What's new

Your top 5 Hitchcock films. (1 Viewer)

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
When I want to relish and share the "Best" of Hitchcock in terms of his incomparable craft and art of filmmaking combined with masterful audience identification and manipulation, I watch:

1.Vertigo
2.Rear Window
3.North By Northwest
4.The Man Who Knew Too Much ('56)
5.Psycho

They also happen to be my "Favorites" to watch.

But on any given day I could easily choose to watch Marnie, Suspicion, Dial M for Murder, Strangers on a Train or The Birds instead and feel I had just feasted on his genius as well 😉

Going even further than the concept of "Best" vs "Favorites", I consider Vertigo, Rear Window and Psycho to be Hitchock's "Great" movies and among the Greatest Movies Ever Made in terms of their high level of craft, art, exploitation of the intrinsic strengths of the form, influence on other filmmakers and, at least in the case of Psycho, impact on the culture.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The first three are easy. After that there are many which could take 5th or 6th place. Today’s choice:

Vertigo
North by Northwest
Psycho
Dial M for Murder
Spellbound

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here are my 5 favorite Hitchcock movies in alphabetical order:

The Birds
Notorious
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
To Catch a Thief

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
1) Rear Window
2) North by Northwest
3) To Catch a Thief (my first Hitchcock)
4) Notorious
5) Strangers on a Train

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Psycho (I’ve seen this soooo many times)
The Birds (more than any other, got me hooked on Hitch)
Rear Window (once I start it, I can’t stop)
Dial M for Murder (I love 3-D; Milland, Kelly, Williams, all perfect)
Shadow of a Doubt (there’s a reason why he liked it so much)

Honorable mentions:
I Confess and The Wrong Man (cuz they deserve more love)

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Five Favorites:
1. The Paradine Case
2. Vertigo
3. The Birds
4. Foreign Correspondent
5. Young and Innocent

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Thanks for all your replies. The reason I started this thread was because in the Frenzy thread I was surprised when one poster said it was in their top 5 Hitchcock films, and thought it would be interesting to see which films would be chosen. I could have said greatest or favourite but left it at top. My number one choice is my favourite and I think greatest, Ernest Lehman wanted to write 'the Hitchcock picture to end all Hitchcock pictures', he succeeded.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
My 5 Favorites:
1. Vertigo
2. Rear Window
3. The Birds
4. North By Northwest
5. Tie between The Man Who Knew too Much and Suspicion

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for all your replies. The reason I started this thread was because in the Frenzy thread I was surprised when one poster said it was in their top 5 Hitchcock films, and thought it would be interesting to see which films would be chosen. I could have said greatest or favourite but left it at top. My number one choice is my favourite and I think greatest, Ernest Lehman wanted to write 'the Hitchcock picture to end all Hitchcock pictures', he succeeded.
Interesting considering I’m not the biggest fan of North by Northwest like many people in this thread.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Interesting considering I’m not the biggest fan of North by Northwest like many people in this thread.

I really like the movie - and it’s a perfect Cary Grant performance at the heart of it - but every time I watch it, I think it’s too long. I think I put it on my top 5 list anyway but I think a lot of his later period films starting around then have a bit of bloat. There has to be 10-15 minutes that could be trimmed out of the film without really changing the experience.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I really like the movie - and it’s a perfect Cary Grant performance at the heart of it - but every time I watch it, I think it’s too long. I think I put it on my top 5 list anyway but I think a lot of his later period films starting around then have a bit of bloat. There has to be 10-15 minutes that could be trimmed out of the film without really changing the experience.
The studio wanted it cut to two hours but Hitchcock checked his contract and as expected had approval of the final edit. No directors cuts of his films, they were all directors cuts!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like The Man Who Knew Too Much even less than North by Northwest. I always thought Stewart and Day’s characters acted stupidly throughout the entire movie. I prefer the original film version. Both, the 1956 film version and North by Northwest aren’t in my top ten favorite Hitchcock films.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My favorite is Vertigo. I will have to start binging his films to come up with 2-5.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Vertigo is a wonderful film with peerless cinematography. I used to have it higher than fourth but over the years I've liked the early reveal less. Plus, Kim Novak isn't such a good actress as the other 'Hitchcock blondes', Vera Miles would have been better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks