What's new

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So, it sounds like the Blu-ray is definitely an old transfer, probably the same one that has been on streaming platforms for years, it’s safe to assume there won’t be a 4K upgrade on iTunes which often happens when Paramount releases new Blu-rays.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I have always been fond of the movie.
I didn't see Nicholas Rowe in a role again until I saw him in Shackleton and I think he was one of the weed growers in Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The studio only released this in steelbook packaging, which, in my opinion, has better artwork than the two previous DVD releases.

I doubt any secondary distributors like Kino or Shout! would even take a mess like this. One would think Paramount would take some pride in preserving their library. Some of the stuff they gave to Imprint pretty much sucks, too. Does this studio even have a rep reading these pages? Perhaps sending Paramount Home Entertainment a link to this thread would have some effect?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I doubt any secondary distributors like Kino or Shout! would even take a mess like this. One would think Paramount would take some pride in preserving their library. Some of the stuff they gave to Imprint pretty much sucks, too. Does this studio even have a rep reading these pages? Perhaps sending Paramount Home Entertainment a link to this thread would have some effect?
I sent a complaint to customer service, who promised a response within 2 business days. That was on Thursday, 2/2.

The link for Paramount Home Entertainment customer service is:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I sent a complaint to customer service, who promised a response within 2 business days. That was on Thursday, 2/2.

The link for Paramount Home Entertainment customer service is:

Thanks for the link -- I have also sent them a message.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is an Amblin production with "Steven Spielberg Presents" as part of the title. You'd think he'd take an interest in a quality presentation, especially with the film's historical place in using early CGI technology.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I've never seen this and went ahead and blind bought it from Amazon. Interestingly, Amazon sent me an empty envelope. Never had that happen before. So, contacted customer service about getting it resent, they informed me they would not do a replacement on this order because it was listed as delivered and would only do a refund. So, I took the refund and probably will not reorder it.

I was curious to see it, and had Amazon been willing to just send me the disc rather than a refund I would have gone with the disc. Since they went with refund and told me if I wanted it, I needed to reorder it, I think I will pass. I am kind of fed up with Amazon and don't much want to order from them anymore. Cancelled orders, delayed orders (for months), and now sending me a sealed empty envelope, well...it's just been a one lousy experience after another.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would hope the negative reaction to this would push Paramount to go back and do a fresh scan and reissue/replacement but not likely.
This isn't the first "Cow Pie Cheese Cake" Paramount has unleashed on a weary public!! Since the positive realease of thier marvelous "the Court Jester" with Danny Kaye and thier Paramont Presents series, it seems to be a wide swinging PQ/AQ toss of the dice!!

As I've stated before, there seems to be no leadership on these projects. Or at least no one controling the QC line of defence before the prints are OKed and the discs are created. One bad release should have been the Red Flag!!! But this is happening wayyyyyyyyyyy too often to be unintentional or maybe they're more about quantity and not quality? Intended or not, for me, that seems to be the message being sent out with releases of infirior quality, as we have all seen currently by Paramount Home Video.

Yes, there has been alot of changes in the past 3 years and changes in corporate and personell with in the shuffeling of the studios. that being said, other companies such as Warner Bros are on thier feet and roocking it!!! Paramount reall needs to get ther collective "Poop in a group" and stop being asleep at the wheel.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not clear if it's no leadership, or a case of too many leaders. It's almost like different groups are working on different titles with no central oversight or QA/QC, and have vastly different ideas about how things should look or what looks "good".

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm not clear if it's no leadership, or a case of too many leaders. It's almost like different groups are working on different titles with no central oversight or QA/QC, and have vastly different ideas about how things should look or what looks "good".

Isn't that essentially the same thing? I'm sure that Todd is saying that there's no one at Paramount akin to George Feltenstein at Warner or Grover Crisp at Sony who's providing a singular set of standards for the studio's catalog.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Isn't that essentially the same thing? I'm sure that Todd is saying that there's no one at Paramount akin to George Feltenstein at Warner or Grover Crisp at Sony who's providing a singular set of standards for the studio's catalog.
That is not to say that it never happens at Warner or Sony. Warner recalled the 4K release of Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior due to an error with the 5.1 track and issued replacements. The first pressings of the first volume of the Columbia Classics 4K Collection included the wrong special features disc for Lawrence of Arabia and the studio issued replacements. However, the stereo track on Real Genius on both the UHD and Blu-ray discs has major static issues, yet Sony has been unresponsive.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Not only does Paramount give DVD era transfers on legacy titles but also maks you sit through Interpol warnings, choose a language and then to top it all off if you take the disc out and later pop it back it it doesn’t remember where you left off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks