What's new

X-men : First Class sequel officially returning (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Well, not many people stayed after the credits of The Last Stand to see Prof. X somehow transfer his body into Moira Mctaggert's patient so most people are probably thinking he died in that film. Yet, he's coming back for DoFP. So it shouldn't be a problem to have Cyclops appear in the new film. Perhaps they're dismissing The Last Stand like it never happened and we'll see Jean Grey too.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Most likely, everything from the first 3 films in in danger of "not happening" with the alternate Sentinel ruled future. The irony of Scott and Jean being in the film would be they will fighting to preserve a timeline where Jean kills Xavier and Cyclops.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Singer on time travel and multiverses:
"It's epic. We get to bring both casts together. We've cracked it in a way that makes sense. I had a two-hour conversation with James Cameron about time travel, string theory, multiverses and all that. You have to create your rules and stick with them. That's what makes TERMINATOR and BACK TO THE FUTURE work so well. And there are certain mechanisms in X-Men, certain powers, perceptions and characters, that make this possible. More than any of the movies I've made, it comes to me much more quickly than on other films. With Superman Returns I struggled a lot. I guess it's either my history with the X-Men universe or I have some kind of knack for this particular story."

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I guess I'm the only one disappointed by all this casting news. I have no clue about the source material, I'm just a fan of the movies. I loved Singer's X movies but, I really loved First Class and was hopping for a direct sequel to it, spend more time with these characters and watch them grow. Now we are getting some weird crossover movie and I have a feeling the FC cast is going to be pushed into the background. I'm just not as interested in this movie as I would have been for a FC only sequel.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A few more comments form Singer:
"It has a lot of aspects of the comic. The actual comic of 'Days Of Future Past' had a whole ton of stuff going on, so it’s like any of these things; you have to distill it. But I think the fans will be pleased that some of the most exciting parts of 'Days Of Future Past' are going to be connected to this movie."
"I’m taking into account every movie – I’m not just grabbing my first two movies and First Class and smashing them together. I’m taking into account the entire universe as it’s been laid out so far on the screen, and really respecting it and trying to work with that. People took things in various directions, so there’s some clean-up," he confessed. "But ultimately I’m not just ignoring them either."
Ha, "clean-up". Here's hoping he scrubs pretty hard on those X3 and Origins stains. ;)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Chris Will said:
I guess I'm the only one disappointed by all this casting news. I have no clue about the source material, I'm just a fan of the movies. I loved Singer's X movies but, I really loved First Class and was hopping for a direct sequel to it, spend more time with these characters and watch them grow. Now we are getting some weird crossover movie and I have a feeling the FC cast is going to be pushed into the background. I'm just not as interested in this movie as I would have been for a FC only sequel.
I really liked First Class. I thought it was second only to X2. But ultimately, the X-Universe needs to get back to focusing on modern adventures. Fox's plans for developing their own interconnected Marvel movie universe (like what Marvel has done with the Avengers) doesn't really work if they keep their main "X" title set 50 years in the past. They'll be doing Fantastic Four, Deadpool, and probably various other X-Men spinoffs, and they want to be able to have a cohesive film universe with the potential for crossover event movies (like Avengers), so they gotta move X-Men back to the present eventually. I too would like to see more of what they started with First Class, but they can't keep the franchise there. What they are doing with this movie is a great way to adapt a classic comic story and bridge the two time periods. I think it's a really cool idea. Superheroes, time-travel, alternate timelines, the opportunity to "fix" some of the crap that was done in other movies..... sign me up! But they absolutely MUST keep the Magneto theme from First Class. Maybe they'll eventually try to keep the two franchises (present and past) running concurrently. That would be pretty cool, actually. But either way, their plans for their Fox-Marvel film Universe necessitates re-starting the present day X-Men films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
I'm hoping that the returning cast from the first three movies are more extended cameos than having 50 percent of the screen time. In other words, we seen them in the glimpses of the dystopian future that the "First Class" cast is trying to avoid. Because I agree, the exploration of this alternate American history infused with mutants is a much richer world to play with than yet another film set in the modern day. When Vaughn was still attached, he had a terrific Idea for the pre-credits sequence:
The film opens with the Kennedy assassination, and you realize that Magneto was the man on the grassy knoll, using his powers over magnetism to guide Oswald's "magic bullet."

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Chris, DoFP will be a direct sequel to First Class. A portion of the film will take place after FC and there will also be futuristic sequences. Cant say anything more without ruining it for you.If youre curious, you could always look up the storyline on wiki. I think they will ignore the "additions" to the story that came years after the 1981 comic book, and use the Claremont/Bryne story for inspiration.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
They should definitely use that classic comics cover design for at least one poster. How dumb would it be not to? But they'll probably just do the floating heads or something.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Peter Dinklage latest addition to an already large cast! Puck anyone? Or perhaps Uatu? http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/peter-dinklage-joins-x-men-days-of-future-past

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
The story thus far... - Mark Miller hired to oversee Fox's Marvel Cinematic universe - first movie starting the "universe" will be The Wolverine, July 2013 - Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn switch positions. Singer becomes director, Vaughn becomes producer of X-Men: Days of Future Past - Josh Trank hired to direct the Fantastic Four reboot - Matthew Vaughn hired to produce Fantastic Four reboot It's pretty obvious to see the link between The Wolverine and X-Men: DoFP. So, what's the link between X-Men; DoFP and Fantastic Four (other than Vaughn)? Franklin Richards. Son of Reed and Susan Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic and The Invisible Woman. He also happens to be a pretty powerful mutant who just happens to be involved (married) with Rachel Summers, daughter of Scott Summers and Jean Grey. Of course with both Scott and Jean dying in X3 (FU Ratner!) they'll probably change that. So my theory Franklin Richards will be a major player in X-Men: DoFP and events in this movie (due to the time traveling) will result in Fantastic Four Reborn which will lead to other countless Fox marvel properties starting phase 2 of Mark Miller's Marvel Cinematic Universe. my 2 cents, of course...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Halle Berry is back as Storm in Days of Future Past. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/175331-halle-berry-suits-up-for-x-men-days-of-future-past

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan
Halle Berry is back as Storm in Days of Future Past.
I guess they needed her but I can't say I'm thrilled to hear that. IMO, she overacts in just about everything. How on earth she is constantly rated as one of the best Bond girls ever I will never understand. I thought her performance in that Bond film was the worst thing I have ever seen her do, and her X-Men appearances aren't much better.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Jose Martinez said:
Of course with both Scott and Jean dying in X3 (FU Ratner!) they'll probably change that.
:laugh: That is so true. What in the world were they thinking with X3! Why kill one of the most consistent & recognizable character (Scott/Cyclops) from your story after a whopping 2 episodes (and 2:00 minutes of a 3)? It was one of the stupidest thing I've seen done in these films. After the Avengers success, you know some Fox (& Marvel) executive was sitting there thinking "Would someone tell me again why we did that ". Perhaps this new film will redeem all of the mistakes of the X3 film (parts of which I really did enjoy), and continue to move it forward again. I'm fine with Halle Barry and others returning. I like the sound of that.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Brian Singer tweeted a picture of Beast's new look
image.jpg
Much better than the cat look from First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks