What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WWI movies on DVD - suggestions please... (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have noticed a gap in my war theme DVDs - missing are movies centered around WWI. Are there any good ones out there? Would like to include at least one in color and/or more modern release and at least one about the Navy and dreadnoughts for that war. Open for suggestions!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The Oscar-winning, AFI 100 film All Quiet on the Western Front. That 1930 original is in B&W. A good, Golden Globe-winning made-for-TV remake--from 1979, starring Richard Thomas--is in color.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
As dated as the film is, All Quiet on the Western Front truely captures the essence of WWI: It was started by beareucrats, fought by the middle class, and was based on propaganda.

Bryan

BrianP

Supporting Actor
One I can think of not mentioned is the Blue Max. Some great aerial footage and it is in color. Another I would highly recommend is Sergeant York if it were on DVD.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The Lost Battalion was a made for TV movie that aired a few years ago on A&E and has some nice battle scenes. It's not quite as good as Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front, but if you are looking for a more modern World War I film it is worth checking out.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Peter Weir's Gallipoli (title tt0082432 on IMDB - can't post URLs yet, sorry) is a pretty good film, I enjoyed it. I have no idea what the DVD is like though.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto on Gallipoli.

Not only is it Peter Weir at his best, Mel Gibson at close to his best, it's the best Australian film ever made (coming from an Aussie who generally despises Aussie films).

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia of course. Can't help you on a WWI naval film.

Not really "war movies" but 3 movies set in Russia during the 1914-1918 time period that do have battles or deal with the war in some way and all are on DVD:

Dr. Zhivago

Coup De Grace, Volker Schlondorff film about a woman who falls in love with one of the German soldiers bivouacing at her home and fighting for the "White" side in the Russian Revolution.

Archangel, Canadian director Guy Maddin parodies silent and early Russian films with his sort-of comedy about an American soldier in revolution-torn Russia whose memory loss after a war injury leads to strange experiences.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
There's The Lighthorsemen.

I'm still working on a Naval flick. Should be something on Jutland, but maybe not.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad the All Quiet on the Western Front DVD has a terrible transfer. You figure it would be getting the SE treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous01
Recent bookmarks