What's new

Zenith DVB 318 & LG 7832 DVD Player merged thread (1 Viewer)

JohnnyKretentiv

Stunt Coordinator
Good!! It just took a little courage and justification. By justification I mean that you probably convinced yourself that you were going to buy a new DVD player if this did not work out for you. :)

I do that all the time. That' how I got my DVB318 in the first place.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Just read until you need glasses. If you wait until you go blind, you won't be able to enjoy your DVD player.

Chris

RonaldS

Grip
Dear Group,

After working for a while (after I unplugged and plugged in my DVB318), my player went completely dead. It does not respond to the buttons on the front of the player or the remote control.

I guess I will be looking for a new upconverting player but am hesitant to buy a new DVB 318 because of my durability experience with the one I have now and my concern that the new builds will allow upconversion only by DVI and not component. It seems that the upconversion through DVI has not been satisfactory for many people.

Thanks,

RonaldS

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I just got a new 318 and it upconverts fine via components with the well-known hack. The region free hack also works great. I could not be happier . . .

Gary_A

Auditioning
Does anyone know if the Zenith DVB-318 or LG 7832 will perform a function like the Panasonic players where the zoom is incremental, so you can take a 2:35:1 movie with black bars and slowly zoom to eliminate some or all of the bars to appear more like a 1:85:1 movie?

Normally I do not use any zoom or stretch functions, but with incremental zoom, it is so slight, it actually does not detract too much from the PQ.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Yes Gary_A, the player does have incremental zoom, both horizontal and vertical. It's rather quite neat, and great for making non-anamorphic video anamorphic.

StephaneD

Auditioning
From what I read, especially from the Secrets HT review, this player is better when used with DVI (assuming you have the DVI firmware update).

So I do not understand why so many people in here prefer using it with Comp. (asides from those how do not have choice due to connectivity limitation), what am I missing?

Also, it just me, I can not believe that have not release a new firmware to resolve the lock up when connected to a HDMI display :angry:

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Part of the reason is the limited amount of DVI inputs. Some folks have their HDTV receivers or other devices running over DVI. HDCP-DVI switchboxes are kinda expensive, especially with an IR receiver, and then you have to program macros to do the switching.

So they run HDTV via DVI and the DVD player via component.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I gave the LG 7832 a try for the first time today. Managed to find one on clearance at a local store. I decided to try it out with "Finding Nemo" first, and I can only describe my experience as disappointing. Right off the bat I was experiencing macro blocking. Not just in the shadows either. I tried recalibrating my video levels, switching from DVI and component, and the macro blocking is still there.
I guess its back to the store with this unit tomorrow. I believe I'll be sticking with my old plain-jane progressive scan DVD player for the meantime.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Although the Zenith/LG DVB318/7832 is reputedly one of the worst regarding macroblocking, you will likely see the problem with any Faroudja FLI23xx player when used with your display. You might try a Zoran Vaddis upscaling player if you want to try another inexpensive player.

Chris

Real Name
Joshua
Just posting to get the 10 posts so I can post links (I LOVE this forum, posting links in my questions will make it easier!)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Joshua,
Thanks, I was wondering why this 5 year old equipment was so popular.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Ha, so you bumbed a 2-year old post? This player was popular for quite some time due to upscaling over component connections and I have the DVB418, the follow up model, still connected at my sister's house. It works really well.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks