What's new

Zombie Movie Appreciation Thread (2 Viewers)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Zombie Hunter Rika - Third in a loose trilogy that includes Zombie Self-Defense Force and The Girls Rebel Force of Competitive Swimmers, this bit of J-zombie silliness has schoolgirl Rika traveling to her grandfather's remote village, little knowing that it's been overrun by the living dead! After losing an arm to the ghouls, Rika's grandpa replaces her severed appendage with that of a recently-killed (and very male) zombie hunter! Rika is then transformed into an Olympic level zombie-slayer who must battle the zombie master Glorian (maybe there's something lost in translation) for the lost souls of the undead! Oh my! Has its moments but lacks the offbeat charm of its predecessors. Import DVD.
** out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: *** out of ****
[/COLOR]
Onechanbara: Vortex - Sequel to Onechanbara once again finds our bikini-clad heroine battling the living dead in a post-apocalyptic world. Unfortunately this boring tripe offers nothing the first film delivered. If anything Vortex makes you feel the need for familiarity with the source material (in this case a video game) as it really is an incomprehensible mess. The flashy, over the top (but very cheap) effects only add to the air of desperation. Import DVD.
* out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: **1/2 out of ****
[/COLOR]

Samurai Zombie - A vacationing family is kidnapped by a gangster couple and forced to enter a forbidden zone haunted by the titular warrior and his undead minions. Eventually joined by two cops and a giggling madman, will any of them survive the bloodthirsty fiend's killing spree? Goofy and surreal, with at least one cringe-inducing bit of gore and a plot twist copped from a certain Akira Kurosawa classic. Import DVD.
**1/2 out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: *** out of ****[/COLOR]

Explora

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis
Hi - I'm trying to identify an old zombie movie (b&W) where the opening scene takes place in a graveyard covered with fog... somebody hides in a dark crypt and I think manages to escape.
That's about all I have, but I remember it was a good movie. Any idea what the title may have been? I could be wrong and it may be a werewolf movie. Sorry about the vagueness.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Doghouse - Brit zomcom about a group of "lads" who take their depressed and soon-to-be-divorced buddy on a road trip to an isolated hamlet where the women outnumber the men. But when they get there they discover not birds waiting to be plucked but slavering cannibals of the fairer sex variety - the result of a nasty government bioweapons experiment that's turned the female villagers into ghouls! Gory slapstick ensues. Entertaining up to a point, but it overdoes it a few too many times. You know something is wrong when you spend more time wondering how such a tiny, out-of-the-way place could support a fully-stocked hobby shop! R2 DVD.
**1/2 out of ****
[/COLOR]
Apocalypse of the Flesh Eaters - Typical no-budgeter about a young woman and her dunce of a martial artist boyfriend who are trapped in his dojo by the living dead. Cue kung fu shenanigans - apparently not the most effective defense against zombies, mind you! There's at least one decent idea here - that the dead are aware of their miserable existence and beg for help - but more often than not the film falls back on sloppy, lazy writing. Still, the attractive, miniskirt-clad heroine makes this a worthwhile spin for undead enthusiasts. R1 DVD.
** out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: ** out of ****[/COLOR]

Zombie Gangbangers - Also known as Zombie Ninja Gangbangers (despite the lack of any ninja), this nasty bit of misognystic work chronicles the tale of a hooker who is repeatedly raped by a gang of zombies. Not only do the police not believe her, they rape her too! There's a mad scientist behind it all but by the time he showed up I was nodding off. Yes, despite its premise the film is dreary and boring. The acting is atrocious and the attack scenes aren't even graphic which disqualifies it from having any kind of sleazy appeal. For zombie completists only.
BOMB!
[/COLOR]
Chemical 12-D - Well done but overrated short has a scientist kidnapping a zombiefied little boy in the hope of finding a cure for the undead plague that's swept the world. The twist ending just doesn't have the effect it should have. R1 DVD.
**1/2 out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: **1/2 out of ****[/COLOR]
In A State Of - Earlier short from the creators of Chemical 12-D follows a group of foul-mouthed friends as they try to survive in a world being overrun by flesh-eating ghouls. The director states his unhappiness with the film (based mainly on the rampant cursing) but I actually enjoyed this tense, exciting offering more than its follow-up. On the Chemical 12-D DVD.
*** out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: *** ot of ****[/COLOR]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sketch of the Dead - Humorous short about two best friends who discuss what to do in case one of them is bitten by a zombie. Not bad, but the funniest thing about it is that one of the two looks like Dennis Miller.
www.atom.com/funny_videos/sketch_of_the_dead/
**1/2 out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: ** out of ****

[/COLOR]
Savaged - Not-so-surprising horror thriller stars Debbie Rochon as a woman who takes a housesitting job to get away from her abusive boyfriend. But little does she know the family pet has special needs! Before you can say "zombie dog" she's let the pooch out and unleashed a reign of terror... A good try but the best thing about it are Debbie's boobs. R1 DVD.
** out of ****

[/COLOR]Zombiegore - German zomcom (at least I think it's supposed to be a comedy) is more a series of dumb vignettes as a never-ending stream of characters battle zombies. Has a certain bad movie charm at first but quickly grows tiresome. The silly/cheesy effects can't save it.
* out of ****

Reanimator Academy[/COLOR][COLOR= #99cc00] - Very cheap knockoff of the Reanimator films has a college student whipping up a reanimating agent in his frat house (his boozy roommates take it in stride when he introduces them to the reanimated head of a decapitated standup comic). Meanwhile a gangster has just whacked his prostitute girlfriend in a fit of rage. After the student goes public with his successful discovery he's coerced by the badguys into bringing the dead hooker back to life. ...and you can see where this is going. No frills nonsense barely entertains.
* out of ****
Splatometer rating: ** out of ****

[/COLOR]Fear of the Living Dead - An axe-wielding heroine holds her own in a world of the living dead, but what of the mysterious man she encounters? What is his agenda? The twist ending of this short makes little sense, but otherwise it's a decent try. R1 DVD.
** out of ****
[/COLOR]Drunk Vs. Zombie - "Award-winning" short (guess it had no competition) about an encounter between a staggering drunk and a staggering zombie. Meh. On the Fear of the Living Dead DVD.
* out of ****
[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: zero out of ****

[/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]Deader Country - Sequel to Dead Country finds a half alien/half zombie creature unleashing another plague of mind-numbing boredom...sorry, another plague of zombies hapless Aussies. Very cheap and tinny-sounding film makes one pine for an Ed Wood flick. I suppose Deadest Country is in the making. Don't wake me. R1 DVD.
BOMB!
Splatometer rating: ** out of ****[/COLOR]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Mommy Doesn't Feel Good - Unnerving short about a newly-divorced mother who comes home from her hospital job feeling a bit....unwell. Her two children sense that something isn't quite right with her. Pretty accomplished for a first-time effort, with darkly comic homages to Night of the Living Dead and Hitchcock. If you're put off by violence towards children, skip it, but this is a mini-masterpiece of zombie horror. R1 DVD. ***1/2 out of **** [COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: *** out of ****[/COLOR] Must Love Brains - A lonely zombie guy finally finds the zombie girl of his dreams but is horrified to find out she has an aversion to the grey matter he so loves. One joke comedy would have worked better as a short. R1 DVD. *1/2 out of **** [COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: *** out of ****[/COLOR] Commando Zombies - Tired tale of KIA soldiers reanimated as undead commandos and sent behind enemy lines in modern day New Jersey - I mean, Nazi Germany. I could not abide this VERY cheap rip-off of Inglorious Basterds. R1 DVD. BOMB! [COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: * out of ****[/COLOR] The Dead Dwell Among Us - Curio purports to be a "lost" 90-year old documentary about a zombie outbreak in 1920s Florida. Obviously not shot on authentic film stock but otherwise pretty effective - this movie is really creepy! The evocative score is especially well done. R1 DVD. *** out of **** [COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: * out of ****[/COLOR]
Destroy All Zombies! - Super cheesy Japanimated short riffs on J-monster movies. Frustrated by an outbreak of zombies the mayor of Tokyo declares war on the living dead. Comic carnage ensues as the citizenry destroys the undead in increasingly violent and creative ways. Funny up to a point but it overplays its hand. R3 DVD (part of the anthology disc Horrors from the Rising Sun). **1/2 out of **** [COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: **** out of ****
[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by SteveGon /forum/thread/215558/zombie-movie-appreciation-thread/360#post_3635589
[COLOR= #000000]Look ma! We're in a Michael Bay movie! The living dead prowl the streets
in Deadlands 2: Trapped.[/COLOR]Steve,
Thanks for Checking out my flick, Deadlands 2, I see by the 3 stars you gave it you seemed to have somewhat enjoyed it. I appreciate you taking the time to give an indie filmmaker a shot with your precious viewing time. It is much appreciated and I hope you'll check out Deadlands 3 when i get it done in 2012.
Thanks
Gary

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Gary, you're welcome! And I am looking forward to Deadlands 3!

3addd3e1_Evilution.jpg

Ain't this shit supposed to be green?

Evilution - An alien bacterium spawns zombies and mediocrity in this forgettable horror outing that involves army soldiers and tenement dwellers battling the undead. But hey, if you like Sy Fy channel-ish claptrap... R1 DVD.

* out of ****

[/COLOR]
be3a0fc6_deercreek.jpg

Dental surgery for zombies in Welcome to Deer Creek.

Welcome to Deer Creek - Obscure little cheapie set in the small town of Deer Creek, Ohio where an annual corn festival is the big to-do. Fun times, but when a revenge-crazed father infects the corn with a strange chemical most of the residents turn into rabid, flesh-craving freaks! Will anyone survive the slaughter? Good enough if you need a micro-budgeted zed flick fix. R1 DVD.

** out of ****

[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: **1/2 out of ****[/COLOR]

Game of the Dead - Amusing (if pointless) French short about a group of zombies playing Russian roulette. Only the loser DOESN'T blow his brains out!

http://www.gameofthedead.fr/index2.php

**1/2 out of ****

Dead at Dusk - Innocuously-titled but impressively-made no-budget short about a group of friends on the run from zombies.

*** out of ****

[/COLOR]
All out of scotch and surrounded by zombies! You'd be moody too!

The Dead Outside - Murky drama about three conflicted survivors of a 'neurological pandemic' who hole up at an isolated Scottish farm. Beset by crazed plague victims and their own inner demons, will any of them survive? Has that self-important indie vibe to it at times, but worth a look. Beware the thick accents. R2 DVD.

**1/2 out of ****

[/COLOR]

Noooo!!! Not another pointless remake!!!

The Crazies - Disposable redo of George Romero's infected classic. Slicker and dotted with a few good moments (and a bombastic finale) but hardly an improvement.

** out of ****

[/COLOR]
I told you we should have gone to the mall!

Apocalypse of the Dead (aka Zone of the Dead) - Ken Foree returns to battle the living dead in this Serbian undead epic. Very much in keeping with its cheesy Italian brethren, down to the dubbing and silliness (one zombie roars like an elephant). Foree even gets to paraphrase his famous line from Dawn of the Dead. Good fun. R2 DVD.

**1/2 out of ****

The Clown - Nifty little French short about a zombie clown. Dominique Pinon is almost unrecognizable in the title role!

See the Dead - Somewhat effective short has a woman waking up in the middle of a zombie outbreak. Or does she? And what really happened to her son? Beats me.

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1050346265/

** out of ****

[COLOR= #ff0000]Splatometer rating: *1/2 out of ****[/COLOR]

Gays versus Republican zombies. Oh my!

Zombies of Mass Destruction - Politically-charged zombie thriller has two gay men, a U.S.-born Iranian girl and a liberal mayoral candidate fighting off both the living dead and their right-wing antagonists. The point is hammered home (literally at times) and the films lacks a certain vitality, but what remains is a curious blend of politics and undead mayhem. R1 DVD.

**1/2 out of ****

773f1e0d_david

[/COLOR]
R.I.P. Mr. Carradine.

Autumn - Based on a popular book, this interesting but flawed (due mostly to its shoddy production) zombie flick follows a group of average people as they try to survive an undead apocalypse. After an incredibly virulent virus takes out most humans, those that survive have to find a safe haven - obstensibly from the billions of disease-causing corpses (something never really explored in a zombie film) strewn about. Things grow even more complicated when those corpses get up and shamble around. And even more complicated when they grow hungry for warm flesh... Maintains your interest, but you're left with the feeling that it really could have been something. David Carradine has a small role, one of his last. R1 DVD.

** out of ****

Rise of the Dead - Above average homemade zombie flick has four pals spending their spring break on an isolated farm. Unfortunately for them their beer-swilling days are quickly put behind them when they're attacked by a horde of zombies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl7wUHVuvz4&feature=related

**1/2 out of ****

[/COLOR]

She's hot, she rides a horse, she's....dead?

Survival of the Dead - And here we have George Romero's latest. The National Guard bandits seen briefly in Diary of the Dead end up on an island where the living is hampered not so much by the living dead as by two Irish clans engaged in a Hatfield/McCoy feud. One side wants to dispose of the zombies, the other wants to keep them (or at least their undead family members) around. Guess which side our heroes take? Don't go into this expecting a classic - with his golden years behind him Romero has instead delivered an entertaining, competently-produced chapter in his rebooted dead series.

*** out of ****

f3fd2ff4_rec2.jpg

[/COLOR]
Guys! You'll never believe what happened to me!
[COLOR= #ff0000]
[/COLOR]
Rec 2 - Sequel picks up where Rec left off as another team of experts/victims enters the quarantined building in search of a cure for the threatening undead epidemic. They quickly discover that the infected are actually possessed by demons (hinted at in the first film) but hey, demons or virus, these fast zombies will kill you just the same. Some dumbass teens are thrown in for good measure in this tense shocker. A bit too much screaming and shaky-camming, but otherwise a lot of fun. R0 DVD.

*** out of ****

[/COLOR]

romzom

Auditioning
Real Name
romzom
Love of the Dead (2010)

A disturbing little zombie romance. Pretty good production value for a zombie short, unique take on the genre. Check it out.

SonnyFern

Auditioning
Real Name
Sonny
42337305_liztorture1_0005.jpg

4a01eac7_Openingscene_0001.jpg

Here's the first 40 seconds from my zombie flick Highway 91-

Gonna be out soon from Down Twisted Studios!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
That looks great! Can't wait to see it.

Been too long since I've posted here. I'll try to get a new post up soon - lots of zed flicks to talk about!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
A Chemical Skyline - Homemade short finds a group of friends trapped in the countryside during a zombie outbreak. Not bad of its type, with an ending that ties it to Night of the Living Dead. R1 DVD.

** out of ****

[COLOR= #b22222]Splatometer rating: ** out of ****[/COLOR]

Zombies Unleashed - Cheapo feature follows a group of urban mercenaries as they hunt zombies on the streets. But the living prove to be more dangerous than the living dead! Set entirely at night, this manages a certain creepy ambience which, while probably accidental, gives it a boost above the norm. R1 DVD.

** out of ****

[COLOR= #b22222]Splatometer rating: **1/2 out of ****[/COLOR]

Resident Evil: Afterlife - Alice returns in this fourth entry, kicking zombie and monster ass while trying to subvert the evil machinations of the Umbrella Corporation. Good-looking film, but awfully shallow and redundant. The added dimension doesn't help. R1 DVD.

** out of ****

[COLOR= #b22222]Splatometer rating: *** out of ****[/COLOR]

4614f97f_resident_evil_afterlife_30-535x356.jpg

Alice and friends in Resident Evil: Afterlife.

The Zombie Connection - Low rent short pits drug dealers against the living dead. Who ya gonna root for? Italian production makes previous spaghetti zed flicks look like Kubrick films. The abrupt finale doesn't help. R0 DVD.

* out of ****

E'Gad, Zombies! - Comic short set in the 1700s. A foppish poet's pursuit of his lady love is interrupted by a zombie outbreak. But which is more dangerous: the undead or his conniving servant? Ian McKellen narrates and has a brief (and rather pointless) cameo at the end. Good fun if you enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. R0 DVD.

*** out of ****

[COLOR= #b22222]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/434850/width/1000/height/800[/COLOR]

Eighteenth century zombies in E'Gad, Zombies!

Rammbock (a.k.a. Siege of the Dead) - Solid German outing has the residents of an apartment building beseiged by an army of the "infected." Surprisingly good; the short running time helps. R2 DVD.

*** out of ****

d0ebdb51_rammbock_01_jpg_700x450_q85.jpg

Rammbock, or Why Zombies Shouldn't Play With Matches.

Mutant Vampire Zombies from the Hood - Ever wonder what happened to C. Thomas Howell? He's now playing cops who battle mutant vampire zombies in the hood! Cheap and clunky, but just watchable. R1 DVD.

** out of ****

a0331904_MVZFTH2.jpg

"Shoot, dammit! My career depends on it!" C. Thomas Howell and company battle the undead in Mutant Vampire Zombies from the Hood.

The Duty of Living - A soldier is detailed to clear out zombie-infested houses, including that of his own family! Short is more polished than most, but the overbearing soundtrack is distracting. R1 DVD.

**1/2 out of ****

The Devil's Playground - A drug company's latest product turns users into raving, cannibalistic maniacs. Will anyone survive? I guarantee you won't care by the end of this 28 Days Later wannabe. It's true a good movie could be made from the premise (see Rammbock), but the filmmakers didn't even try. For what it's worth, "free runners" were used in the making of the film to lend it its "rampaging zombies" authenticity. Run away from this movie. R2 DVD.

*1/2 out of ****

The Horde - Balls to the wall French actioner pits bloodthirsty cops and robbers against a horde of ferocious zombies that has them trapped in an apartment building. (I'm never going into an apartment building again!) Brutally efficient. R2 DVD.

**1/2 out of ****

36691eda_horde6.jpg

A cast member of The Horde finds himself in an untenable situation.

Paris By Night of the Living Dead - Over the top short has young lovers battling zombies in the City of Lights. Too jokey and outrageous to be taken seriously. Viewable for free on various websites.

** out of ****

66567052_Paris-by-Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Movie.jpg

Artwork for Paris By Night of the Living Dead.

Siege of the Dead - This homegrown effort about a group of friends trying to find a safe haven during a zombie outbreak is surprisingly engrossing given its barebones budget. The DVD edition is very hard to find but the filmmakers have thankfully uploaded it to Youtube. Don't confuse it with Rammbock, which is also known as Siege of the Dead.

Four guys and a camcorder = Siege of the Dead.

Bonus trailer!

Aris Maestros

Auditioning
Real Name
Aris Maestros
Hello There!!!our new film coming out soon it's an indiependent production, everyone who likes the zombie films join us in facebook
riseoutpro.tk
Code:
(function(d, s, id) {
  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
  if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1";
  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));
8feb79cb_Zombietrap2001MovieWallpaper.jpeg

thank you so much...

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Steve, Its been a year since the last update. I have to believe you are saving up for a "monster" post...(he said hopefully)....? Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks