What's new

R.I.P. Tim Beddows, founder of Network Distributing (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just learned of the sad news that Tim Beddows, founder and managing director of the wonderful U.K. label Network Distributing, died suddenly earlier this week at the too-young age of 59.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/tim-be...haA23LLYsUPmxwrBDs8FycvLcYqoHEOXCRR4-dicr4ceo

I never met or corresponded with Tim, but from all I've heard about him, he sounds like he was an all-around great guy, and fans of archive British films and television owe him a huge debt for the long list of rare, not-so-rare and totally obscure gems released by Network on DVD and Blu-Ray over the years, nearly all of them at a uniformly high standard of quality. I know a huge percentage of my personal UK TV library is made up of Network releases. I'm especially thankful for the loving care that Mr Beddows and his colleagues at Network have lavished on my beloved ITC shows. His company's releases have brought me countless hours of viewing pleasure and will continue to do so for years to come.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Just learned of the sad news that Tim Beddows, founder and managing director of the wonderful U.K. label Network Distributing, died suddenly earlier this week at the too-young age of 59.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/tim-be...haA23LLYsUPmxwrBDs8FycvLcYqoHEOXCRR4-dicr4ceo

I never met or corresponded with Tim, but from all I've heard about him, he sounds like he was an all-around great guy, and fans of archive British films and television owe him a huge debt for the long list of rare, not-so-rare and totally obscure gems released by Network on DVD and Blu-Ray over the years, nearly all of them at a uniformly high standard of quality. I know a huge percentage of my personal UK TV library is made up of Network releases. I'm especially thankful for the loving care that Mr Beddows and his colleagues at Network have lavished on my beloved ITC shows. His company's releases have brought me countless hours of viewing pleasure and will continue to do so for years to come.

Let’s hope his successor will continue the vintage program
because I am impatient to get the BD of the long hour Danger Man.
Be seeing you.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn

Sad to hear about this. Thanks for letting us know this, Jeff. Almost all of my UK stuff is from Network and I would be missing lots of all-time faves without them.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory

Let’s hope his successor will continue the vintage program
because I am impatient to get the BD of the long hour Danger Man.
Be seeing you.
With Network Distributing now gone https://filmstories.co.uk/features/...mmer-blow-for-niche-dvd-and-blu-ray-releases/ I wouldn't get too hopeful for a BD edition of Danger Man, even though ShoutFactory has retained the optical distro rights for some time.
https://shoutfactory.com/products/secret-agent-aka-danger-man-the-complete-series

The standard Blu Ray lossless audio will if anything highlight the frequently distorted soundtrack of that series, no doubt due to a careless lack of gain monitoring and/or the recorder/mixer inputs were possibly over driven deliberately during original recording and/or post production mixing.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Some of the sound distortions are unique to the Shout release. Just as an example, there's a "flanging" or swooshing of the sound in "The Not-So-Jolly-Roger" in the Shout sound mix that's not in the A&E release.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Great archive interview with Tim Beddows from 5 years or so ago, recommended reading. Once again, R.I.P. Mr. Beddows and R.I.P. Network.

Wow, fascinating article Jeff, thanks for sharing it. Tim Beddows was really passionate about what Network did. He was a fan first, and it really showed. It makes his death and the demise of the company he started even sadder.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
They did justice to the ITC TV catalogue. I'm sorry they didn't do anything with some of the shows ITC produced for foreign markets, like Oh Susannah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks