XBox now #2 in the UK

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Michael St. Clair

So the XBox is now barely #2 in the USA and UK markets.
    Is this more than you expected for the first year, or less?
    And when you are getting pantsed in Japan, does it matter that much?
    How do you think the 'Box will do in Korea and China after it launches there?

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I look at it as either the Xbox is doing better than expected, or the Gamecube is doing less than expected. Or, you have to say that they are both doing poorly compared to the PS2, but that was somewhat expected anyway!

Also of note is that while the hardware sales are almost even, the Xbox is selling 38% more software than the Gamecube. The attach rate is pretty good for Xbox at this point, at 4.6 games per Xbox. (source: NPD)

-Dan B

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I suspect the Cube will jump in sales with Metroid and/or Zelda. Possibly even by the end of the holiday season from people buying it as a present.

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

What are the total sale figures across Europe in general? I doubt when European developers are creating games, they regard their potential customers as being primarily from the UK.

7. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

I also suspect the same for the Xbox with Splinter Cell, MGS2: Substance, Unreal Championship among others. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, as tastes vary quite a bit for Xbox owners, it seems.

8. Michael St. Clair

9. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

Michael, thank you for illustrating my point further.

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I think in the UK, X-box is going to do well this Christmas providing MS get their act together and to a decent advertising push over the festive season.

It came out here in April remember, so this will be it's first Christmas in England, and it's been through two major price drops since release and it's current price, along with the package deals of the Sega GT and JSRF may ensure good sales this Christmas.

I think the most recent price drop and Sega bundle announcement have made a lot of people think "well, its a great price now, but we're so near to christmas I will wait until December"...

I hope it sells well over December. Been AGES since I got an X-Box game due to the price of software here, but I do plan to get Tony Hawks and Splinter cell (and if it's any good) Harry Potter by the new year

Dan

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jason, If XBox is being pantsed in Japan, it greatly reduces the desire of the quality Japanese developers to make new exclusive titles for XBox that aren't being paid for by MS

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. Michael St. Clair

True, if the XBox beats the Gamecube as a whole throughout the world, Japanese developer support will improve.

However, it would be even better if the 'Box can beat the 'Cube in Japan. Then you might even see some more exclusives. If the 'Box wins everywhere else, you might see a lot more cross-platform titles for it, which would still be good.

I'm now actually considering for the first time that the XBox might be the second-most popular console in the world by the end of this generation. That is no small accomplishment.

Remember, when PSX came on the scene, no existing player dominated the marketplace like Sony does now. The world was pretty much 50-50 between Nintendo and Sega. There is never any way anybody other than Sony could be #1 at the end of this generation, they had more momentum than has been seen in the industry in decades.

14. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

15. Michael St. Clair

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

When you say "X-Box is #2 in UK" do you mean in overall sales or in sales over the last week or so? If the sales have picked up the pace, then that doesn't mean much, but if it means that the sales have been outpacing the GCN for a while and are now ahead overall, then that means something.

Overall, I think that game delays are going to make it more evident where all the consoles are next spring. A lot of big games, like Zelda, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Tomb Raider: AoD, etc., won't be out for another few months and could greatly influence console sales.

17. Michael St. Clair

18. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer