What's new

Zenith DVB 318 & LG 7832 DVD Player merged thread (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I would hypothesize that it is probably more of an issue with the X1.

The X1 occasionally loses synch with the unit on a white screen on the older firmware. A popular Samsung HD tuner + X1 had an issue with this. Infocus said the problem was an issue with the Samsung transmitting an out of spec signal for a digital device. Apparently a lot of products aren't quite up to standard for all-digital devices yet, but work fine on other analog type equipment.

Infocus came up with a firmware update that fixes the out-of-synch issue with the Samsung HD tuners (and coincidentally, by reports, the occasional out-of-synch problems that some other units also get with the X1).

I would guess it's not so much a design flaw as an issue from the combination of the two units.

PhilWW

Agent
Have you received the 318 yet? How's its performance? PQ? Any improvement over your Panny? Problems? Post your review and let us know.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten a call back from Expert yet saying they have the one in stock they promised me. I will post and comment when I get my hands on one.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Heh, yeah, since i posted that i've purchased the LG and have been enjoying it very much the last month :)

Miles

Second Unit
I've tried my local Leon's (Dartmouth, NS) and they had one unit on display and refused to sell it. I've tried Future Shop, Whacky's, Radio Shack...

Does anyone have any tips for the Halifax/Dartmouth area?

Or, even better a Canadian place that would sell it via mail-order?

Thanks,

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
What i did was went to LGcanada's website, used the dealer locator, then just called up each of the dealers asking if they sold it...

If Leon's had it on display, wouldn't they sell it too? :confused:

Miles

Second Unit
Yes, but they said it would take 3-4 weeks to ship it to their store. They just had the single display model.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I'm not sure whats going on when I upconvert the signal to 720p or 1080i. When i upconvert from 480p to 720p or 1080i the whole screen shifts to the right about 2 inch's on these modes and I have a bright white line at the top of the picture. Anyone have an idea of why this is happening.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
the white line appears when you switch resolutions (not always, but usually). To get rid of it, you just switch off the player and turn it back on again.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I tried that, it cleared it on the 1080i but not the 720p. Why is the picture shifting to the right when using the upconversion from 480p to 720p or 1080i?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, each time you switch, you gotta switch it off and back on again.

So if you switched it on at 1080i, and wanted to get to 720p, you gotta press the upconvert button to 720p, switch it off, and back on again. However, most people jus tleave it at one resolution, so its not that bigga problem...

Im not sure bout the shifting on your PJ.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Is the white line at the extreme top of the image, ie. is it part of the video scan info? If so, what if you adjust the image position vertically very slightly by raising the image until the white line disappears?

StephenL

Second Unit
The first time I used the player I set it for 1080i and there was a horizontal white line in the top row of pixels, about 10 pixels wide near the left corner. I turned the player off and on to correct the problem, and I haven't seen it again.

The entire image was shifted slightly to the left on my projector, an NEC LT150. I used the projector's horizontal position adjustment to correct this.

Is there a way to turn off the multi-angle icon that is displayed on screen during some movies, Tomorrow Never Dies, for example? Very annoying.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I still get the white bar on 720p no matter what. I can also use my vertical shift on my projector to adjust the picture, but this shouldn't happen? Right? Why when the player is set to 480p my picture lines up correctly but when changed to 1080i it shifts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks