit the Bargain Bins! :D

And Yes Magnus, the ability to watch shows whenever I want without having to endure all the Inturruptions is the biggest reason I buy DVDs!:emoji_thumbsup:

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Those are really good reasons, especially about watching them when you want. If it wasn't for DVD, there are a lot of shows I own that I wouldn't get to see, whether it be new shows or older ones. I missed most of Lost last season, I kept missing the airtimes and great shows like Mission: Impossible don't get shown on TV. I never used to care about price but now I'm trying to stretch my dollars, so I haven't bought the Fugitive or M:I Season 3 yet until they go on sale.

conedude13

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I usually just stick to movies instead of DVD's, so i actually put a lot of thought into it if i'm on the market to buy a show's full season/series. I stick to the lighter side of things by getting stuff like Samurai Jack or ATHF. The wife gets most of the shows on DVD.

But, when i do get involved in deciding on what show to get on dvd, the number one factor is if i truly like the show. and when i do start buying seasons of it i will always finish it off by buying the entire series from season one to the end.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Both American Life and our local Retro TV Network shows Mission:Impossible at night.

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
The one and only factor for me is if I know I am going to watch the show from start of the season to finish more than once or twice.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
1. Have to like the show. duh;)

2. Will it stand up to repeat viewings.

3. price, can't be to insaine to buy it on first release, if not wait to get it used or after price reduction.

4. Is the set produced by a decent production company the turns out dvd sets of decent quality? Personally I avoid all sets by adv and anchor bay because their quality of there sets is usually in the POS range. So quality of the set matters and I usually hold off until I read some reviews of the set.

Thats about it , why I buy dvd sets;)
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
1) price. No matter how much I want to see something, if it's priced outrageously I will not be buying it. ($30 max for a one season set)
2)rarity/ scarcity. Is the show still airing on TV where I can watch for free? Has the show aired in the last 10 years?
3)Nostalgia. A high percentage of shows I have bought come from the programs I loved as a kid/young adult.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mainly, I like the show and don't want to have to just hope it'll come back to TV and be uncut to boot. Still, there have been times when I've wanted a show badly, but then it starts airing on TV and that takes the wind out of my sails. For example, when Sanford and Son first came out on DVD, it had been off TV Land for a while. They started airing it again, and even though the DVDs would mean I could watch it any time I wanted in mostly unedited condition, I still was less inclined to buy it.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Is for me not having every cable channel when I was young. When DVD's came out and had a DVD player and saw TVshows on DVD out that had shows I heard about or saw on other people's tv's or whatnot.

With only basic cable I missed out on many good series. Now with these tv shows I can pick up as an entire series boxset. or singles if hearing the boxsets are not made good

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One thing that influences my purchases is the subject matter of the series in question. For example, "Hawaii Five-O" has been a long-standing classic for more than 40 years (though it only ran 12) because of its rich writing, Hawaiian scenery, opening titles, music, and the general format of the series-- a special investigative unit solving crimes in the 50th state. Now, sure, I wasn't born then, but that hasn't stopped me (for one) from purchasing all of the currently released seasons and seeing and appreciating for myself why "Five-O" was the classic that it was.

CBS DVD has also done right by the series on a technical level, with great transfers, great packaging of the releases, and great menus, among other things.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
For me, TV on DVD is a chance to see classic shows that were before my time and that are not rerun (or are not widely rerun). My personal preference is for detective/spy shows from the 60s and 70s and if a show falls in that genre I'll definitely check it out. What I'll usually do is try a show through Netflix and decide if I just want to rent it or take the plunge and buy it. The shows I've discovered and collected on DVD (Mission: Impossible, Wild Wild West, Rockford Files, just to name a few) have been great - better than today's genre offerings.

A close second is nostalgia - I bought Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. because I remembered watching it with my whole family on Friday nights when I was 10...and was very happy to see it held up.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Mark, there've been some great sales on "Brisco" in the past year or so. I picked it up in Feb 2008 when Deep Discount briefly offered it for less than $25. In the past month or so, I've picked up several copies of it for friends -- Costco has had it for $16.99.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
More and more, I'm considering how likely it is the series release will see completion.
So many abandoned series left on the side of the road...

-g

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney

I picked up my copy for around $35...not bad for 8 discs and all the episodes. Heck, Paramount charges that for HALF of most of their shows.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Another reason, besides that which I aforementioned on this post, is that for those programs I truly enjoy, they help take me back to a particular time/era which are favorites and/or memorable in my life.

Watching particular episodes from a certain time can remind me of how fine life was for me at the time. And it does not have to be from that immediate time, either: the program can also have aired years after the show's run originally ended and I caught the episode when I was somewhere special in my life when my television just so happened to be on. Case-in-point: Room 222, whose first season was released this past Tuesday by Shout! Prior to the DVD set release, I had a tape of some episodes I recorded from TV Land back in 1999 as I was entering into a wonderful period of my life which continues to this day. Watching those taped episodes in anticipation of the since-arrived DVD set helped me to remember how great things were for me in that fine 1999 summer as I seriously began building my home theater to where it now is today!!!!!!!!

That is one reason I offer in conjunction to the original post.

Gee, it seems as if that ten-years-ago period was only yesterday...

Rodrick

Second Unit
shows that I enjoyed seeing when there wasn't vcr's to record your shows you miss cause of school, bedtime etc.......

whether or not the seasons are in tact almost all come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks