What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Wonka (2023) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Surprised at how many think the movie was just meh.

I found it charming, funny and borderline magical at times.

The absence of Wilder makes it less entertaining than 1971 but it blows the doors off the 2005 film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Surprised at how many think the movie was just meh.

I found it charming, funny and borderline magical at times.

The absence of Wilder makes it less entertaining than 1971 but it blows the doors off the 2005 film.
It’s so refreshing to see you really like a film Colin. That makes me actually want to see it more. 👍

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Hugh Grant was born to play an Oompa-Loompa.

He apparently hated the filming process for that part.

My wife is a fan of Roald Dahl's original book. She thought the Gene Wilder film version was "OK", and hated the Johnny Depp version. I thought the Wilder film was "OK" (but less so than my wife did), and I had no interest in the Depp version (not a fan of either Depp or Tim Burton).

The trailer for this one looks like it might be enjoyable. Whether we'll get to the theater to see it remains to be seen. Might wait for the disc release or stream it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dude, there are tons of movies I really like.

My reputation as the Guy Who Hates Everything is a myth.
I think you’re just more vocal about the ones you hate than praising the ones you like. That’s just how it seems to me anyway.

I’ll be seeing Wonka next week.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I think you’re just more vocal about the ones you hate than praising the ones you like. That’s just how it seems to me anyway.

I’ll be seeing Wonka next week.
Re: Colin
It's most likely a result of there being more mediocre to awful films than good ones.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
It’s so refreshing to see you really like a film Colin. That makes me actually want to see it more. 👍
For the longest time, Tino, I thought of you as the opposite: there didn't seem to be a movie you didn't like.

Until Kong Skull Island. LOL

As far as Wonka, the trailer didn't do anything for me. I'll probably watch it eventually once it hits Max or one of the other streamers. Mostly because of the praise being healed on Hugh Grant's performance

While I found most of the Tim Burton version boring I did really enjoy the oompa Loompa songs.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For the longest time, Tino, I thought of you as the opposite: there didn't seem to be a movie you didn't like.

Until Kong Skull Island. LOL
Really. That’s interesting. I wonder which is worse. Liking everything or hating everything. 🤔

And Skull Island is still terrible(except for Kong)!🤪

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Really. That’s interesting. I wonder which is worse. Liking everything or hating everything. 🤔

Neither is "better" or "worse".

But I think you're far closer to "liking everything" than I am to "hating everything".

And the truth is that most movies regress to the mean.

Most are... okay. I don't genuinely hate many movies, and I don't genuinely love many movies.

I tend to think the vast majority are watchable but not special.

Like "Aquaman 2" or "Thanksgiving" or "Eileen", 3 movies I've seen of late.

I really liked "Wonka" and "Godzilla -1". Felt bored by "Wish" - but even then can't say I hated it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And I also hate very few films. But there are many I do love. Like POOR THINGS for example.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Interesting discourse about "liking" vs "hating" more films than the other.

As paying moviegoers, I'd like to think we all use a filter before plunking down that hard-earned money. Hence any films we're not interested in, or those that have bad reviews in general, we would not pay to see.

Given that initial filter, the films we end up seeing are likely ones which are more highly-rated (in general).

On the other hand (and this is a question I pondered when thinking, some 25 years ago, wouldn't it be great to be a paid movie critic?), if one has to watch every film out there, for whatever reason, then likely one will end up hating more than liking.

Of course, if you end up watching the film anyway when it comes to streaming (and you're not paying anything extra for it), etc. then that's a different story.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I went to see it on Christmas Eve with the kids and my brother after hearing generally positive things about it. Indeed, it was better than I expected and my youngest stayed engaged throughout, which is usually the deciding factor of whether it was worth the time to take her.

I definitely enjoyed seeing Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa. Chalamet was just OK. I haven't been terribly impressed with his work so far (Dune being the other movie I've seen him in). In Wonka he just seemed kinda flat, even when he was acting like he was kooky. Fortunately, there were other things to enjoy about the movie besides his performance.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Went on a whim to see this film. My wife and I loved it. We then went again with our family to see it over Christmas too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
WB has now uploaded the first ten minutes or so to YouTube. I don't know if anyone has been on the fence about seeing this film or not, but this provides a pretty good representative sample.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
WB has now uploaded the first ten minutes or so to YouTube. I don't know if anyone has been on the fence about seeing this film or not, but this provides a pretty good representative sample.

First movie in years that I saw twice in the theater!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
He apparently hated the filming process for that part.

My wife is a fan of Roald Dahl's original book. She thought the Gene Wilder film version was "OK", and hated the Johnny Depp version. I thought the Wilder film was "OK" (but less so than my wife did), and I had no interest in the Depp version (not a fan of either Depp or Tim Burton).

The trailer for this one looks like it might be enjoyable. Whether we'll get to the theater to see it remains to be seen. Might wait for the disc release or stream it.

He's gotta eat and his star luster has faded somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks