What's new

Would You Buy A Series Out of Order? (1 Viewer)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I've only done this with one show, and it was the first show I collected. With Friends, I wasn't able to order online at that point and could only buy as I found the sets, so I purchased Season 3 (my personal favorite, BTW), Season 1, Season 4, then Season 2. With Season 4 on, I've purchased each season on the release date. Otherwise, I haven't and don't plan to do it.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive so I really only buy a series in order. It helps me keep things organized and straight in my head. Also, I get easily confused. :frowning:

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
i bought the x-files out of order. i got 1 during the christmas 50% off sale then during the best buy sale i got 6 then 3 and 4 then 5 and 7. and then 8 and 9 during ddd 20% off.
i still don't have 2 :frowning:

so buying out of order sucks but i had to when the prices were right.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

Same here, although for me it was The Simpsons. I bought season 2 a while after it came out; I had read the many negative season 1 reviews so I decided not to get it. I bought season 3 right after it came out, and it didn't take me long to finish it. After that, I decided that to ease the wait for season 4, I'd finally buy season 1--and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd read.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Yes. But I don't really like it! I've been trying to collect Star Trek TNG for a few months and I've been able to get Seasons 1,2,3 and 7 from various online retailers for about $55-60 bucks.

Being a college student, that's really all I can afford to spend on titles and let's face it, Star Trek collections are ridiculous.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I forgot the Law & Order shows, but that was more because Universal skipped ahead.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, if it's released out of order - e.g. Frasier (although I dont intend to watch season 11 until I've watched the rest)

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
I like to purchase them in order because I like to watch an entire series in order and not miss an episode. I think it's kind of cool knowing it's in your control and you don't have to worry about it airing out of order.

Roger_R

Second Unit
I'm buying Doctor Who out of order because that's how BBC releases it. I'd prefer season sets, but then there would be less work done on each story...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

That's exactly what happened to me with Image's original volumes of The Twilight Zone. They got them all out. It was just in a chaotic order. With those amazing season sets, Image has made up for that one though:)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about shows that were released out of order. Survivor is a good example; it came out 1, 8, 2 (and soon 7)--and that's how I bought them.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I don't usually go out of order with TV sets. 'Frasier' was an exception since I recieved season 11 as a Christmas gift. It'll finally be nice to fill in that gap. Also, last month I picked up the 3rd season of '24' without having bought the first 2 sets. I saw it previously viewed for only $30 (CDN) so it was hard to pass up. Now I just have to get around to buying 1 & 2.

LizH

Second Unit
I'll do it if I prefer one season over another. :)

I didn't really care for the first three seasons of "Star Trek: Voyager" :frowning: (IMO, they reeked of warmed-over TNG ... with Kes occupying the Deanna Troi role.)

I didn't really get into it until S4 (when Seven of Nine came onboard. )

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The only two series I've gotten out of order thus far has been Star Trek: DS9 and Star Trek: Voyager. With DS9 I got seasons 1-3 in order, then jumped to S6, then went back and picked up S4 and S5. All that remains is S7. With VOY I've gotten S3-S7, which means going back and picking up S1 and S2 to round out the collection.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on the show. If Barnaby Jones ever comes out on dvd, I only want the last 4 seasons so I would love it if they would put those out first. However most shows I wouldn't buy that way because you lose the story if you don't go season to season. Things like the Law and Order shows you can buy out of order and still enjoy but you do lose some of the background on the characters.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I did it with Twilight Zone Collections 1-5, but now I am buying the season sets. I would buy other shows like that (especially anthology series) depending on what show it is.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I've done it with Dark Shadows for two reasons:

a) Financial- if I can bid on an out-of-order volume at a low price on eBay, I'll get it.

b) Storylines- some volumes have really great epsiodes or storylines that are better than others. I bought Vol. 19 before 18 because 19 starts the show's 1970 Parallel Time storyline, one of my favorites. On the other hand, Vol. 18 (which I just won via eBay) continues the H.P. Lovecraft- inspired Leviathan storyline that's generally considered the low point in the show's history, a real "jump the shark" moment.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I've done it several times. A couple of years ago, I lost my job so DVD purchases were very low on the priority list. Now, working a full time job again, I've been getting the new releases as they come out and just finished the remaining series with gaps. BTVS-had 1,2,3, and 7. Sam's Club had 4,5 and 6 for $37.98 each so I grabbed them.
Would I do it again? It's entirely possible as I do blind buy a series and then will have to fill in if I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks