What's new

WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME...? SPECULATED CRITERION TITLES FOR 2014 (3 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
dana martin said:
[*] Apu Trilogy
[*]The Lodger (Hitchcock)
[*]Spartacus (upgrade- and done correctly)
[*]Touch of Evil
[*]Double Indemnity
[*]Detour (finally)
[*]Utegsu (upgrade)
[*]Ikiru (upgrade)
[*]Ace in the Hole (upgrade)
[*]Red River (rumored long time)
[*]The Unbearable Lightness Of Being (upgrade)
[*]Women In Love
[*]Bad Day at Black Rock ( yea I know it’s WB, so was Badlands!)
[*]Persona
[*]A Matter of Life and Death
[*]Oliver’s Shakespeare Box Henry V (upgrade),Hamlet (upgrade),Richard III (upgrade)
[*]Tess
[*]Lean Box Oliver Twist (upgrade), Great Expectations (upgrade), Summertime & Hobson’s Choice (upgrade)
[*]Kind Hearts and Cornets (upgrade)
[*]The Kid (Chaplin)
[*]Judgment at Nuremburg
[*] Inherit the Wind
[*]The Go-Between
[*]Day for Night ( yea I know it’s WB, so was Badlands!)
[*]The Decalogue
[/list]

that's my 25, I know, I cheated and counted box sets as 1
that's one right so far

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I'm keeping out upgrades for my 25; here's what I would like to see released:

The Kid
Satyricon
The Parallax View
The Lady from Shanghai
The Day of the Locust
The Long Voyage Home
All the King's Men
Marty
Sayonara
Romeo & Juliet (1968)
The Confession
The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
The Emigrants/The New Land*
Barry Lyndon
Atlantic City
The Magnificent Ambersons
Ossessione
The Lost Weekend
I Am Cuba
The Red Tent
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
Targets
The Long Goodbye
Don't Look Now
Gallipoli

*(I know this brings the total to more than 25, but you can't have one without the other)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
dana martin said:
[*] Apu Trilogy
[*]The Lodger (Hitchcock)
[*]Spartacus (upgrade- and done correctly)
[*]Touch of Evil
[*]Double Indemnity
[*]Detour (finally)
[*]Utegsu (upgrade)
[*]Ikiru (upgrade)
[*]Ace in the Hole (upgrade)
[*]Red River (rumored long time)
[*]The Unbearable Lightness Of Being (upgrade)
[*]Women In Love
[*]Bad Day at Black Rock ( yea I know it’s WB, so was Badlands!)
[*]Persona
[*]A Matter of Life and Death
[*]Oliver’s Shakespeare Box Henry V (upgrade),Hamlet (upgrade),Richard III (upgrade)
[*]Tess
[*]Lean Box Oliver Twist (upgrade), Great Expectations (upgrade), Summertime & Hobson’s Choice (upgrade)
[*]Kind Hearts and Cornets (upgrade)
[*]The Kid (Chaplin)
[*]Judgment at Nuremburg
[*] Inherit the Wind
[*]The Go-Between
[*]Day for Night ( yea I know it’s WB, so was Badlands!)
[*]The Decalogue
[/list]

that's my 25, I know, I cheated and counted box sets as 1
2 so far

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
When you add "(upgrade)" to an already released title, what does that mean. The implication, as I read it, is that there's something wrong with the disc as released. Why do so many titles need upgrades? Or are you simply referring to releasing a Blu-ray of a title that Criterion previously released only on DVD?

Thanks.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
My wish list, regardless of reality:

1. Spartacus - upgrade
2. Cutter's Way
3. Hard Eight
4. No Highway in the Sky
5. Croupier
6. Popeye (Yes, the Altman one. Just for the bonus features...)
7. David Mamet 3-pack (House of Games, Homicide as upgrades, plus Things Change as a new Criterion)
8. The Magnificent Ambersons (carrying over the bonus material from the laserdisc) - upgrade from laserdisc
9. Alec Guiness set (Including Kind Hearts and Coronets)
10. Pinero
11. Dead Calm
12. River's Edge
13. Runaway Train (Incorporating the European bonus content and adding more)
14. Never Cry Wolf
15. The Silent Partner
16. The Sugarland Express
17. The Day After (providing a good HD transfer and a new commentary with Nicholas Meyer - restoring the audio for the ending)
18. Sticks and Bones
19. The Man in the Glass Booth
20. Lenny
21. Leaving Las Vegas
22. Shine - upgrade from laserdisc
23. Missing - upgrade

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My wish list, regardless of reality:14. Never Cry Wolf
I like your choices, Kevin. So far, except for a pair of Michael Bay releases, Disney has not licensed anything to Criterion, especially under the actual "Disney" banner. I, too, am anxious for someone to release NEVER CRY WOLF, which could make a stunning Blu-ray. Unfortunately, the Mill Creek releases seem to have stopped, so our only hope is the Disney itself will release it (unlikely) or will license it to another third party.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Dick said:
I like your choices, Kevin. So far, except for a pair of Michael Bay releases, Disney has not licensed anything to Criterion, especially under the actual "Disney" banner. I, too, am anxious for someone to release NEVER CRY WOLF, which could make a stunning Blu-ray. Unfortunately, the Mill Creek releases seem to have stopped, so our only hope is the Disney itself will release it (unlikely) or will license it to another third party.
Actually, the Wes Anderson films Rushmore, The Royal Tenebaums and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou are all licensed from Disney, as are Indiscretion of an American Wife and Chungking Express (though the latter is now OOP due to Disney no longer having the US rights).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Brandon Conway said:
Actually, the Wes Anderson films Rushmore, The Royal Tenebaums and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou are all licensed from Disney, as are Indiscretion of an American Wife and Chungking Express (though the latter is now OOP due to Disney no longer having the US rights).
I sit corrected. Thank you. But Disney doesn't seem to want to license it's "Disney" titles, which unfortunately include NEVER CRY WOLF, RETURN TO OZ, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, etc.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)The Boy Who Turned Yellow (1972)Conspiracy (2001)The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)Don’t Look Now (1973)Duck, You Sucker! (1971)Fail-Safe (1964)A Fistful of DollarsFor a Few Dollars More (1965)Fury (1936)The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)Gun Crazy (1950)Hobson’s Choice (1954)I Know Where I’m Going (1945)A Matter of Life and Death (1946)Melody (1971)Once Upon a Time in America (Original Cut) (1984)The Parallax View (1974)Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)Seven Days in May (1964)The Seventh Victim (1943)Spartacus (1960)Summertime (1955)Swimming Pool (2003)Z (1969)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would like to throw out Castle Keep (1969) with Burt Lancaster, Scott Wilson, Bruce Dern, Peter Falk. An overlooked gem, IMHO. Seems like a perfect Criterion candidate.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Kevin EK said:
My wish list, regardless of reality:
I like this idea, that's what I'm gonna do (except mine won't be entirely English-language movies). I can never keep track of which studio owns what anyway...

1. Time of the Gypsies
2. Eraserhead
3. anything by Ming-liang Tsai (please!!)
4. The Vertical Ray of the Sun and/or The Scent of Green Papaya
5. The Trial
6. The Exterminating Angel (upgrade)
7. Nights of Cabiria (upgrade)
8. The Apu trilogy
9. An Angel at My Table (upgrade)
10. Innocence
11. Drugstore Cowboy
12. Bergman faith trilogy (upgrade)
13. Do the Right Thing (with correct color)
14. Cairo Station
15. Werckmeister Harmonies
16. Mulholland Drive
17. Safe
18. A Page of Madness
19. Red Beard (upgrade)
20. Songs from the Second Floor
21. Syndromes and a Century
22. Picnic at Hanging Rock (upgrade)
23. Devils on the Doorstep
24. Devi
25. A Moment of Innocence

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly isn't happening as Fox has already confirmed that Criterion will not be releasing the supposed remastered edition coming in 2014. I say supposed because I've still not seen any legitimate proof as to its existence. There's a really small chance that MGM might license out Giu La Testa to them but I'd say it's a safe bet that Criterion won't be doing any other Leone titles either.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I won't have 25(as Martin above mirrors my choices)...but...Anything MoodyssonA Call Girl (Crit is giving us BiTWC)The rest of BreillatSleeping Beauty (Emily Browning)Ricordati De Mi(if I spelled it right)Malena

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
DSmith1984 said:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly isn't happening as Fox has already confirmed that Criterion will not be releasing the supposed remastered edition coming in 2014. I say supposed because I've still not seen any legitimate proof as to its existence. There's a really small chance that MGM might license out Giu La Testa to them but I'd say it's a safe bet that Criterion won't be doing any other Leone titles either.
I think it's a bit much to start talking about 'proof' at this stage - we never have that until there's a press release, or similar.

In terms of 'evidence', we do have some. The comment was made at their (Fox Germany) Facebook page that they were re-mastering TGTBATU, and Rocky, and the latter has now been formally announced for early next year.

It's not unusual for a title to appear on Criterion in the US and a more traditional label elsewhere on the planet.

Of course, I agree that it'll probably come from Fox in the US if/when it does appear, I was just printing a 'hope' list really.

Steve W

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Yorkshire said:
I think it's a bit much to start talking about 'proof' at this stage - we never have that until there's a press release, or similar.

In terms of 'evidence', we do have some. The comment was made at their (Fox Germany) Facebook page that they were re-mastering TGTBATU, and Rocky, and the latter has now been formally announced for early next year.

It's not unusual for a title to appear on Criterion in the US and a more traditional label elsewhere on the planet.

Of course, I agree that it'll probably come from Fox in the US if/when it does appear, I was just printing a 'hope' list really.

Steve W
I just can't imagine Fox letting this go to Criterion. I've always understood this to be one of their marquee titles. I'd love to see them get it but I have no belief that they will.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
DSmith1984 said:
I just can't imagine Fox letting this go to Criterion. I've always understood this to be one of their marquee titles. I'd love to see them get it but I have no belief that they will.
I'm not sure it's up to Fox where TGTBATU or Rocky will go. MGM controls who releases their titles and lately MGM has been leasing them out to other companies. Fox was and is just a distributor for titles that MGM wanted to release themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks