What's new

XBox 360 Price Announced: $299 Standard/ $399 Premium (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I'd recommend NOT pre-ordering this online, based on the bundle packages being offered thus far.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I still think this will be like the PSP, with plenty available, and a ton on eBay not selling. They're pushing the HD capabilities of this machine, and a high majority of the public A) Does not have an HD ready set and B) Does not want to spend $400 on a system. Lucky for me, I fit into C) Has an HD set, and has $400. :)

Doug

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I don't know. I can't see this being like the PSP, mostly due to the fact that it's coming out around the holiday season. This is going to be a pretty hot item. Most every new console launch has been this way (except maybe the Dreamcast). I'm not going to predict PS2-like shortages, but I don't think you're going to be able to get a 360 on day one unless you pre-order one or camp out in front of stores that morning.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I am not going to pre-order one, just see what I can get locally on launch day. I think the relative high price $499CDN for premium will keep inventory around for a while.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, I didn't get a Dreamcast at launch, so I wasn't really sure. I was just guessing because I really don't remember there being any hype around it like the PS2.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
You know what? After thinking about it the other night, I think I'm waiting on the 360. Taking a look at the original Xbox, I remember buying the system and 5 games within the first couple months, but then getting almost nothing new until the fall of 2002. I forgot about the first year drought that all consoles go through, where you get next to nothing post-launch. The DS looks to just be edging out of it, and the PSP is right in the middle of it now. The launch games will all be there after the first price drop, and there'll probably be a whole slew of other new games coming at that point. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not sure about paying a premium for playing a couple of launch games early anymore, or for settling on buying mediocre post-launch games in order to have ANYTHING to plug into the console.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
$399 is quite a chunk of change (though I'm not saying it's not worth that and more...lots of impressive tech under the hood). More than likely too rich for my blood at this point, but I'm definitely considering it. Might have to do the old Wal-Mart layaway...

The last time I bought a console at launch was the Dreamcast (which had plenty of hype at the time, 9.9.99), which at $199 and a killer app like Soul Calibur available at launch, wasn't such a plunge.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I love my Xbox, I am a Xbox supporter. But now I'm presented with a new situation, that I've never been faced with when it comes to my Xbox loyalty......I have to ask myself ..............Xbox bundle or SV Sub, hm.........

Miles

Second Unit
Hey Chris,

There may be a drought during the first year... as well as developers who package xbox-level games as XBOX360 titles. Most of the DS releases are not really taking advantage of the hardware and are mostly GBAdvance titles...

There is a difference though, and that's online play... Call of Duty for the PC is a relatively old game now and I still play it. If there are some good XBLive enabled 360 titles, they should hold you through the dry season :)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Man....if you don't have an SVS....I would Deffinately get an SVS now over a 360 as long as at some point I could get a 360

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have an opinion on CNN's Chris Morris' column? Maybe having the 360 out of the gate earlier isn't as detrimental to Sony's pricing and sales strategies as some analysts and consumers feared.

I read somewhere that the decision to offer a $300 Xbox 360 was mostly driven by the European market, where consumers are even more cost-conscious than their N. Americans counterparts (if I can just remember the link...).

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
That is a pretty interesting theory, and his comparison to the PSP is spot-on. Everyone thought that thing was going to have a crazy price, and $250 really did seem like a bargain when they announced it. Or maybe that's just me and I'm a sucker for Sony's tricky marketing.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I think there will be some fairly available around launch. $400 is a lot - it will deter some.

Even though I've pre-ordered, I'm kinda ambivalent. I agree w/ the post launch lack of titles - my PSP is gathering a bit of dust now. It just seems to be the way with all systems. I can wait until January and then pick up the system and probably get just as much enjoyment out of it by the time Halo 3 comes out vs. if I get it on launch day.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be tough as hell passing on launch. I'll wait until the heat dies down this time around. Still have a whack of Xbox games that need to be played!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Be strong man! Perfect Dark and Oblivion will still be there when the price drops, and they may have some new friends too.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Gabe Newell says: Xbox360 makes my life worse.

The latest issue of Computer Gaming World has an interview with Gabe Newell, Valve Software’s founder and managing director, in which the developer of Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike discusses various topics including the release date of Aftermath, Lost Coast and Day of the Defeat Source.

Gabe also had time so discuss Windows Vista, the next-generation operating system from Microsoft due out late next year, and the Xbox 360.

As you can see, Valve’s head honcho and former Microsoft employee isn’t happy about the fact that developers can’t rely on the Xbox 360 hard drive and he’s probably not the only developer who feels that way.

Make sure you pick up the latest issue of CGW, which hit stands next week. There are more interesting items in that interview, including Valve’s revelation that EA plans to offer a Steam-like service in the near future."

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9103/G...My-Life-Worse/

I'm sorry, I just can't find it in my heart to shed a tear for ol' Gabe. What say you?

RichardK

Second Unit
The Omega Bundle... Limit one per customer!!! :D

also, these bundles are worthless...I dont think you save a penny buying these bundles.
20games @ 60 ea. = $1200
1 prem. console = $400
accessories = $400 =
total $2k...geez if i'm dropping 2K (or even $600) I would expect to save at l0% on the 'bundle'...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks